NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Chris

Default How do trades work??

The "T" is B/S/T obviously stands for trades and many offer them and I am sure they happen. My question is how? Who sends the card(s) first? How does it work if $ is involved? It is obviously one thing if your partner is a well-known friend, but i'm talkin about those collectors who only know each other through their Net54 usernames.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Jim R

I knew Steve as a 54 member for-well I really can't remember how long I knew him but after talking for at least a year we finally traded a SGC 40 Uzit for a SGC 10 Victory -and the best part the Victory was a Baltimore player and the Uzit was St. Louis-this is not the norm but one of my best trades ever.

We both sent the cards registerd mail-also we were sure that each of us would get our card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmithVictory.jpg (77.5 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg SmithVictoryb.jpg (44.2 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by cfc1909; 04-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Since plenty of 54 users have no problems sending money payments to total strangers, it shouldnt matter "who goes first" in a trade deal. My advice is to never send anything (money or cards) to a "stranger" unless you can tolerate never seeing it again. Anytime anything of value is at stake, scamsters are sure to be nearby.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Chris

Default Call me cynical

Again, my question doesn't really matter to someone you know and deal with all the time. Under your scenario, what if you didn't personally know the other party, do you just mail away and hope they come through? I mean, if they don't (as Bender would say) you're boned...
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mr.Cynical

You can ask the other trade partner for references and then check them out. I get reference requests almost daily and always oblige, whether I know the person, or not, I will always say. Also, you can tell by the number of posts if the person as been around long, as well as their public profile (click on their name) will tell you when they registered for this board. Those things should help to calm your nerves. It is caveat emptor. regards
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I have done a number of trades on Net54, even one a few years ago for over 7K where I didnt even know the person. It does take a leap of faith but get referrals and make sure everything is lined up and you feel good about the deal then do it. Make sure to get good front and back scans and on my big deals I like to talk to the person on the phone or at least multiple emails just to get a good comfort level.

The deals I have stayed away from were ones where they could not provide a back scan (makes me suspect they even had the card), email communications were slow and not up to par, or it just didnt feel right.

That said one of the best things about trading is I have gotten to met some great collectors and enjoyed talking thru our trades. I really aim for both parties being happy and follow the saying "sometimes you have to give something good to get something good". Not long ago I did a 5 card for one card trade where I traded 5 rare backs to get one card with 2 of the rare backs cards I would have never considered selling and was very hesitant to trade because I have no idea when I can replace them. In the end I gave up the cards and I am very happy with my new card.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Rob Miller

I have done a few trades, albeit of lower value, with no problems as well. Leon has been a big help in providing a reference when needed.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Paul

Done a bunch of trades on the B/S/T. Most by mail for a pittance up to a couple hundred. I just send the cards with fingers crossed and have never been scammed. Of course, I have CIA insurance and so am covered in the event of a loss there.

One of my trades was kinda funny -- I was on business in Phoenix. Saw a guy wanted to trade his SGC 60 Johnson portrait. I emailed an offer of my SGC 40 Green Cobb. He agreed and just happened to live in Phoenix. So I had my wife overnight the card to me and I exchanged with him in my hotel lobby the next day.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Steve Yawitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
That said one of the best things about trading is I have gotten to met some great collectors and enjoyed talking thru our trades.
So true. Jim's become one of my good hobby buddies through our deals.

I don't think I'd hesitate to trade with most of the N54 regulars. Many of you are basically strangers but a community like this does a pretty good job of self-policing. I'd like to think that most of us who have been in the hobby for a while and plan on staying in it value our reputations more than anything we can gain by getting one over on someone in a transaction.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
P.hil €lli$

I think that you just have to have faith in people.....I had some transactions with a member on here in the BST. I wanted to buy some of his cards (Rob) and he even sent it to me before I paid him for it. I had never met him...he had faith in me and I then had an obligation to get him the money as soon as I could.... so I did.

I also do that (believe it or not) in my business. I don't accept credit cards and most of my customers know that. When they forget, I simply say "I know you'll put a check in the mail tomorrow." And they do. You have put the inpitus on them. They always follow through. Maybe I am naive, and maybe I have been lucky, but when you put trust in people, they feel obliged to follow through. Good luck.