NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
David Bowden

Default Which way do I go on my N28's?

Hi all,

As I am finishing up my set of N28's, I am at a crossroad. Do I get all of my cards put into PSA or SGC holders or leave it how it is? Currently, approximately 35% are SGC, 35% are PSA, 26% are raw and I still have two cards to get which makes up the other 4%. The set is averaging about 4.5. I wont be holding on to the set forever, especially since my family size went from 4 to 9 in the past couple of years, so resale value is a factor. Really need to decide so I can get the raw cards graded, including (I hope) a 6ish Cap Anson. Below are links to the graded cards and some of the raw. Any suggestions would be appreciated, going crazy trying to decide.

David B

link to PSA cards http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/p...t.aspx?s=75602
link to SGC cards http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...6&userset=5125

Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Jeremy W.

Default I've thought about this also.

I'm working on the baseball subset of ten (about 1/2 done). I'm thinking about keeping mine raw & displaying them in a single sheet. I realize your situation is different, but if you were to sell them at a later date, it's possible the auction house would have them graded for you at no cost to you. I guess, I would leave them as they are until to you decide to move them.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Keith O'Leary

David, I've always considered the N28 set to be the 19th century answer to the T206 set and a "can't lose" for long term value. Fairly regularly found as 19th century cards go, Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley, Sullivan, Dempsey, Anson.....lithography at its best and all the luminaries of the time. I'd get them all in the same holders before I sold them (or now)....if I was keeping them long term SGC, if I was selling them PSA. Which 2 do you need?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:35 PM
David Bowden

Need Ward and Keefe but also need to upgrade my beater Caruthers before I consider it complete. All the recent threads about crossing over cards has me worried. I have never crossed any over or even sent a card to get graded.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Keith O'Leary

David, you can specify a minimum grade you'll accept from SGC when crossing cards over. If you have a PSA 5 Oakley, specify you want nothing lower than aN SGC 60 or they should leave it in the PSA holder and return it. Here is the verbage from their website.

Crossover Based on Tier Price Cards from other grading services are reviewed for SGC certification. You must specify the minimum grade you will accept for crossover.

You have a very nice set David.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default N28

Put em in the tobacco card top loads. Buy a leather bound album (Vario??) with museum quality 4-pocket pages with the black background (Vario) and insert them in it.......thats how my N28 set is stored......all raw......

Last edited by wolfdogg; 06-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Value-wise, I don't think SGC or PSA makes a difference on this set, unless it is very high grade. In that case, there is PSA registry competition. For mid and low grade, it is about the same. Personally, I think they look better in SGC holders, but the raw suggestion is good too.
JimB
Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Ron Rice

Default Crossovers

The only way to get the whole set into one type of holder is to live with whatever grade you get from PSA or SGC. If you specify equal grade minimums for the crossover, then a bunch won't cross and you'll still have a mixed set. At these nice mid-grades, I would keep it as a mixed set. Enjoy them, save your money, and let the collector who buys them deal with the crossovers to the grading company of their choice.

Great set!!

Ron
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
David Bowden

Default Update

Decided the obvious choice was to have a set of both. Just finished my SGC set of 50 and have provided a link below if you would like to take a look at the cards. I really like how SGC has the card gallery on thier registry, its sad more people have not taken advantage of it. The complete set is #2 on the registry and the same cards also make up the #2 baseball subset and the #2 boxing subset. By next week I will have some cards back from PSA that will finish my non baseball N28 set plus a Mulvey and Ward. I will post a link to the PSA cards after I get the final few back. Yes, I realize I have a N28 problem.

David
SGC CARD REGISTRY WITH IMAGES LINK
http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...6&userset=5125

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM

David

Good job

Frank
Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Jimmy M

Fantastic scan. I'll be there someday, hopefully.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Wow, a great looking set and that picture is cool with them all together, especially in those handsome SGC holders. I'm working on the baseball subset but I won't have any cards like your SGC 84 Anson, nice!

I've often wondered why this set has survived in such great condition compared to other issues of the era.