NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM
luciobar1980 luciobar1980 is offline
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
60/40 top to bottom, forget it . Nice card, a lot of money.
Ha! I'd say more like 55/45

Hey, if you have a ton of money and are a big Musial fan, you might be wiling to pay as much as it takes.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
M@tt.©1ruLn1©K
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i don't care how much and how you earned your hard earned money ...spending 28K on a card like that is just plain stupid! And I'll say it again and again and again!
Stupid based on what criteria? Maybe the guy loved the card. Or if he's a flipper, maybe he makes a successful sale. In which case to him it wasn't stupid at all.

In terms of personal collecting preference and choices, we are probably in perfect agreement on the Musial 10 in question, yet why the need to insult a fellow collector?

Please post up some of your card purchases so they can be evaluated in kind.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Stupid based on what criteria? Maybe the guy loved the card. Or if he's a flipper, maybe he makes a successful sale. In which case to him it wasn't stupid at all.

In terms of personal collecting preference and choices, we are probably in perfect agreement on the Musial 10 in question, yet why the need to insult a fellow collector?

Please post up some of your card purchases so they can be evaluated in kind.
you're right...no point is arguing or demeaning others for how they choose to spend their money. not my kind of card...nor the way I choose to collect...to each their own...live and let live. i will post a recent purchase for you guys soon to rip to threads!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,739
Default

Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img006 2.jpg (77.1 KB, 554 views)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
I will start, Pete you paid too much and what is it? It doesnt sparkle and I can't find that guy on any current roster, does he even still play?
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 AM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,207
Default

Pete we should start a Roast me thread. People can Post picks of a single card and we can tell them how they should have better spent their money and time. Actually keep an eye out because I am going to get it going

BTW the centering on that Sh!tty Wags card is about as off as your personality!
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-12-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 AM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
M@tt.©1ruLn1©K
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
Pete,

Need to know what you paid to really tear that Wags to shreds— though someone clearly already got to it pretty good.

I have to run to work, but I will try and write up some quality withering invective for you by end of day

Just joshing of course. My kind of card if gotten at an easy price.

* Though in the spirit of the usual online discourse, those 4 somewhat equally rounded corners are a telltale sign of an artificially aged reprint!

MC

Last edited by MattyC; 04-12-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,739
Default

i paid a tad bit over 1/28th the cost of the musial.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Pete we should start a Roast me thread. People can Post picks of a single card and we can tell them how they should have better spent their money and time. Actually keep an eye out because I am going to get it going

BTW the centering on that Sh!tty Wags card is about as off as your personality!
haha...I think!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Paul S Paul S is offline
P. Sp.ec.tor
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Landlocked by High Toll Fees
Posts: 2,086
Default Sold this about two years back...

to a Net54 peasant Originally bought for either a dime or a quarter - don't remember exactly since it was the 1960s

Rip it to shreds:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52B Musial F.jpg (44.1 KB, 536 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 04-12-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM
luciobar1980 luciobar1980 is offline
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
to a Net54 peasant Originally bought for either a dime or a quarter - don't remember exactly since it was the 1960s

Rip it to shreds:
Nice.. I really do think this one of the more beautiful cards out there, in general.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
bbcard1 bbcard1 is offline
T0dd M@rcum
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have long suspected there are politics involved in 10s, at least at the very expensive level.
This. It is a rigged game.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-12-2018, 12:16 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 1,372
Default

I'm just glad to finally see Musial get some respect. Still not Mantle money, but not bad!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Here is a recent addition to my armpit collection. Tear me apart...I can take it!

It's an e90-1 btw.
Nice card.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:30 PM
orly57's Avatar
orly57 orly57 is offline
Orlando Rodriguez
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm just glad to finally see Musial get some respect. Still not Mantle money, but not bad!
I'm not sure Musial is getting respect here; a PSA FLIP is getting the respect here. That's what I think Pete was referring to when he said it was stupid. I agree that we should not attack other collectors for buying whatever they want, but (Pete correct me if I'm wrong here) I think he was referring to the practice of paying insane amounts for a flip. If you shoved Peter's psa 7 in that 10 holder, the guy still would have bought it for 28k. Thats the Problem. Pete isn't mocking fellow CARD collectors; he's addressing the logic of collecting FLIPS.

