NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Kiki Cuyler cards are awesome

Excited! I just picked up my first Kiki Cuyler card (it's a 1927 h560).

Cuyler established a reputation as an outstanding hitter with great speed. He regularly batted .350 or higher and finished with a .321 lifetime batting average.

Why is Cuyler not more of a "household name"? Please add your thoughts on his career.

Do you own any Kiki Cuyler cards or memorabilia?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Al Richter

Chuck-- you are more likely to find other collectors of this issue on the pre war board
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 AM

LOL ... I'm such a newbie. Embarrassed.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Val Kehl

Chuck, your Cuyler stats piqued my curiosity. I wondered how a player could regularly bat .350 or higher, yet have a lifetime batting average of only .321, so I checked his stats. FYI, of the 15 years that Cuyler had 290 or more plate appearances, he batted .350 or higher only 4 years, with the highest year being .360.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Fleer Baseball Great - Cuyler

Interested in this Chuck? If so, make me a reasonable offer and it's yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171011_210535.jpg (75.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg 20171011_210510.jpg (72.1 KB, 404 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:17 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Kiki

Shirley, Shirley cant be his middle name
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Shirley, Shirley cant be his middle name
Shirley is .....and this is moved to the pre-wwII front page....
Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Thank you Jenx. I also have that card.

I'm not sure about the "Shirley" middle name, lol. However, I did get this info on why he was called "Kiki".

Kiki Cuyler : pronounced Kai Kai , Kai ler

"Two explanations have been given for the origin of Cuyler's nickname, "Kiki". In the first version, he had been known as "Cuy" for a long time. When a fly ball was hit to the Nashville outfield and it was judged to be Cuyler's play, the shortstop would call out "Cuy" and this call would be echoed by the second baseman. The echoed name caught on with Nashville's fans.

In the second explanation, "Kiki Cuyler" came from the player's stuttering problem and the way it sounded when Cuyler said his own last name".

Last edited by Chuck9788; 10-12-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Chuck,

A couple for your viewing pleasure:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 DeLong Cuyler [Front].jpg (54.2 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 Uncle Jack's Candy Cuyler [Front].jpg (35.7 KB, 368 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Derek Granger

here are my favorite Kikis...

1925 Exhibits (rookie):

and the earliest image I have seen of him - from spring training of 1923 in Hot Springs, Arkansas (close-up from a team panorama I own):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4877.jpg (68.4 KB, 346 views)

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Duncan

It's been a while since I read Bill James book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame" but I seem to remember that it was his opinion that playing conditions greatly favored the hitters of that era, including Kiki Shirley, and that their offensive stats are bloated. In his mind this diminished their value and the value of the player as a HOFer.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Due to his early death, Cuyler's autograph is almost never encountered on premium/oversized items. This item measures in at nearly 11X14 if I recall. This style of signature is equally rare, dating to early in his career. My research indicates he only seemed to employ this signature variation for about two years (note the formation of the K's).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuyler, ki ki23INV (2).jpg (81.3 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg cuyler, ki ki23INV (1).JPG (73.3 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 AM

The 1930s were an exceptionally forgiving time for hitters. Surpassed only by 1993-2004ish. Cuyler's on-base plus slugging percentage was only about 25% better than league average. Compare to Matt Holliday at 32% better. While they are obviously very different players (Holliday isn't about to lead the league in stolen bases, which Cuyler did several times), in terms of over all value, Cuyler and Holliday are pretty similar. Cuyler was certainly a good player (so is Holliday), but he's on the weaker end of the hall of fame.

Unfortunately I don't have any Cuyler cards to show, but I liked that DeLong.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Jeff

Here's a cool 1931 PV Reyes Real Photo Postcard of Kiki Cuyler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Reyes RPPC Kiki Cuyler.jpg (56.1 KB, 259 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 10-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
The 1930s were an exceptionally forgiving time for hitters. Surpassed only by 1993-2004ish. Cuyler's on-base plus slugging percentage was only about 25% better than league average. Compare to Matt Holliday at 32% better. While they are obviously very different players (Holliday isn't about to lead the league in stolen bases, which Cuyler did several times), in terms of over all value, Cuyler and Holliday are pretty similar. Cuyler was certainly a good player (so is Holliday), but he's on the weaker end of the hall of fame.
Jay Jaffe's new book "The Cooperstown Casebook" makes the same point, which is similar to what Bill James said in his Hall of Fame book 25 years ago. I don't have Jaffe's book at hand right now, but in terms of Wins Above Replacement (WAR) as calculated on baseball-reference.com, Cuyler had a lifetime total of 46.7. That's the 223rd best lifetime WAR total among position players, tied with Roy White, just behind Tommy Leach and Gene Tenace, just ahead of Mike Cameron and Matt Williams.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

