NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Jon Canfield

Default T207 Red Cross Backs

I was reading the description of 1 of the 5 known Red Cross backed T207s in the REA auction and I noted that Rob made reference to the cards being distributed in Louisiana despite the factory designation of NJ on the reverses. I was curious as to how it was determined that these cards were distributed in Louisiana.

I'll begin with a disclaimer - I have no proof to the contrary. However, I actually find it sort of odd that the cards would be distributed in Louisiana. First, of the known cards, I believe all depict Chicago subjects. Second, I believe that 4 of the 5 known cards all originated in a single find in the early 1980's in the Louisiana area. Is this the reason for the Louisiana distribution theories? Couldn't it be equally as conceivable these cards were issued elsewhere, and the find ended up coming from Louisiana after the cards were relocated to Louisiana by a previous owner?

Thoughts, opinion, more info? Leon - also a perfect opportunity to post your card... again!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jon

I posed this same question on another thread a few months back regarding T215's......

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=t215-1&page=6

And, the response was that Lew Lipset identified the Red Cross cards as a Louisiana issue. My understanding
is that this is based on a large find of these cards originating from the Bayou country.

I tend to agree with your thinking that perhaps some large collection from the northeast ended up in Louisiana
due to a move.

TED Z
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Jon Canfield

Ted - now that you point out that thread, I remember it. One other thing I forgot to mention above is that P. Lorillard Co, produced of Red Cross tobacco, was based in Newark, NJ.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default happy to oblige

Always happy to oblige with a relevent scan. (and even not so relevent sometimes). It seems like Lew based the T215 on a bayou find, which is certainly one basis for where they came from. Another might be that T213 & T214 and T216 show a factory in LA (Louisiana) on the backs. It makes sense that if we go in numerical order T215 would be there too. I am also not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt (yet) of where they were produced/distributed, especially since they say NJ on them.

Last edited by Leon; 04-07-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Ron Rice

Default Red Cross

Hi Jon,

Great looking pack! Any idea of it's age? Is there a factory number on it?

Ron R
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Joe P.

Default That is a great looking pack .....

Hello Jon,

We know that the S. F. Hess & Co. N321 cards were from Rochester, New York, and sold on the west coast.

We know that the Contentnea T209 type 1's didn't come with a factory #, so they were hand stamped on.

Do we know where the Mono T217 packs come from ... no factory information to be found.

Thank you.

Joe
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Joe P.

Default I was kind of Hoping .....

Jon, I was kind of hoping that you, or any other pack collector would have any information on the Mono packing?

Would you know anyone that has a Mono pack, that might possibly have factory information?

Thank you.
Joe
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Jon Canfield

Joe,

I do have a Mono pack pictured on my website. However, here it is for reference. As a disclaimer, however, the pack does not belong to me. It does belong to a board member who keeps a very low profile. I will reach out to him later tonight and see if he can provide any additional details.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Jon Canfield

Joe - I forgot to mention that there is also one pictured in Lew's publications (albeit in black and white).
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Joe P.

Default Hello Jon .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Joe - I forgot to mention that there is also one pictured in Lew's publications (albeit in black and white).

I've checked Lew's black and white image, and like your colored image, it doesn't give us the information that we seek.

It's funny, Mark Macrae, and I were discussing the Mono question just a couple of nights ago ... It seems like we've hit a stone wall.
Any info, or thoughts from the back aficionados are greatly welcomed.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 PM

That Red Cross pack is outstanding!