I think there is a fine line between insulting fellow collectors and having an educated discussion on a baseball card forum about how wise it is to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a card because of the holder it is in (see the black swamp find thread). Use of the word "stupid" may cross that line, but that's Pete's opinion. Part of the purpose of our forum is to share opinions. I would bet the buyer has a Musial registry and needed the 10. Good for him. He's got the money for it and he needs it to improve his registry. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that we know that card could be broken out, resubmitted, and get a 9. Then we must ask "is the CARD worth 28k?" At the end of the day, if high grade Musials is what that collector collects, then God bless him. He chose a hell of a player. But do not be mistaken. A PSA 10 holder got the respect here, not the Hall of Famer the card depicts.

Last edited by orly57; 04-12-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:39 PM
aconte aconte is offline
Tony Conte
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 281
Default

Well the SGC 82 has to be worth a couple bucks more now....lol....

Nice card btw!

__________________
Successful Transactions with Neal, RGold, Peter_Spaeth, jcc6252, Brian_Dwyer, Jay_Wolt, Clydewally, bauce, Prince_Hal, ncinin, gonzo, PiratesWS1979, ZiggerZagger, Anthony + Al
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

One wonders what this card would have sold for as an SGC 98. Less than half is my guess.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-12-2018, 02:13 PM
aconte aconte is offline
Tony Conte
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One wonders what this card would have sold for as an SGC 98. Less than half is my guess.
I agree. I'd guess 5-7k
__________________
Successful Transactions with Neal, RGold, Peter_Spaeth, jcc6252, Brian_Dwyer, Jay_Wolt, Clydewally, bauce, Prince_Hal, ncinin, gonzo, PiratesWS1979, ZiggerZagger, Anthony + Al
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-12-2018, 02:51 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One wonders what this card would have sold for as an SGC 98. Less than half is my guess.
Probably nothing because I think SGC would have not graded it with more than an A!
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naÔve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

I'm not a flipper, set builder, registry collector, or a Flip Chaser.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.


This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:16 PM
luciobar1980 luciobar1980 is offline
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 423
Default

Congrats! It's a beautiful card in any condition...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:18 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naÔve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

I'm not a flipper, set builder, registry collector, or a Flip Chaser.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.


This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
First welcome to the board. Secondly we should run some Yotes. I am selfish on the Bucks though. I am guessing you are in the Dakotas/Wisconsin/ or MN based on your name?

It is your money to spend however. It is also your collection. As stated before I do not feel that the card you paid for is the card you got in that holder. To each their own though!
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:02 PM
luciobar1980 luciobar1980 is offline
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
As stated before I do not feel that the card you paid for is the card you got in that holder. To each their own though!
Can you recap what you mean by this??
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:03 PM
orly57's Avatar
orly57 orly57 is offline
Orlando Rodriguez
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naÔve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

I'm not a flipper, set builder, registry collector, or a Flip Chaser.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.


This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
Congrats. I am glad you bought a card that you love. I think it is Stan The Man's most beautiful issue.

Last edited by orly57; 04-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:13 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Can you recap what you mean by this??
What? You need me to say that I think the card is altered and unworthy of a grade 10?

I guess I did that already in earlier post
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-12-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Paul S Paul S is offline
P. Sp.ec.tor
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Landlocked by High Toll Fees
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Nice.. I really do think this one of the more beautiful cards out there, in general.
Thanks! And totally agree, not only in general but otherwise specific to a fabulous postwar set full of great looking cards.

Last edited by Paul S; 04-12-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:45 PM
luciobar1980 luciobar1980 is offline
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
What? You need me to say that I think the card is altered and unworthy of a grade 10?

I guess I did that already in earlier post
So you, sitting there in front of a computer, looking at a two dimensional scan, can see all of that, and see it better than PSA?

That's not an insult, just reiterating the facts as you see them.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 04-12-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
For the record I was the winning bidder. I am not stupid nor naÔve. I graduated from college Cum Laude and own/run a multi-million $ company that sells into major retailers across the USA. I collected as a kid in the early 80's and my mom would take me to cards shows when Larry Fritsch had all the goodies. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy that knows how to outfox and trap coyotes and I enjoy matching wits and killing big Whitetail Bucks who have a superior sense of sight and smell.

I bought the card because I simply love the fact that it is a HOF Musial and a fantastic image of him and that it is an extraordinary 66 year old example that made it through all the pitfalls from antiquated manufacturing/distribution and dodged the bullets of kid handling, bike spokes, tape, thumb tacks, and the list goes on to become a PSA 10.

