NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default "Legendary" Paper Restoration in their Live Auction!

Before:

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=684&auctionid=811

After:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...100&category=1

"A small repair has been effected at the right side, and paper has been added to the extreme tip of each corner."

Hmmm....big piece of tape removed and the corner which was eaten by a dog is now back! Just a "small repair..." I wonder if the paper restoration company that did this work also did the Keeler Cabinet which Mastro previously butchered?

Regardless, it would seem that Mastr--woops--Legendary again does well following up from a Leland's sale.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Dan Bretta

I suppose it depends on your perspective as to what constitutes a small repair...I'd like to see before and after pictures of the other two programs that Allen refers to as having significant repairs. This one just doesn't scream out to me that Mastro/Legendary is trying to fool anyone.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, how about the before picture of this program itself? Might be more relevant than a reference to similar programs.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm all for disclosing information, and I agree they probably should have before pics of anything that is restored in any way...I'm guessing anyone looking to purchase knew exactly where the program came from.

Did this program sell? Looks like the auction closed with only the minimum bid.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I believe just the internet bidding is closed; this lot is part of the live Mastro auction at the National.

And I'm not so certain that a buyer of this program would have known that it was previously sold over a year ago in Lelands auction. Who can keep track of every single lot in every auction?

Regardless, I can't understand why 'before' pictures were not included or why when giving comparison sales prices of purportedly similar programs Mastro neglected to note what THIS program sold for. After all, which prior sale is more relevant to a prospective bidder -- some unknown "similar" restored programs or the actual unrestored program?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Dan Bretta

Well, if I'm about to drop a hundred grand on a WS program that has disclosed restoration I ask for before pics.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Paper added at the "extreme tip" seems a bit understated given the picture in Leland's. Graphic Restorations does impressive work.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Dan Bretta

Restoration is obvious...they didn't match the paper color exactly at the tips. Comparing the Lelands photos with the Legendary photos it appears that they actually lost a bit of paper on the bottom at the spine.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Michael S

I was watching this and when I saw the restoration compared to the 11/08 Lelands, my jaw just dropped. Can't they just leave this stuff alone? Of course not, we have to chase the almighty buck.

I personally would prefer the pre-restore piece and would not touch this thing. 106 years later and they have to mess with it. The potential problem is will there be full disclosure to potential buyers decades down the road? Heck there is barely disclosure now.

I might be in the market for this in the future and for this piece, there will be a big "no sale" sign around my neck.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM

Legendary says there was restoration and says where it was done, including at the edge where the tape was, so I don't have an issue with the disclosure.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:08 AM

After checking out the Legendary website, it looks like many lots were either passed on or no bid. The remaining lots looked super weak on the selling price. Fredrick Ruth under $6k, t-208 under $4k, etc. I would have bid higher on both of those lots. I think the live auction process doesn't involve the masses and was a dis-service to the consigner. Was that the worst auction in the past 10 years, or am I missing something?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Barry Sloate

While full disclosure of restoration is important, I don't agree that pieces such as this should just be left alone. Old paper becomes very acidic over the years and in time may disintegrate. Even minimal restoration goes a long way in preserving it, and you can deacidify the paper so it doesn't continue to break down.

But I do agree that this one has had more than minimal restoration. There should have been more information provided for prospective bidders.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Greg T.

Nice program, I wish I had that kind of cash to own one. I'm sure my Sox collection won't ever see one.

Restoration - I've done a lot of it on same era brewery advertising to stabilize, preserve and improve the esthetic beauty. Perhaps the program was brittle that restoration was required before it fell apart any further. They did the same thing to Old Glory at the Smithsonian.

I couldn't care less about the $$ when evaluating a piece for restoration. It all depends on your perspective. Sometimes it's not all about the almighty dollar (Maybe it's me, but it seems that the almighty buck rules cards more than anything else in the sports collecting hobby - so much is based on minute condition flaws vs. actual rarity).

I have friends who have restored sports photographs and lithographs.
The auction discloses restoration. If it's not your thing, don't bid.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Andy Palmer

I agree. If it sells for more, then why not? It's their money, not ours.

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Default buyers prospective

I was the lucky high bidder on the restored 1903 WS Game 1 program. I was aware this was the same program Lelands sold. When it was sold in Lelands, I passed on it as it wasn't pleasing to my eye. When it was offered again through Legendary Auctions, with the professional restoration, it was very pleasing to my eye! I'm excitied to own it. Job well done on the restoration and congratulations to an amazing and fun Live auction in Cleveland. Great job Doug Allen and crew.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Great item, before.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default you are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
After checking out the Legendary website, it looks like many lots were either passed on or no bid. The remaining lots looked super weak on the selling price. Fredrick Ruth under $6k, t-208 under $4k, etc. I would have bid higher on both of those lots. I think the live auction process doesn't involve the masses and was a dis-service to the consigner. Was that the worst auction in the past 10 years, or am I missing something?
You are missing something. The T208 went for about 25k after juice....and the Fredericks Ruth went for about 20k after juice. Their website didn't update prices. I was there and had a great time. regards
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Tom Boblitt

Congrats on the program. Don't you think you could have gotten the Lelands program and then had similar restoration performed for a little less than the additional $50K? I would assume the same restorers work for multiple people. Still a beautiful piece.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Tom-Great question. Yes, I could have purchased the program in Lelands and found a restorer on my own, for much less, I imagine. The reason for my elevated bid in the Legendary auction was two fold: 1. Since the last offering in lelands, I was outbid in a private offering on an 03 program. The price was 90,000. 2. Through research since the Lelands offering, I have become convinced that this is the ONLY documented Game 1 03 WS program. My feelings towards value greatly changed. Congratulations to Doug Allen for putting together a fantastic Live auction. The prices were strong, which should make all collectors breathe a little easier.

