NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2022, 11:22 AM

Default OT: How often do you check your consignments?

Ok, so I have my first consignment with an AH. The auction is a 3-week auction. As a newbie, I find myself wanting to check the auction a few times a day. I know, in all liklihood, that most of the bidding will take place nearer the close of the auction.

So my question to you consigment-pro's is: how often do you check items you have up for auction? Am I the only one who checks in to the auction site frequently? Or is that just "normal?"
Old 07-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Ok, so I have my first consignment with an AH. The auction is a 3-week auction. As a newbie, I find myself wanting to check the auction a few times a day. I know, in all liklihood, that most of the bidding will take place nearer the close of the auction.

So my question to you consigment-pro's is: how often do you check items you have up for auction? Am I the only one who checks in to the auction site frequently? Or is that just "normal?"
Check on it like it owes me money so no you are not alone.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Remember asking on the board in the past few years whether AHs could set something up where a consignor gets a text every time he gets a new bid. I think the response was that it wouldn't be impossible to do, but I can't think of an AH that provides that service. Would be awesome and a great time saver.

Based on my recent experience I'd say 75% or more of your bids are going to come in the first 48 hours and the last 48 hours. Unless it's an incredibly hot auction.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-27-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:13 PM
Val Kehl

Reading Steve's post got me thinking. I suggest that auction houses send each consignor an email either daily or frequently showing the current bids for all of his/her consignments. Several auction houses currently send daily or frequent emails to each bidder, showing the current bids for all the items bid on and items being watched. For these auction houses, it would seem relatively easy to create something similar for consignors.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Would he entirely automated. Really couldn’t be difficult to do n
Old 07-29-2022, 06:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Reading Steve's post got me thinking. I suggest that auction houses send each consignor an email either daily or frequently showing the current bids for all of his/her consignments. Several auction houses currently send daily or frequent emails to each bidder, showing the current bids for all the items bid on and items being watched. For these auction houses, it would seem relatively easy to create something similar for consignors.
Yes more emails for the AHs is what we need.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Have not consigned in a while but when I did I checked daily and then on the final day it seemed every hour and in extended time I often just kept hitting refresh.

Like others says ideally it would be automatically sent to you just like when you are the bidders you get update emails, outbid emails and outbid text notifications

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-29-2022, 06:59 AM
pete ullman

depends...typically I'll check often when the auction starts...then realizing most auctions have weeks to go before they conclude...I'll wait til towards the end.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:53 AM

I have active consignments currently and I check daily.

Andy
Old 07-29-2022, 12:19 PM

Thanks for making me feel "normal." Inherently, I know most bids will come in towards the end of the auction, but I can't resist checking it daily even though seeing "no" additional bids is disheartening. lol
Old 07-29-2022, 12:24 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Consignments

Auction Houses, I would think, will always make us log in to their sites to check consignments because when we’re logged in there’s a chance we’ll place a bid or two…

I’m a frequent consignor and I usually check the action daily
Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes more emails for the AHs is what we need.
Ben, I assumed that auction houses that implement this should give its consignors the option of not receiving these email updates re their consignments.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM
Chase

I check at the start to make sure everything is listed and described accurately and then not until it is over.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

well the shill billers are getting emails to their addresses whether they high bid or still not the high bid..problem solved
Old 08-02-2022, 02:44 PM

Well, after a flurry of bids when the auction opened, nothing for a week. Was starting to get nervous. But then today, a week later, another flurry of bids. Feeling better. Two more weeks to go. I don't know how those of you that do auctions frequently don't have a drinking problem.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:54 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
But it would be inaccurate pretty quickly. Isn't it easier to just log into your account and click "consignments" and view in real time?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-03-2022, 03:32 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But it would be inaccurate pretty quickly. Isn't it easier to just log into your account and click "consignments" and view in real time?
I would expect the email from an auction house to contain a link to enable the consignor to check the bids on his consignments in real time, if the consignor so desires.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I would expect the email from an auction house to contain a link to enable the consignor to check the bids on his consignments in real time, if the consignor so desires.
I assume most auctions already have that link for their consignors. I instruct most, if not all, of my consignors on how to check their consignments in real time. All they have to do is log in and click their account and choose consignments and voila they are looking at only their items, only in the current auction, in real time. I have no problem with the idea I guess. It just seems like an email is superfluous.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-24-2022, 12:13 PM

So, another question to the experienced consignors: Does the AH notify consignors that their item(s) have sold, or do they just assume consignors have followed their items? And, is speed of payment primarily a function of how fast the winning bidder pays?

Sorry if these are basic questions. And thanks.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:27 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Often.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:30 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Brb

Need to check again.

That often

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-24-2022, 01:30 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Consignment Checks usually come between 3 weeks to 8 weeks after the auction ends.

REA is the quickest
Heritage is the slowest (but if you know that going in and have patience - which I don't - then you are fine there)

LOTG - Goldin - Lelands - MEARS - Huggins & Scott - SCP - all usually 4-6 weeks after their auction ends.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-24-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:50 PM

REA is quick. I should have waited a day before asking my question.

Check received today - 11 days from close of auction. I'm no longer an AH virgin!

And I did appreciate all the responses to make me feel like I wasn't the only one with OCAWS. (obsessive compulsive auction watching syndrome.)