NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Manny
Banned

Default Cards loose inside SGC holders?

I just opened my newly graded T206 cards and I noticed that two of the cards appeared to be loose and tilted inside the holder and as I moved them around slightly to correct the problem, one of them got stuck on the side of the placeholder and another started moving diagonally out of the placeholder! I had to tap, tap, tap, the holder many times to get the card back firmly in the placeholder and centered correctly.

One of the cards got dinged in a corner as the card ran up the side of the holder. Horrible.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I had a card loose in a PSA holder one time. Luckily it was already in poor shape, but I ended up selling it.

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I've had cards in SGC holders get between the black insert and the plastic case. After tapping the card loose, it usually shows some edge damage such as a thin layer of the cardboard rolled or lifted up. Seems all holder types have their flaws but BVG tends to keep cards secure and damage free.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Got 10 t206's back from SGC a few weeks ago, had the same problem with 4 of them. It was clear the black inserts were too small haven"t gotten around to contacting them but something is up. If those inserts are precut from a supplier they def. shorted them.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Andrew

My last two submissions had cards that looked like this, a total of 8 that were loose, 5 cards I could tap back in place and 3 cards I could not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2112 797.jpg (73.6 KB, 508 views)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I agree that Beckett has the best holders in terms of securing the card and preventing float or the insert from damaging the edges of the cards.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Daryl

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...28#post1012328
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It seems that the black insert thickness is less lately which is allowing alot of the newer submissions to come back with the cards all over the place. Whats worse is you win an auction and the scan shows the card nice and centered in the holder and after bouncing around from shipping, its all sideways in the holder. Happened to me when I won a T206 Hal Chase Sovereign 460 Blue Portrait SGC 60. What a shock when I opened the package .
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I agree that Beckett has the best holders in terms of securing the card and preventing float or the insert from damaging the edges of the cards.
+1

Beckett's holder is also tougher to break into. While there have been evidence of SGC and PSA cases being tampered with - like taking out the originally graded card and slipping in a new one of lower quality) I don't recall ever seeing a BVG tampered with.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

This would annoy me to no end if I got a card and it was out of it's place in the slab.

Can't you send it back to SGC and have them re-holder it for free in cases like this?

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
N.ate A.dams

Recent submissions for me have had the same problem, 50% of them.

Their batch of holders, as someone else has suggested, may have been a tiny bit short!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 PM

PSA was often horrible with their caramel card slabbings being all over the place and cards floating all over the place. SGCs rarely had these type problems, but yes, I agree, lately I have had a few come back from SGC which have shifted in transit (?) I was really stunned because I hadn't ever had this problem from them before. I also had 2 slabs in my last shipment which had deep scratches in the front of the slab. These 2 cards were in the middle of the shipped cards so it had to have happened at SGC. Very discouraging...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I had an N167 rattler in my last order; fortunately no damage done to the card itself but I did have to tap it back into place.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Greg Mitchell

Can't you return for no charge and get fixed? I would think that -- as shown by the strong critiques here -- that SGC would be happy to comply.

Anyone from SGC out there to comment? I just turned in an Old Judge at a show--a cross over purely because of crappy PSA "floating"-- and now worried that will get same from SGC. If so, I will demand a re-do.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Can't you return for no charge and get fixed? I would think that -- as shown by the strong critiques here -- that SGC would be happy to comply.
I haven't had the "float" problem, but I've had cracked cases in shipments back from SGC. Each time it only took an email or phone call to SGC and they said to send it to them (at my cost) and they'd reslab an ship back at no cost. I assume the same would be true in these instances...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
send it to them (at my cost)
Shouldn't it be at their cost? After all you paid the included insurance; isn't that what the insurance is for?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM

The deep scratches/grooves on the front of brand new SGC slabs is very discouraging. Because they could not have happened in transit, the quality control guys must have taken the day off
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
pete ullman

I also have noticed some of my more recently graded cards have crappy...poor fitting inserts that cause my precious cards to move around...so much that I thought one of my cards had been grossly trimmed...actually I believe it was a t3...that had slid out of the insert like 2 inches off...very very disappointing to me?!?!