Last edited by nyyanksghr; 08-02-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: crrection
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

John, so you purchased two very expensive restored items in one auction? You must have a lot of faith! Did you get a chance to see the 'before' pictures of the Wagner?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

why not just sell it as is??
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
why not just sell it as is??
Exactly. I could see structure restoration if the program was falling apart but this thing was restored for making money and too much was done for my liking. But to each their own. Enjoy your program John and hopefully the profits made on this sale can help this Auction house pay consignors.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

I honestly just don't understand why it is worth more -- not to mention much more -- in a restored state.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 PM

"John, so you purchased two very expensive restored items in one auction? You must have a lot of faith! Did you get a chance to see the 'before' pictures of the Wagner"

Yep. I have seen the before photos...amazing, amazing job on the restoration. With PSA 1's bringing 350-500+, I was pleased to get this restored example. The general public who hasn't had the opportunity to see a real Wagner doesnt care that its restored, they just are thrilled to see a Wagner. I had to turn down too many requests from local groups to display the PSA 5 b/c of the risk involved. As stated, this one is more fun and I'll be able to accomodate the numerous ballparks, kids groups, etc. who wanted to display it for a day or evening. We had the other Wagner on display one night for our local Police Athletic League. Shoulda seen the smiles on those kids faces!

Last edited by nyyanksghr; 08-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Next up: Plank

There's a Plank floating around with no borders. Slap some borders on it and proceed with an auction. These items are out of my league and anyone can spend their own money how they see fit. I'm not faulting anyone for spending their $$$ on whatever they choose. In my opinion, a tiny bit of restoration leads to a moderate bit of restoration leads to major restoration leads to Channing a card in your basement. Might be a drastic summary but why return a card with "evidence of trimming" and then slab one with borders attached? Just slab it PSA "Restored" and the hobby can slowly progress to a giant gray area where everything is half original. O.K. I'm done. Sorry if I went overboard.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyanksghr View Post
As stated, this one is more fun and I'll be able to accomodate the numerous ballparks, kids groups, etc. who wanted to display it for a day or evening. We had the other Wagner on display one night for our local Police Athletic League. Shoulda seen the smiles on those kids faces!
That's really awesome. Great use of an amazing piece. I'm sure kids and adults alike are thrilled to see/hold one.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothrk View Post
There's a Plank floating around with no borders. Slap some borders on it and proceed with an auction. These items are out of my league and anyone can spend their own money how they see fit. I'm not faulting anyone for spending their $$$ on whatever they choose. In my opinion, a tiny bit of restoration leads to a moderate bit of restoration leads to major restoration leads to Channing a card in your basement. Might be a drastic summary but why return a card with "evidence of trimming" and then slab one with borders attached? Just slab it PSA "Restored" and the hobby can slowly progress to a giant gray area where everything is half original. O.K. I'm done. Sorry if I went overboard.
I totally agree.

T206 "No Borders" Plank: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270385921331
Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I totally agree.

T206 "No Borders" Plank: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270385921331
Man that's painful to look at.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Mike DeNero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyanksghr View Post
With PSA 1's bringing 350-500+, I was pleased to get this restored example. The general public who hasn't had the opportunity to see a real Wagner doesnt care that its restored, they just are thrilled to see a Wagner. I had to turn down too many requests from local groups to display the PSA 5 b/c of the risk involved. As stated, this one is more fun and I'll be able to accomodate the numerous ballparks, kids groups, etc. who wanted to display it for a day or evening. We had the other Wagner on display one night for our local Police Athletic League. Shoulda seen the smiles on those kids faces!
This might be my favorite post that I have ever read on this board. John, congrats on winning both auctions! The program: AWESOME! The Wagner: Ditto. If I were still a collector (as a dealer, I can no longer consider myself a collector), given the choice, I would much rather own this restored example than a graded example lower than a 3. As I have tried to state many times, for me, this is a visual hobby; thus, purchasing a restored example of such a rarity makes perfect sense to me. Also, I think it's great that you intend to share this piece with the world, a truly noble pursuit which can only benefit our hobby (and, therefore, each of us) in the long run. Once again, congrats!

One final thought on restoration: might it be better to have restored cards authenticated, encapsulated, and labelled accordingly by PSA, SGC, etc., than to have them floating around raw??
Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I honestly just don't understand why it is worth more -- not to mention much more -- in a restored state.
Neither do I.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Greg T.

Congrats on the program, great piece!!! Of course, I could be biased. These are as close as I'll come by for stuff brought to the park on that day:

Photobucket

Tessie Song Card 1st WS

Last edited by HiNeighbor; 08-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Joe P.

Default Hello Greg T.

Although I'm an old Yank fan, I love that 1903 program.

I also agree with you, as for baseball history, your Boston Rooters button, and M. T. McGreevy's Rooters Souvenir card, are in the same ballpark.

Nuf Ced!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyanksghr
As stated, this one is more fun and I'll be able to accomodate the numerous ballparks, kids groups, etc. who wanted to display it for a day or evening. We had the other Wagner on display one night for our local Police Athletic League. Shoulda seen the smiles on those kids faces!
Very, very cool.