We have a cottage near Harrisville, Michigan. If you're ever up there stop by Ki Cuyler's restaurant. It's across the street from Harrisville state park, which is right on the shore of Lake Huron.

ki-cuyler-s-dugout-1.jpg
ki-cuyler-s-dugout.jpg
Old 10-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Charles Denby Cuyler

My friend Chris found this at the Natl and kindly sold it to me - one of the coolest cards I've ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denby-cuyler.jpg (76.8 KB, 230 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post

Unfortunately I don't have any Cuyler cards to show, but I liked that DeLong.
+1, generally. Cuyler played in the greatest hitter's era ever (runs were actually easier to score in 1927, when Ruth hit his 60 HR's, than in 1998, when McGwire hit 70, when comparing teams' runs averages per game (I was curious about this several months ago, and actually checked). Hence the somewhat deflationary effect attached to players' stats established during the 1920's to early '30's. He was, however, an outstanding player, though probably in the lowest of the three echelons of HOF'ers I usually divide them into.

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Jay Jaffe's new book "The Cooperstown Casebook" makes the same point, which is similar to what Bill James said in his Hall of Fame book 25 years ago. I don't have Jaffe's book at hand right now, but in terms of Wins Above Replacement (WAR) as calculated on baseball-reference.com, Cuyler had a lifetime total of 46.7. That's the 223rd best lifetime WAR total among position players, tied with Roy White, just behind Tommy Leach and Gene Tenace, just ahead of Mike Cameron and Matt Williams.
The problem with WAR is that it yields premiums attached to players who clearly do not deserve them. That is precisely how the Cubs got stuck paying Jason Heyward 184 million dollars over 8 years. Dollars to doughnuts Theo Epstein would love to unload the guy, but I highly doubt that he could even get a bag of used batting practice balls for him. When your methodology yields absurd results, the intelligent person knows to question the methodology. Bill James' runs created formula, originally generated as a means of accurately predicting the number of runs a team would score and proving to be extremely reliable, when utilized in the individual player context is much more reliable in terms of offensive stats. In addition, both OPS+ and wRC+ give more accurate results regarding true player value, although you then have to make mental adjustments for defense and baserunning.

With regard to defense, I found it most interesting that about a month ago, Ken Rosenthal, confronting the gent who is in charge of calculating "defensive runs saved" (a key component of the current WAR), got the latter to admit on MLB Now that a defensive run saved is not actually a defense run saved, because the context of the defensive play is totally ignored. An outstanding play made with two outs and the bases loaded to save a single and hence a run is counted precisely the same as the same play being made with two outs and only a runner on first. Clearly, the latter scenario involves merely a fraction of a defensive run saved, based on run probability. Much more promising is the newer Statcast "outs above average," which takes into account catch probability based on actual data, and thus does not over-inflate defensive value.

Personally, I do not believe the creation of single stat to measure overall player value in such a way that it may be compared to all other players is even possible. It is based on the premise that the "five-tool" player (one who can hit, hit with power, throw, run and field) is more valuable than one who lacks one of the five or more. This is a fallacy for two reasons: (1) all tools are not equally valuable--they never have been and never will be; and (2) the value of each of the tools varies with the player's position.

But, to each his own,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-12-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM

His middle name is his mothers maiden name, just the luck of the draw I guess.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
My friend Chris found this at the Natl and kindly sold it to me - one of the coolest cards I've ever seen.
cool card
Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Ki Ki Cuyler's 1934 Hi # series card......

TED Z
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM

This needs a reply.

"The problem with WAR is that it yields premiums attached to players who clearly do not deserve them. That is precisely how the Cubs got stuck paying Jason Heyward 184 million dollars over 8 years."

