NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Patrick N.

Default PLEASE don't EVER do this to someone at the card shop/cards show......(i.e. ZIP IT)

So I'm at one of my favorite LCS today picking out a few cards for personal collection but also resale purposes. We have a pretty good report over the years and while his prices are usually HIGH END retail he and I have come to an understanding that I don't pay those prices, so long as I buy a larger lot of cards. I typically pick up some off-grade stuff, random miscuts, etc. and so it is in his best interest and mine to come up with a price that works for both us....and for the most part it usually works out.

Anyway, today I had my usual pile of this stuff and as he is flipping through them considering my offer this LOUDMOUTH regular watching the transaction decides to have diarrhea of the mouth and run his mouth on and on about how TOUGH the '61 high numbers I have picked out are to get, especially compared to the '62s, etc. and a couple other pearls of wisdom. Anyway, by the end of the deal, my shop owner buddy needless to say seem slightly disappointed with my offer price, probably in part by HOW TOUGH THESE 61 HIGH NUMBERS were according to the jabber-jaw in the peanut gallery...

Am I right to be upset? I shot an ugly luck towards the blabber-mouth but also wanted to give a swift kick to the cajones.... Am I overreacting????
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Scott Russell

no you're not overreacting. I see this at shows and have even caught myself wanting to show off my knowledge and then realize it might screw up a transaction and managed to keep my big mouth shut.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Dave Foster

Pat - you are spot on. If it was me, I would have - not so politely - told him to just STFU or go outside. Just another basically rude MF who doesn't know the rules.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Probably had an empty wallet to go with his big mouth as well
Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM

Pat - Why didn't you say what Tom Cruise says, "Sometimes you gotta say WTF" and then kick him ?

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 09-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Bob Davies

Some people have to show how smart they are. Plus sticking his useless opinion into your business. So... STFU.

I've learned it's OK for someone to tell you something you already know, and to actually let them tell you. It makes them feel good, and what's wrong with that?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I agree

Guy was an ass.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
So I'm at one of my favorite LCS today picking out a few cards for personal collection but also resale purposes. We have a pretty good report over the years and while his prices are usually HIGH END retail he and I have come to an understanding that I don't pay those prices, so long as I buy a larger lot of cards. I typically pick up some off-grade stuff, random miscuts, etc. and so it is in his best interest and mine to come up with a price that works for both us....and for the most part it usually works out.

Anyway, today I had my usual pile of this stuff and as he is flipping through them considering my offer this LOUDMOUTH regular watching the transaction decides to have diarrhea of the mouth and run his mouth on and on about how TOUGH the '61 high numbers I have picked out are to get, especially compared to the '62s, etc. and a couple other pearls of wisdom. Anyway, by the end of the deal, my shop owner buddy needless to say seem slightly disappointed with my offer price, probably in part by HOW TOUGH THESE 61 HIGH NUMBERS were according to the jabber-jaw in the peanut gallery...

Am I right to be upset? I shot an ugly luck towards the blabber-mouth but also wanted to give a swift kick to the cajones.... Am I overreacting????
Dealer seemed "slightly disappointed"

"probably . . . according to the . . . peanut gallery"

Was "slightly disappointed" your perception, or did he tell you so?

Is "probably" your assumption?

Lot's of ways to interpret things or misinterpret things.

Not being there, couldn't say if you are overreacting or not.

The big question is . . .Did you buys the cards at a price the two of you agreed upon?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM
je.sse @rnot

I agree running your mouth while someone else is trying to make a deal is pretty bad form. Unless some little old lady is about to be ripped off selling her husband's collection I would keep any comments to myself.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Christina Vader - banned

Default Mintacular

Delightful Username!!

Mintacular I simply Love it

Simple Show Etiquette was violated you are not over-reacting!

I do a lot of table-sitting as I am not too mobile I tend to hear and see a lot by observing behind-the-scenes of dealings -- I must say "Side Talk" it is the
most common show faux pas. The guy is ignorant so its more on you to know this is a common impediment and stomp his face like Boba.

Go Gators

CV