Nothing like paying top dollar for a shoddy product!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM

i am sort of new to this hobby so forgive me; what is up with the way the inside of the sgc holders are cut? it sometimes looks like a elementary school student cut them out.

Last edited by ynnek4; 08-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek4 View Post
i am sort of new to this hobby so forgive me; what is up with the way the inside of the sgc holders are cut? it sometimes looks like a elementary school student cut them out.
They are cut that way so the corners of the card does not rest against anything
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM

I think the underlying issue is that this has been happening for years and nothing has been done to imrove the gasket. I'm sure it's easier said than done to come up with a new gasket, but if I had a pricey card damaged from slipping under/over the gasket, I'd be pissed.

If you look at the gaskets close up, you can even see small bumps in the material resulting from the cutting process. I like the way cards look in the SGC holder, but the gasket needs improvement.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
I think the underlying issue is that this has been happening for years and nothing has been done to imrove the gasket. I'm sure it's easier said than done to come up with a new gasket, but if I had a pricey card damaged from slipping under/over the gasket, I'd be pissed.

If you look at the gaskets close up, you can even see small bumps in the material resulting from the cutting process. I like the way cards look in the SGC holder, but the gasket needs improvement.
I couldn't agree more! I too love the way the cards look in an SGC holder, but sometimes there are fingerprints or smudges on the gasket and that really takes away from the overall presentation of the card.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Default Thin Cards

I have had the cards slip a few times, but mostly with cards that are very thin.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i've also been getting subpar services from sgc lately, especially after glyn and brian is gone and the new regime took over.

the latest was $25 cost to slab a trimmed d359 plank. after talking on email and writing in big letters "HOLDER IF AUTHENTIC" on the submission form and including said email...the card just came back in a cardsaver with an "altered" tag. can i be any more clear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag.jpg (43.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i've also been getting subpar services from sgc lately, especially after glyn and brian is gone and the new regime took over.

the latest was $25 cost to slab a trimmed d359 plank. after talking on email and writing in big letters "HOLDER IF AUTHENTIC" on the submission form and including said email...the card just came back in a cardsaver with an "altered" tag. can i be any more clear?
Your message is clear and they should have holdered it. They have a box to mark if you want an AUT card in a holder. Do you know if you marked that?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
qu@n nguy3n

leon--i don't submit alot so didn't have the hardcopy subs on hand, i printed the form online and they don't have the checkbox. i'd also sent earl an email informing him i'm sending a "trimmed" d359 plank his way and asked for the cost...i included that email also in c/o earl with the sub.

don't know what else i could've done, besides writing those big words in big red marker. that always got my attention in school.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
leon--i don't submit alot so didn't have the hardcopy subs on hand, i printed the form online and they don't have the checkbox. i'd also sent earl an email informing him i'm sending a "trimmed" d359 plank his way and asked for the cost...i included that email also in c/o earl with the sub.

don't know what else i could've done, besides writing those big words in big red marker. that always got my attention in school.
Actually I just checked and the box is there, right near the top. It's almost the first thing I see when I go to online submissions. There is a box on the left of it to check and It says...

Check here if you would like SGC to encapsulate any trimmed or color-enhanced card(that is authentic) with the "A" designation.

I am not saying they shouldn't have holdered it but if you didn't check the box then it's partially your fault imo.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i do see it now, i never noticed it was there before. guess i thought it'd be further down to the cards' description. chalk it up to being an altered card noob. would've been nice if they paid more attention to the one card that costs almost 4x more to grade than all the other cards in the sub which i already told them was trimmed.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Sgc software bug

Quan and all,
Be aware there is a software bug in the online submissions for SGC!!!