I'm not a flipper, set builder, registry collector, or a Flip Chaser.

My collection consists of mostly Rookies but also some special non-Rookies plus vintage unopened. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. And a few non-sports. I respect all cards from PSA 1 to PSA 10 and respect all collectors.


This is my very first and only Musial and have been patiently waiting for a special one for a number of years since I got back into collecting. I may not own another Musial.

I may or may not sell my valuable collection some day. Hopefully some of the extra special one's like the Musial will be passed down.

All in all I really like and appreciate the card not only because it is Musial but because of all its attributes and yes for sure because it is a PSA 10.

Do I wish I could have got it for less?? Heck yeah, but I'd be kicking myself today if I put a top bid in of $15K.
Congrats...and UFFDAH is right! As long as you're happy...that's all that matters. No doubt it's a gorgeous card...didn't mean to call you stupid...I like others here just think its ridiculous the prices some high grade examples command when the difference esthetically is not visible to the human eye...or most graders on any given day.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

I have no idea about this card, but quite a few big ticket 10s are 9s that were brought in at shows.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM
PiratesWS1979 PiratesWS1979 is offline
Lar.ry Buch.heim
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
So you, sitting there in front of a computer, looking at a two dimensional scan, can see all of that, and see it better than PSA?

That's not an insult, just reiterating the facts as you see them.
He's not saying he can see better from his computer and is better than any TPG. This is the sharpest '52 Musial out there and has one noticeable concern, at least to him and I. One of the attributes of the '52 Musial is a rough cut on one or both sides. This one has razor sharp sides with no paper pull to be seen. But that's just me, I'd question an OPC Gretzky 10 w/o a rough cut.

I really hope it is unaltered because this the best Musial and well worth the 28K, congrats.

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 04-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
So you, sitting there in front of a computer, looking at a two dimensional scan, can see all of that, and see it better than PSA?

That's not an insult, just reiterating the facts as you see them.
If it quacks like a duck... spare me the issue. I am not the only one to see it. I also can tell you from the scan that the factory cut is not on that card. I donít need to hold it to see the obvious that itís over graded. I donít give 2 sh!ts if he or anyone else feels ďinsultedĒ by my opinion. He is happy with his buy and thatís all that matters. Chalk me up as a ďhaterĒ because I canít afford that card or whatever. Itís not your fight or argument so let sleeping dogs lie.

If the owner wants anything from me he can PM me and we can chat via email or phone. I have no issues explaining anything I see and I am sure other members feel the same way. This board protects the hobby as much as it enjoys it. Thatís why itís like a family here and why so many issues are brought to light. We protect one another and if you think thatís jealousy, insults, slander, libel, or anything else then I must be....what every you say I am.
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Hxcmilkshake's Avatar
Hxcmilkshake Hxcmilkshake is offline
St@n Go.len
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I'm not sure Musial is getting respect here; a PSA FLIP is getting the respect here. That's what I think Pete was referring to when he said it was stupid. I agree that we should not attack other collectors for buying whatever they want, but (Pete correct me if I'm wrong here) I think he was referring to the practice of paying insane amounts for a flip. If you shoved Peter's psa 7 in that 10 holder, the guy still would have bought it for 28k. Thats the Problem. Pete isn't mocking fellow CARD collectors; he's addressing the logic of collecting FLIPS.

I think there is a fine line between insulting fellow collectors and having an educated discussion on a baseball card forum about how wise it is to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a card because of the holder it is in (see the black swamp find thread). Use of the word "stupid" may cross that line, but that's Pete's opinion. Part of the purpose of our forum is to share opinions. I would bet the buyer has a Musial registry and needed the 10. Good for him. He's got the money for it and he needs it to improve his registry. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is that we know that card could be broken out, resubmitted, and get a 9. Then we must ask "is the CARD worth 28k?" At the end of the day, if high grade Musials is what that collector collects, then God bless him. He chose a hell of a player. But do not be mistaken. A PSA 10 holder got the respect here, not the Hall of Famer the card depicts.
Hilarious. You are paying for the number, not the card. Thats why you can debate the merits of a card all you want, but in the end it's a 10 by some guy in psa. His buddy working in the cubical next to him may call it a 9. In the end you pay for it, or not. Thats what grading has done to the hobby. Among other very good things im not slamming grading altogether, but see it for what it is, you pay for the number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card.
smart man
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 PM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
M@tt.©1ruLn1©K
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
Way to go, man. You saw a card you liked, it happens to cost a bundle, and you're successful enough to bring it home. Rock on.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm looking for an opinion on what to pay for a card, I am likely to ask someone other than the seller.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 PM
cardinalcollector's Avatar
cardinalcollector cardinalcollector is offline
Randy Trierweiler
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Ozark, Missouri
Posts: 478
Default

Absolutely gorgeous Musial card.

