NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default e94 colors - Part II

Posted By: Joe D.

(the e94 colors thread in the Archive Center is great, but I have some follow-up questions)

Is there a 'master set list' for the e94s with regard to player/color combinations?

I believe in the archive thread, there was mention of certain player/color combinations being unknown.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

THis is probably really a question for TBob, but in principle all 30 poses should be available in all six colors. Maybe it is time to do a survey.
JimB

Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

It might be worth doing a spreadsheet like the T206 folks are doing with backs.
JimB

Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Hi guys! As I zero in on completing this master set I have found that all colors are possible for all cards (caveat below). It does seem like a few of the cards appear for sale so rarely in certain colors (if at all) that it appears they don't exist, but I am confident all do. Each time I get all 6 color variations of a card, I put them "away" and I have many players that I have 5 of 6 and have just been outbid on the 6th. My quest is to complete the master set but I do not want to pay "stupid money" (as Quan and Pete say) and sometimes that's all that is available. Right now the Wagner card seems to be giving me the most trouble as I have gold, green, olive and violet but the red and blue appear so rarely.

Caveat- the orange variations are still a perplexing problem. SGC, PSA and GAI have all recognized that these cards are original and authentic but as of yet, only one orange card of each player has appeared and there are a few orange cards of certain players which are not known to exist. leon bought the most recent orange variation and it was evident by the selling price that these cards are taking off. Originally the "orangies" were thought to be a) a freak which occurred when a red e94 was bleached or altered to create the distinct orange color or b) some type of reproduction but all the cards have been graded and slabbed as authentic. If you have ever examined the orangies you will note that the color is not like the orangish T206 background cards found on red portraits like Chance and Tinker but are a distinct and consistent orange. I guess we'll never know how these were created, perhaps someone printing them confused them with the e98 (anonymous) set or maybe the printer ran out of red that day, or who knows? It is interesting that all the oranges- Cobb, Devore, Jennings, Speaker, McGraw, etc. that I had ever seen came from Brian Daniels on the west coast and were all in great shape, excellent to near mint, but suddenly two pop up in the Lionel Carter collection in off-grade shape, a pair of 20s. If you figure that Lionel quit collecting E94s 30 years ago and lived in Illinois, the speculation grows. Again it is truly amazing that only one of each player exists. Perhaps there are more out there, but if there are, it is interesting that before BcD's group which he sold about 5 years ago, they never surfaced...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Bob,

I think you have to give yourself a break with the orange backgrounds!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

True. I am pretty sure I won't see another for sale for quite some time....

Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

My thoughts on the orange e94s is that they were all a part of the same 30-card sheet originally which for some reason didn't get a red color pass. I would compare these to the t210s that you see out there with the bright orange borders. Evidence that supports that they all are likely part of the same sheet includes the fact that the majority of oranges that have turned up are in high grade with the exception of one or two. I would have loved to have had that e94 Crawford from the Mastro auction but I think Leon wanted it a tad bit more than I.

I do still have this e94 greyback or "silverback" below. Like the oranges, this was probably part of an entire sheet which somehow missed a blue color pass or something like that. You'll notice that the Doolan did receive a color pass for his jersey as well as the normal flesh color for the face so this wouldn't be an isolated proof or printers scrap example. For some reason though, only one silverback has turned up whereas we've located 15-16 of the oranges at least. To the extent of my knowledge, I am not aware of instances were cards were printed individually as opposed to being produced in sheets so you'd have to think that others survived and are out there somewhere. If anyone else has a scan of one, I'd love to see it!