NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default Guys On PostWar Board - Don't Know - Maybe Someone Here Does?

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

I posted a thread about this 1953 Parkhurst BB card on the postwar thread & I drew a blank.

The only usable information, was that a William George Lathrop played for the Chicago White Sox in 1913 & 1914, so I hope that makes this on topic.

You can see the thread on the postwar board. Still trying to learn more about the specifics of 4 wins in 24 Hours.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Hi,
Here is the address for the owners of the Ripley name:

Ripley Entertainment
Att: Luke Stram/Cartoons
576 Kingspointe Parkway,
Suite 188
Orlando, FL 32819

Maybe they have source materials for the original cartoons.

P.S. Glad to hear the good news about your wife.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It is the same Lathrop that played for the White Sox...my guess is that he won 4 games in a town team tournament. He was likely the teams only pitcher. Not unusual for a small town team.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think it is a non-sports card. Try the non-sports forum. I think it is from a series of Ripley's Believe It or Not cards, and this one card just happens to be about a baseball feat.

I've failed to put my non-sports guide back on the shelf where it belongs, so until I unearth it in the piles of stuff in my mess of a room, I won't be able to look it up.

There are 100 cards in the set. Card #1 is of Louis Cyr, a Strong Man from Canada. Card #25 is about the largest gold nugget.

The non-sports guys can nail this for you, with Burdick number and all.

Frank.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Jerry-- this was probably not while on a professional team. I checked the Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball and it does not show any teams ever being based in Elroy Wisconsin. Paul

Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As Lathrop was born in nearby Hanover Wisconsin, it's possible it could have been high school games. I just checked and Hanover and Elroy are 95 miles apart.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Frank, I know this set - I'm collecting it.

What I'm trying to find out is the any and all details, about the feat pictued, that I can i.e. teams involved, dates this happened, scores of the games and so on - Just curiosity.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Ahhh....

Well it isn't a baseball card from a baseball card set.

I think the feat happened back in the 30s, and that you could find a Ripley's newspaper piece that talks about the feat in greater detail. Might have happened in the mid teens, but my guess is mid 30s. Why don't you try searching "Willie Lathrop" in a New York Times data base, or some other major paper?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

It probably happened shortly before or right after his major league career which would have been in the 1910s. If it happened in the 1930's Lathrop would have been in his 40s by then. If I had to guess I would say it was shortly after his major league career (which was short in itself) and he was a hired gun for Elroy's town team. He pitched in a weekend tournament and won all 4 games. I would bet that the Ripley's people took note because Lathrop was a former major leaguer otherwise I don't think this is that noteworthy because I bet it was not that uncommon for the era to see a town team pitcher pitch that many games in a weekend....of course 24 hour period might mean he pitched three games one day and then the next morning pitched another? Interesting subject and one I'd like to see the story for...it has to be out there. The best bet is to contact the Elroy chamber of commerce.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

It is the same Lathrop that played for the White Sox...my guess is that he won 4 games in a town team tournament. He was likely the teams only pitcher. Not unusual for a small town team.

Yup. I have won 4 games within 48 hrs myself in a tourney so the feat is not that
unique.

Oh I have also lost 3 in the same period, Id have lost 4 but it was 3 and you are done.

Steve

Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Steve - I didn't know you were a pitcher - congratulations on winning 4 games that quickly, It must have been a wonderfull feeling.

Thank You to everyone who contributed and helped satiate my curiosity.