Heyward's problem was just a total collapse. His hitting fell off a cliff (and his fielding took a hit too). Dropping from a 117 OPS+ to a 68 OPS+ is going to hurt your value. WAR recognizes this (Heyward was a below average player last year by its measure). There are issues with measuring defense (see below), but the real problem with Heyward isn't so much that his defense was over-valued, it's that he forgot to how to hit as soon as he showed up in Chicago.

"both OPS+ and wRC+ give more accurate results regarding true player value, although you then have to make mental adjustments for defense and baserunning."

A mental adjustment isn't going to do it, you need a way to measure defense and base running. Without measurements you get people thinking that Derek Jeter was actually a good defensive shortstop and similar crazy talk. Rfield and Rbaser are attempts to measure these things (and inputs into the WAR calculation for fielding and running, respectively). They're not perfect - centerfielders stealing catches from corner outfielders is a known issue, for example - but they're better than just watching the guys play and sliding your evaluation up or down. We've got people working on the defensive stats, and they'll improve with time. (As they have already. UZR is much better than fielding percentage.)

"With regard to defense, I found it most interesting that about a month ago, Ken Rosenthal, confronting the gent who is in charge of calculating "defensive runs saved" (a key component of the current WAR), got the latter to admit on MLB Now that a defensive run saved is not actually a defense run saved, because the context of the defensive play is totally ignored."

This isn't a problem with WAR, it's really a philosophical choice. The wins that WAR measures are the wins that you could expect a player to generate if he was dropped down into a random team. That's why replacement level is a generic figure and not scaled to the actual guy in AAA who would replace the player. And it's why the context of the play is ignored.

"Personally, I do not believe the creation of single stat to measure overall player value in such a way that it may be compared to all other players is even possible. It is based on the premise that the "five-tool" player (one who can hit, hit with power, throw, run and field) is more valuable than one who lacks one of the five or more. This is a fallacy for two reasons: (1) all tools are not equally valuable--they never have been and never will be; and (2) the value of each of the tools varies with the player's position."

And I don't understand this part. Frank Thomas was not a five-tool player. He really only had two tools. But WAR loves him, because he was so good at hitting. The all-inclusive stats don't weight each tool equally - actually they don't talk about tools at all. They weight each run (produced or saved) equally, and not all tools contribute the same number of runs (for most players running is pretty marginal, for example), so they don't necessarily end up privileging the guys who have more tools over those who have fewer.

As to the second point. A HR from a shortstop is no more valuable than a HR from a left fielder. But of course it's also harder to play shortstop than it is to play left field (this is why I always played left field in little league, and the kids who were actually good at baseball played short). In WAR this is reflected in a positional adjustment - basically left fielders are penalized for playing an easy defensive position and shortstops are given a bonus for playing a hard one. So if you are a HR hitting shortstop, you both get credit for hitting home runs, AND you enjoy the positional adjustment for playing the harder defensive position.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 PM

Default 1933 Worch Cigar :

..."They say the camera adds ten pounds"....Rajah Hornsby

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Jay Cee

Always liked the R312 series
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6190.jpg (70.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Default R313

Here is a R313
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R313 National Chicle Cubs.jpg (21.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Always liked this photo-

Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 PM
JeR@Me

Default Ki Ki Cuyler

One of my Favorite Nashville Vols...

1923 Nashville Vols Team photo w/ Ki-Ki & a couple of my favorite Cuyler cards... Interesting write ups on the back of cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NashVols1923.jpg (78.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 36WWGCuyler_0002.jpg (77.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-SCOA-Cuyler.jpg (65.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-SCOA-Cuyler-Reverse.jpg (68.5 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 10-16-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Derek Granger

Default 1923 Nashville Vols Team Photo

Jerome - awesome Vols Team Photo! I hadn't seen that one before and am excited to add it to my "checklist". Thanks for sharing!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:00 PM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Jerome - awesome Vols Team Photo! I hadn't seen that one before and am excited to add it to my "checklist". Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Derek! Great Pirate Spring training piece as well!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

By using Kiki, he missed the opportunity to be known as

“The Amazin’ Hazen”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
By using Kiki, he missed the opportunity to be known as

“The Amazin’ Hazen”
Lol

Then there would be no confusion as to pronunciation!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Who has a '25 Exhibits Cuyler for me?