From a Pure Cardinal Collector that appreciates the beauty.

Congrats UFFDAH
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 PM
MW1's Avatar
MW1 MW1 is online now
Mich.ael We.ntz
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
Ultimately it doesn't matter to me what T205 GB thinks of this card or any other card. I'm not saying that as an attack just that it doesn't matter to me and I stay the course on what works successfully for me.

My confidence lies in PSA and PWCC who have earned my and many other collectors trust. I review most of my PWCC card targets including the Musial with Brent before I pull the trigger with a bid and have the utmost trust in his opinion. My best bump of a PWCC purchase is a 58' Jim Brown from an 8 to an 8.5 so my confidence and trust is VERY HIGH.

Anyways it will be a great card and a mini Mona Lisa. I love that its Musial, I love the image, the color, clarity, centering, edges, corners etc. The back is icing on the cake. It will be an appreciated card and feel fortunate to be able to buy it.
Great card! Congratulations! Looks like a PSA 10 to me.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM
npa589's Avatar
npa589 npa589 is offline
N.ate A.dams
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,167
Default

Just wanted to chime in and state that the clichť counter for this thread is at 783. I believe Pete is in the lead with about 13 in one post.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:47 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Peter - sellers like Brent, Steve Hart and some others are straight shooters. They build successful businesses because they are trustworthy. No different than my company taking care of our customers/consumers because we stand behind our product, you have to for repeat long term business. Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes. Sometimes my itchy trigger does not want to listen to him but I almost always do.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

In your opinion. I would call you by your name, but you haven't given it.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-12-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Peter - sellers like Brent, Steve Hart and some others are straight shooters. They build successful businesses because they are trustworthy. No different than my company taking care of our customers/consumers because we stand behind our product, you have to for repeat long term business. Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes. Sometimes my itchy trigger does not want to listen to him but I almost always do.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

You seem to have repeated your post there?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Sorry bout the double post not sure how that happened!!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,791
Default

I thought maybe you were repeating for emphasis.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 PM
UFFDAH UFFDAH is offline
Chris La,dd
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Lol. I'm all thumbs on this cell phone.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 AM
Bored5000's Avatar
Bored5000 Bored5000 is online now
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fleetwood, Pa.
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFFDAH View Post
Brent does not hesitate to tell me to pass on one of his auction cards if he feels I should be patient and wait for a little stronger example knowing my goals and tastes.
Wait...PWCC tells people not to bid on cards he is trying to auction? I am sure the consigner would love to know that. That doesn't sound very ethical.

Obviously, the consignments that PWCC tells people not to bid on should be labeled as "PWCC low-end."

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-13-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:36 AM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wait...PWCC tells people not to bid on cards he is trying to auction? I am sure the consigner would love to know that. That doesn't sound very ethical.

Obviously, the consignments that PWCC tells people not to bid on should be labeled as "PWCC low-end."

Didn't someone mentioned he tells them "just throw in a bid, you won't win it"
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps
381/407


"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wait...PWCC tells people not to bid on cards he is trying to auction? I am sure the consigner would love to know that. That doesn't sound very ethical.

Obviously, the consignments that PWCC tells people not to bid on should be labeled as "PWCC low-end."
As an auctioneer if I have a regular customer who has specific needs/wants and he asks whether I think a particular auction lot will meet those needs I, of course, am going to be honest, even if the answer is "no that lot really won't make you happy." There's nothing unethical about the truth, and I don't feel that's in conflict to my fiduciary duty to my consignor.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:55 AM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,630
Default

I think a lot of people fail to realize that PWCC is just a platform, like Ebay is. These aren't Brent's cards. You do realize that? These are other people's cards. They can just as easily sell them on Ebay themselves just like Brent can. Instead they ship them to Brent because he gets higher prices than everyone else. Think of the novel "The Pied Piper".....sorta the same thing. PWCC gives great service, I get that. A lot of sellers give great service. The sellers/buyers who are cheats/cons get quickly weeded out on this board. I think every member under the sun on Net54 knows about battlefield and all their reincarnations.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


ebay GSB