NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Carl Lamendola

Default 1924 Tobbaco Products Corporation of Canada Canadian Sports Champions C140 Checklist?

Does anyone have a checklist of the 1924 C140 set? If you own a World Tobacco index its probably in there. Thanks.

So, far I have been able to identify a Football Player, Tennis Player, and Boxer? There probably are baseball players given its legacy.See back of card. I found this on their web site.

The history of Wright & Ditson is woven into the early fabric of American sports, from the first Official Ball of the U.S. Davis Cup to the publication of Wright & Ditson's Guide to American Golf (as approved by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in 1899).
Founded in 1871 by Baseball Hall of Famer George Wright and Boston businessman Henry Ditson, the company began as a purveyor of tennis, golf and baseball equipment. The company was known for its precision craftsmanship – from tennis rackets to golf clubs – and by the turn of the century, baseball equipment.
By the early 1900s, Wright & Ditson stood alone as the singular purveyor of sports equipment and apparel in the U.S.; and the brand of choice, for court or course, to the hobbyist and professional alike.
Today, we proudly carry on our rich tradition of skill and quality as we employ modern techniques and styling to revive the fashions of a bygone era in American sport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (39.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (42.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Carl, the C140 set has been a side project of mine for some time as the cards are very tough to find and I pick them up whenever I have the chance. They were produced at about the same time as the more common V122 Willard's Sports Champions and the V31 Dominion Chocolate sets... it must have been a popular theme in Canada at the time.

Anyways, the C140 set is very hard to find and many of the same subjects in those aforementioned sets.

I currently own the following cards (which are about 5-10 years worth of accumulating)

Subject/Sport/Equipemnt (all Wright & Ditson) ad on back...

Cyril Coaffee (sprinter) -W&D Tennis Racquet ad
Laurie Cohen (track/field) -W&D Golf Ball
Philip Granville (10,000 meter walker) -W&D Baseman's Mitt
T. P. McKay (distance runner) -W&D Catcher's Mitt
Gladys Robinson (speed skating) -W&D Cather's Mask
R. Smyth (mile walker) -W&D Soccer Football
T. R. Walker (swimmer) -W&D Catcher's Body Protector
George Young (swimmer) -W&D Fielders Glove

According to the WTI this is a set of 45 athletes. They are listed on page 259 of the WTI World Index Part II (Cartophilic Reference Book No. 26) but are not listed along with their respective sports.

I know "Pep" Leadley was a CFL guy (or the equivalent of the CFL as it existed then), most of the subjects are familiar names to the V122, V31-1 and V31-2 sets and I see no baseball subjects among the ones listed.

Knowing you are a football guy... I see no other cards in the C140 set of CFL (Rugby) players that were in the corresponding V31 or V122 sets. BTW do you know if the Alex Ponton (Canadian Football) card in V31 is the same person as "Ponton" (Crack Sprinter) in the V122 set?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562