NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Trevor Hocking

Default 1907 Tigers Dietsche Poster

I wanted to share a poster that I have had for quite sometime. This poster has always brought up the question to me, does the Cobb feilding card belong in the set or was it a one off? I would like to see what to the board thought. By the way the main reason I bring this up is becasue I really hate seeing that card missing from my SGC set Also does anyone else have a copy of this or the Cubs one? If so please let me know.

Thanks for your looking
Trevor

ps. This is not for sale nor will it be anytime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dietscheposter.jpg (72.7 KB, 303 views)
Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Jimmy M

Default Nice

Trevor, that's a really great piece. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by thegashousegang; 04-08-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Trevor -

That is a very cool item.

and the two pieces behind the Detroit poster are very cool as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Jim VB

Trevor,

That is one of the coolest items I have ever seen!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

ditto - the w601 and Fatima Premium in the background are nice too!

Last edited by Bicem; 04-08-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Joe M.

I don't know if you are from Michigan, but I have seen this poster in a Detroit area restaurant.

Nice piece.

Joe
Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Trevor, is there any indication when that poster was made? Was it during the season? After? A few years after?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

It says American League Pennant Winners at the bottom so it has to be after the season.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snider4prez View Post
This poster has always brought up the question to me, does the Cobb feilding card belong in the set or was it a one off? I would like to see what to the board thought.
I don't think the absence of Cobb proves anything about the set - its a poster of the players on the team - no need to picture Cobb twice. Great piece!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Mark

Trevor - there is a nice thread concerning the NY T200 premium. If you haven't seen it, it's at:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=119887
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Trevor Hocking

Thanks for all the great comments! This is one of my favorite items. The poster has no other date than the one on the top, but I can tell you this, it is made from the same stock and has with the same dull sheen that the regular postcards have. I know that these where listed in the "Big Book SCD" for some time with the Cubs poster shown. I have never seen one before and would love to own the Cubs one. I think this will at least help confirm the date not like it needed it, but now we know that it was at least printed after the 1907 season. I do agree on the Cobb feilding but it does make you wonder if it was not inculded if you bought a whole set in 1907? Thank you on the other items as well. I do love the W601's. I have a quite a few of them. I have been collecting these for 20 years or so. I will start a new thread and show you guys some of my favorites. I will also post the T200 preimums that I have as well, if now one minds? It has been a long time in between posts for me but I lurk everyday. I thought it would be nice if I start sharing with the group to help get things back on track. I don't want to come off like I am showing off I just want to start posting again. Also please know that none of the items I show here are for sale. Thanks again and I look forward to start posting again.

Thanks,
Trevor
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Trevor, just for the record -- this would be an exception to the rule that one should not immediately sell an item posted on the main board. Incredible piece.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Jim VB

Jeff is 100% correct, in this case. Should you decide to sell this piece, the bidding would be spirited, and, we'd forgive you for this shameless plug, almost immediately. (At least, the winning bidder would.)
Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to make it easier

To make it easier can't we just start making offers in this thread? It will sort of cut to the chase and avoid having to do some many unnecessary posts in the correct section(s). All in fun....and Trevor, it's nice to see you back posting again. take care
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To make it easier can't we just start making offers in this thread?
But what if Trevor only wants PM's?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim vb View Post
but what if trevor only wants pm's?
$300....
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Shawn England

Default Hunt Auction

My offer: $950.00

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=945&lot_qual=
Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Trevor Hocking

Very funny guys :-) Glad to be posting again Leon, and no IT IS NOT FOR SALE! I thought if I posted in CAPS like everyone here likes it would get the point maid. (Just the jokes here.)

WOW when the heck did that auction off. Man that makes me sick seeing that. If anyone here won that and would like to make an easy $1k I would buy that for $2k right now. Hunt auctions is the best place to find jewels like that. That poster sold for less than the postcard set would have. I know it is a larger item but so much rare that the postcards. If anyone has one please let me know.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

There is also a Cubs poster available .... same style.

sporteq
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Trevor, I'll echo Leon and say it is great seeing you posting again!

On a side note, as many know (or maybe not) there were two versions of the 1907 Tigers Dietche postcards. The difference has nothing to do with the front image but has to do with the size of the bio information on back. The VAST majority of 1907's have a very small and compacted version of the text, but there is a much tougher version with larger lettering.

Getting to the point, Trevor brought up the Cobb fielding and I haven't checked but is it possible that the fielding Cobb has the larger text and the batting Cobb (the more common one) has the small text? Just a thought and again I haven't done any legwork on the answer as there has been no time as of late as my wife just had our second child on Monday and that is basically my full time job of late!

Here are the 2 versions of Charlie O'Leary from the 1907 set, the one on top is (from my experience) many times tougher than the lower one.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Jeff

Default Dietsche

Rhett, you are amazing at discovering variations. I checked my Cobb fielding and it is of the compacted variety.

Last edited by wrapperguy; 04-10-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Well, there goes my theory then...it was worth a try.
-Rhett

Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Joe M.

In my set I only have 1 card with the large lettering, Mullin. My Cobb fielding and Cobb batting have the small letttering like the rest of my set.
Scans below.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbb.jpg (73.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg dbb 001.jpg (73.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Trevor Hocking

Thank you Rhett as usual your keen eye for variations amazes me! I really never knew that. But I guess this kind makes that darn Cobb Fielding part of the set. If anyone has one for sale let me know as I would love to "finish the set" man I hate saying that in this case. Hey Rhett are you still working on those round things? :-)
Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Trevor, I'm still working on those darned round things! I am down to 39 for the "master set" of E254 plus a few very minor lettering variations that I have noticed, I just found another the other day while looking through my dupes--but I am feeling more like a stamp collector with these at times because of how small the variations can be.

-Rhett

my wantlist:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/wantlist.html

Edited to add: You can also see the variation in the 1907 Dietsche's based on the order of the text in the stamp area, the common one has the 3 lines of text first followed by the "Place stamp here" while the tougher one has the two lines "Place stamp here" first followed by the 3 lines of text (just another way to tell the variation).

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 04-11-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Chris Buckler

Default Dietsche

My Cobb fielding seems to be the larger text version as it is a touch larger than my batting, however I do have another batting with the large text. I find it interesting there is no bio or write-up on the team card. Anyone else have a Dietsche Tigers team card, this is the only one I have seen.

Photobucket

Photobucket