NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 AM
Eric
Eric

One more positive from me-
I got my private pilot license in September and am really enjoying the friendly skies. Have landed at over 20 different airports in Iowa so far. Flying a Cessna 172 and shortly will be working towards my Cirrus endorsement.
Bottom line is this- Cycling+Aviation+Cardboard= too many hobbies but I love all three. What’s a guy to do?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
One more positive from me-
I got my private pilot license in September and am really enjoying the friendly skies. Have landed at over 20 different airports in Iowa so far. Flying a Cessna 172 and shortly will be working towards my Cirrus endorsement.
Bottom line is this- Cycling+Aviation+Cardboard= too many hobbies but I love all three. What’s a guy to do?
WOW, flying a plane as a hobby, that is super cool.

We picked up a new hobby we have not been able to try yet because of the weather. Not sure if we will like it so I bought a older used travel trailer and pickup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper.jpg (58.0 KB, 338 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Matt

My positive note is that I'm new to vintage cards and I appreciate the wealth of T206 information on Net54 and various other websites that you all have provided!

Primarily a Kirby Puckett collector (2,000+), I randomly started reading up on T206 cards at the start of 2019 and I find it all very fascinating. I'm up to a grand total of twelve T206's now with the addition of this Milan Polar Bear that arrived from Luke yesterday via the B/S/T board.

Eric, I have no intentions of ever flying a plane myself, and I don't ride my bike on gravel, but I did ride from my house in Coralville, to and from a Cedar Rapids Kernels game last week. Iowa, biking and baseball!

Last edited by MatthewN; 05-21-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Mike Mattsey

Another spring, my 8th so far, of managing my son's baseball team. We don't have the gaudy record we did last season, but the boys are having a blast.

Just got this card from Topps. Great mail day!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
Another spring, my 8th so far, of managing my son's baseball team. We don't have the gaudy record we did last season, but the boys are having a blast.

Just got this card from Topps. Great mail day!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Man, Otis is a badass name for a kid. I love it.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Default State Title

Coach High School Soccer in the Fall, this year we went 20-0-2 and won the first state title in school history. Finished the year ranked number 39 in the nation. FYI, I am the only non-hispanic on the team at the far left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg state.jpg (77.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Jeremy W.

On anther positive note, my eighteen year old nephew is on his way to beating leukemia & like many have said earlier, health is really all we have. Never take it for granted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.jpg (74.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM
GaryPassamonte

My grandson is a high school junior, is currently hitting .526, and is second in NY state in RBIs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noah2018.JPG (44.1 KB, 311 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Could be a modern generation Ross Barnes.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 PM
GaryPassamonte

We can only hope. Jay.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewN View Post
My positive note is that I'm new to vintage cards and I appreciate the wealth of T206 information on Net54 and various other websites that you all have provided!

Primarily a Kirby Puckett collector (2,000+), I randomly started reading up on T206 cards at the start of 2019 and I find it all very fascinating. I'm up to a grand total of twelve T206's now with the addition of this Milan Polar Bear that arrived from Luke yesterday via the B/S/T board.

Eric, I have no intentions of ever flying a plane myself, and I don't ride my bike on gravel, but I did ride from my house in Coralville, to and from a Cedar Rapids Kernels game last week. Iowa, biking and baseball!

Biking and baseball yes please! Coralville! We aren’t that far apart. I am in Pella. 90 miles to the left... haha. I lived in Coralville for 4 years during grad school. Good memories.

Loving all the stories. Lots of baseball stuff. Imagine that. Love the camper picture(have camped a lot with my parents), the state champ soccer pic (coached soccer for about 10 years), so many good stories here. Puts a big smile on my face.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Jim

One month later and my wife is doing great after a hip replacement

Last edited by pitchernut; 05-21-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Just finished my sophomore year of college (seems like I am on the younger side here).
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36 View Post
Just finished my sophomore year of college (seems like I am on the younger side here).
Glad to have you in the hobby!!! I hope that your college years are awesome (as were mine for the most part) and that you knock it out of the park employment-wise later. I hope that you and others your age take over and carry on this hobby for all of us old geezers, lol.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Eric
Eric

Love the age range and diversity of collecting interests and styles on this board.
Always appreciate the stories of why people collect what they collect.

My family had a birthday party for my nephew last night (he is 5) and was talking bucket list items with my dad. I had no idea some of the things he wants to do. Next several years could be a lot of fun! So thankful to have most of my family in the same town! Family is priceless
Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Ben North

To add to the good thread.

Just got back from my diabetes checkup. I have lost another 11 pounds and got my A1C down to a 6.5 since my last visit.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Had a good couple of days with the kids. The oldest just returned home from his sophomore year at Va Tech on Thursday and will start his summer internship in June.

The middle son graduates HS in a couple of weeks (will start VT in the fall) and his lacrosse team just finished an undefeated season, winning the league championship on Friday night. He's #20 in the middle.

And my daughter just won a couple of blue ribbons in the local horse show on Saturday morning.

