NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Bill Gregory

Default A safe to keep my cards...safe

Hey guys, I've seen some discussion on the forum about safes for our baseball card collections, and I'm looking to purchase one of my own (the cards will also be insured). My question would be about the fire rating for the safes you all have. The one I'm looking at (A Sentry safe) provides an hour protection against fires up to 1700 F (as well as 24 hour protection against water).

Is that enough? It also provides protection against water for up to 24 hours.

As I'll only be keeping my most valuable cards in it, everything will be slabbed, or in one touch cases, and graded bags. So I want to make sure the protection is adequate so the plastic won't melt. The fire station is only about 4 blocks from my house, so I can't imagine that any fire would burn at full strength for anywhere near an hour, but I want some feedback nonetheless.

Thanks!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Chris

I'm looking as well. If you have a link to your safe I'd be interested in seeing it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I got one of those Sentry safes, and its portable...I think mine holds about 30 graded cards or around that much if stackec properly. I reccomend buying one thats gonna hold 100 cards--for future purchases and plenty of room to not mess up the cards. Some people got these towering ones, like gun safes with shelves.
If they are really valuable...people use the bank.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Steve

Interesting. I've considered a safe myself, but in thinking about it, the possibility of fire or flood seems well below the threat of theft somehow. Any size safe sitting in the den seems like waving a flag and screaming, here it is - the jackpot - to any b&e'er that otherwise might not have time for a thorough search, assuming it could be lifted and hauled away using average strength. Maybe I'm not in a typical position, since my collectibles are well hidden in the garage, where they may not be as susceptible to fire damage.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
N@te

If you have the room and dont plan on moving soon, I would be tempted to getting something like a gun safe. It would fit plenty of cards, auto's and some bats. Really just depends on what you have and how much room you have in your house.

If you just have a shoe box size of cards, you'll probably be fine with a smaller safe, just so its hidden somewhere so that someone can't pick it up.

Gun safes can be pretty pricey, but if you have a lot of goodies and you want to make sure they are safe, I'd at least look into it.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Bill Gregory

I've been looking at something like this

Should cover all my needs until my collection gets more valuable. Gets 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Bill Gregory

Hmm, reading one of the reviews about some of the moisture problems with that particular model, and obviously that's a no no for somebody storing baseball cards.

I'll keep researching this, guys, and try to find a solution that I can share with everybody on Net 54. In the mean time, I would really like some feedback from other forum members as to what they use. I know some people like gun safes, but that's a little too big for me. Being on disability, and living with my family right now, I don't want to bring anything too large into the house. I'm looking for something that I can fit in my bedroom that offers fire and water protection, yet ease of portability (100 lbs or so).

Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Bill Gregory

I found a similar thread on the forum from a few years back, and it goes into detail on the moisture issue: here

And a quote from Leon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a 1200 lb jewelers safe where I keep stuff at home and a safe deposit box at Wells Fargo for the valuable stuff. Neither have any moisture controllers of any kind. Being in the south I can't imagine it being too much of an issue as long as they are stored carefully. About 95% of my valuable cards are graded/slabbed too. regards
So perhaps the safe will still suit my needs so long as the cards are properly stored.

It's not like I won't be opening my safe often to look at the cards inside, so "airing it out" every couple of weeks, so to speak, would not be an issue.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Bill Gregory

Looks like Tony N has a great solution, a Remington dehumidifier which is rechargeable.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Look at this one by Sentry:
http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-H33...oof+waterproof
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Bill Gregory

That's a nice one, but it's only 30 minutes of fire protection.