NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM

Default San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Supplement

I few years back, I picked up a large San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Supplement dated March 28, 1909. It's titled, "THE CATCHER WAITING FOR A HIGH ONE." It has a postal cancel for Stanford University 1909. It has the artist name, HERSHFIELD, noted on the lower right corner of the supplement.

Just prior to buying the supplement, I picked up a beautiful 24" X 28.5" oak frame, and I decided it would be perfect for the supplement. I had it matted and framed with new glass. Yesterday, a friend snapped a few photos of the framed piece. It sits above my Waddall display case that my houses my PCL E-card collection. So here are the photos I promised of the completed piece a few years back.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catcher1.jpg (63.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg PCL Display.jpg (69.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Max Weder

Very cool display Patrick.

Magazines and papers had a number of great cover illustrations. Here's one of my favorites

Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Patrick - That's a beautiful piece, thanx for posting.
Doug
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Default nice piece, nice cards

Patrick, Now that's how to display a card collection...I'm not a card guy but that's the best display of cards I recall...that's realizing they're display potential!

But I am a poster guy and that supplement is interesting, not to mention it looks great...Based on the size you gave of the frame, I'm guessing it's about 20" tall...Is that printed on newspaper stock? Is there, or can you recall if there was any printing on the back?...Newspaper art supplments seem to have been a regular practice of newspapers from around 1900-1910..The ones I've seen are usually about 18" x 12"...so yours is extra large. The whole subject of newspaper art supplments would make a good study sometime. Below is one I have put out by the Chicago Tribune and is the typical format I've seen...inside the mat it's 17" x 10 1/2"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
I few years back, I picked up a large San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Supplement dated March 28, 1909. It's titled, "THE CATCHER WAITING FOR A HIGH ONE." It has a postal cancel for Stanford University 1909. It has the artist name, HERSHFIELD, noted on the lower right corner of the supplement.

Just prior to buying the supplement, I picked up a beautiful 24" X 28.5" oak frame, and I decided it would be perfect for the supplement. I had it matted and framed with new glass. Yesterday, a friend snapped a few photos of the framed piece. It sits above my Waddall display case that my houses my PCL E-card collection. So here are the photos I promised of the completed piece a few years back.

Patrick

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Newspaper art supplements seem to have been a regular practice of newspapers from around 1900-1910..The ones I've seen are usually about 18" x 12"...so yours is extra large. The whole subject of newspaper art supplments would make a good study sometime. Below is one I have put out by the Chicago Tribune and is the typical format I've seen...inside the mat it's 17" x 10 1/2"
Carlton -

When you talk about "art supplements" are you talking about blank backed separate issues only, or are you including newspaper pages?

I have a few posted below.

I can't find the A's supplement (now I have something to do today), but I think it's about a foot high, and blank backed.

The St Louis Globe-Democrat is 17.5" wide and 22.5" high.

The St Paul Sunday Pioneer is 16" wide and 22" high.

Both of the larger pieces are just pages from the paper, so they have printing on the reverse.

I'm curious what similar items anybody else has, apologies to Patrick if we're hi-jacking his post, but all good posts (like his) get the responses flowing.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1906-05-06 North American Athletics.jpg (77.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1915-07-18-Globe-Democrat-Color-Sup.jpg (78.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg St Paul Saints Roto 07-08.jpg (69.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Clint

Very Cool display all the way around Patrick. I've wanted to ask you for a while now what your tie to catchers is. Were you a catcher in high school?

Doug, I have a couple of the St Louis supplements too. I would rather have the one you have though. This is the only one I have photographed. Plank is one and I cant remember who the other guy is. I love the color graphics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 046.jpg (40.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Patrick, that is very cool...and I love that display case...I think the cards look better in screwdowns than they do in "slabs".

Doug and Clint, those St Louis Globe supplements are pretty cool...I've not seen them before...are they cataloged?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses.

Carlton,

The supplement is newspaper stock, and I believe it did have print on the other side if my memory is correct.

The St Louis Globe-Democrat Supplements look awesome. I regret not grabbing a Roger Bresnahan example that was on eBay years ago. It also was oversized.

Thanks ,

Patrick
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Default different

Doug....Yes I was refering to blank backed separate issues, as you call them..not newspaper pages...From all this I've surmised "newspaper supplments" and "newspaper art supplments" though related are different...

Now when I hear the term newspaper supplment I'll think of illustrated newspaper pages that were produced as special features...

No matter, Patrick's catcher illustration supplement looks great...especially whre he's got it above his display case.....and the vintage frame is perfect...nice work Patrick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Carlton -

When you talk about "art supplements" are you talking about blank backed separate issues only, or are you including newspaper pages?

I have a few posted below.

I can't find the A's supplement (now I have something to do today), but I think it's about a foot high, and blank backed.

The St Louis Globe-Democrat is 17.5" wide and 22.5" high.

The St Paul Sunday Pioneer is 16" wide and 22" high.

Both of the larger pieces are just pages from the paper, so they have printing on the reverse.

I'm curious what similar items anybody else has, apologies to Patrick if we're hi-jacking his post, but all good posts (like his) get the responses flowing.

Doug

Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Default The Visual Appeal

Hi Clint,

I wasn't a catcher.

My short answer would be that I have always been attracted to the visual appeal of not only catcher cards, but also of catcher memorabilia. I also prefer to display my collection, and I enjoy it every day.

Thanks,

Patrick