Feeling very blessed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lax champions sm.jpg (81.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Hope and ribbons sm.jpg (80.3 KB, 230 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Marcos

This is 4 month old Javier Marcos — a future Detroit Tiger shortstop. He is grandchild number three — blessings upon blessings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98864A64-D464-41E3-975E-0A76874B0107.jpg (11.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

He is adorable—congratulations!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:29 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My wife and I have been blessed by two grandchildren in the last year and a half. Here is the older of the two, Izzy, along with her mommy, my daughter-in-law. We also have a grandson, Jack, who is a few months younger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A49D8B2-3698-4B19-93C4-22F804FBFA0C.jpg (12.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosCards View Post
This is 4 month old Javier Marcos — a future Detroit Tiger shortstop. He is grandchild number three — blessings upon blessings.
Great picture Marcos, bats left throws right hopefully ! As for me, oldest grand daughter 6, scored her 1`st goal in our local street hockey league. Her BEAMING smile was priceless as was her retelling of the story to grandma later that night ! GO BRUINS !!!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Greg Montieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Stage 4 cancer survivor and I get to wake up everyday. Remission for about 3 and half years. Loving life, the wife, dog, and baseball cards. Listening to The Monkees on Youtube and playing on Net54 right now.
That's awesome!!! Back in 1988, I underwent an autologous bone marrow transplant for non-hodgkins lymphoma. At that point it was stage 4 and I was given 1/2 of 1% chance of surviving. I was in a coma for 3 months and was given my last rites 3 times. I've been cancer free for 31 years (just celebrated my 45th birthday) and am thankful every minute of every day for my wife and kids.

Greg M.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm13 View Post
That's awesome!!! Back in 1988, I underwent an autologous bone marrow transplant for non-hodgkins lymphoma. At that point it was stage 4 and I was given 1/2 of 1% chance of surviving. I was in a coma for 3 months and was given my last rites 3 times. I've been cancer free for 31 years (just celebrated my 45th birthday) and am thankful every minute of every day for my wife and kids.

Greg M.
Wow Greg. Thanks for sharing. That really puts things in perspective. What a journey for you!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM

We had something massive happen to us about a week ago. We welcomed baby #2 into our world ... a mere 16 1/2 years after our first!

The delivery was extremely worrisome (we are no spring chickens here at 38 and 39). We were one traffic jam away from daddy delivering Beckett in the car! I was quite nervous about the whole situation, but God is good and we are all lovestruck

Allow me to introduce you all to Beckett Clark Theophilus Jones!
Clark was my dad's middle name who passed away a little over 7 months ago - the last time we saw him as a family, we were able to tell him and my mom we were pregnant. They were the first ones to find out! We have had a number of crying episodes because he wasn't able to meet him this side of heaven. I'm so happy/thankful Atticus knew my dad well so he can tell Beckett how amazing of a "papa bear" he was.

Theophilus is the name Luke from the Bible addressed the Gospel of Luke and Acts to. It means friend/lover of God.

So, without further adieu, here are some pics!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
We had something massive happen to us about a week ago. We welcomed baby #2 into our world ... a mere 16 1/2 years after our first!

The delivery was extremely worrisome (we are no spring chickens here at 38 and 39). We were one traffic jam away from daddy delivering Beckett in the car! I was quite nervous about the whole situation, but God is good and we are all lovestruck

Allow me to introduce you all to Beckett Clark Theophilus Jones!
Clark was my dad's middle name who passed away a little over 7 months ago - the last time we saw him as a family, we were able to tell him and my mom we were pregnant. They were the first ones to find out! We have had a number of crying episodes because he wasn't able to meet him this side of heaven. I'm so happy/thankful Atticus knew my dad well so he can tell Beckett how amazing of a "papa bear" he was.

Theophilus is the name Luke from the Bible addressed the Gospel of Luke and Acts to. It means friend/lover of God.

So, without further adieu, here are some pics!

That is awesome Tanner, congratulations!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Eric
Eric

Tanner
Thanks for sharing. What a great name. Love the name Theophilus and what it stands for. A major congratulations to you and your family!
Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Thank you guys!
Old 05-24-2019, 05:25 PM
Ben

I would say that the most positive thing that has helped me with my collection is a guy named Orlando Rodriguez. I found him on Instagram a few years ago and he helped me refocus my collection. I used to go to the card shop once a week and spend maybe $50, but after talking with him he helped me refocus and get cards I thought I’d never own. I stopped going to the card shop. Sold my whole collection and pretty much started over. He taught me to be patient, which is hard to do most of the time. I’m sad that Orly has left the hobby, but he’s helped me collect cards I thought I’d never own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Eric
Eric

Ben- I guess those are ok if you like that sort of thing.
Seriously, though, awesome stuff! Love the T3 Cobb
Old 06-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Eric
Eric

Ok, going to resurrect this thread as all the PWCC BS is overwhelming.
I am in Scottsdale for CE and went walking through an incredible line of exotic car dealerships and it was quite fun to see McLarens Porsche’s, Aston martins, Ferrari’s, Rolls Royce, Bugatti, etc.
it is true that it is a dry heat here. 100 degrees with a breeze and not really that bad.
Holy Crap people spend some coin on cars!
Old 06-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Where at on Lake Michigan? I spent some time in Holland and have done a triathlon in Racine that had the swim portion in Lake Michigan.

These stories are all great. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Warren Dunes, at the bottom of the state. I go to Holland/Zeeland quite a bit.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
Warren Dunes, at the bottom of the state. I go to Holland/Zeeland quite a bit.
The dunes are great!