As mentioned, its pretty easy to notice the upper left corner where you'd select "yes i want SGC to encapsulate" or whatever the exact words are above...BUT then once you save and submit to print the invoice, the form moves to a printable version AND THIS OPTION WHERE YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY CHECKED "YES"GOES AWAY!!
ON THE PRINTED PAGE THAT IS REQUIRED, YOU MUST HANDWRITE AGAIN THAT YOU AGREE TO A "AUTHENTIC" GRADE SLAB!

Every submission I have done, maybe 8 or 9 of them, I have written this in because it never gets fixed. I write "please fix this software bug". I was furious when my initial grading with SGC resulted in a top loader, no slab and a brief note saying the card would not grade numerically or some nonsense. I *know* I checked that box online, but it didn't print, and SGC didn't slab my card.

Years ago SGC acknowledged this, but it has never been fixed. That was not the ideal way for my introduction to TPG back then, but things have cleared up and I have been pleased with the service...still that software bug annoys me!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

BTW, I don't think all of the "old guard" are completely gone from SGC. I know that for my most recent submission to SGC about 1-2 months ago, Michael Goldberg actually handled the loggage. He said that he was working as a consultant there, and he clarified some of the things on my submission with me. It was very helpful.

Regarding what Brian said about the software bug in the authentic checkbox on the SGC submission form, I know that I brought that up to Michael also when he was at a show in San Francisco a couple of years ago. At that time, he told me that the bug was erratic, in that for some people, the checkbox worked correctly, but for others, it did not. I know that for me, like Brian, it has never worked correctly. My memory may be failing me, but I think I also remember Michael saying something along the lines that the person who originally wrote a lot of the software at SGC stunk, or something along those lines.... (However, the person who wrote the SGC Registry software was much better.)

In Quan's case, I think if he called SGC when the submission popped and before it shipped, SGC probably would have fixed it and holdered the card. However, SGC does not holder "zombie" cards. I had an E95 Wagner that had some bits of the card glued back onto it. When I spoke with Derek Grady, he told me that SGC could not holder the card like that. However, if I removed these "zombie" parts, SGC would give me a free review to see if they could holder the card then. And when I removed those glued in parts, SGC did holder the card for me for free (not including shipping). I assume this wasn't the case for Quan since his card was probably just trimmed, but just FYI.

About free reholders, you would probably have to call SGC customer service. On my most recent submission, I had an oversized card (a 1934 Goudey Premium) crack open. This is an unfortunate thing that can happen in SGC's larger holders, which is why I usually prefer PSA or BVG for larger cards. However, the card was too large for PSA, and I am planning on selling the card, and SGC's reputation still goes further in that respect. (I have the same card holdered by Beckett for my personal collection.) Anyway, the point is, when I called SGC to tell them about this, I was immediately offered a free reholder when I send in my next submission.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

I guess I've had good luck as well. My submission last month had no problems, despite my best efforts. I forgot to put the printout in the box, but I called and they said to just mail the printout and they'd put them together when they were both there. They actually called when the cards came in, ten realized the box was on one desk while the invoice was being opened at another. They said they'd try to finish them on time but were busy since arrival and due dates were before and after the national. And they did get it done on time. As usual, the grades confused me, a couple I thought were low, a couple I thought were generous, so it's a bit of a wash.

Steve B
PS- A good submission for me, 3 of the T 206s were 80 or 82, with a few in the 60-70 range.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:

Same thing happened to me with a couple T206 cards. I always send in an Excel spreadsheet that replicates the submission form. I have to send those back in on my next submission.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:

Yes, there is a bug with the software. I always correct the checkbox in red ink and hi-light it. But your card was deemed "altered" not authentic. SGC will only holder cards that grade numerically or are Trimmed or Color Enhanced:

"Check here if you would like SGC to encapsulate any trimmed or color-enhanced card(that is authentic) with the "A" designation."
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I have a few cards I was going to send in for review and crossover, but now I think I'm going to hold off now until they get their gasket issue fixed. Sorry this has been happening to you guys but I surely appreciate the sharing of this info. Hopefully SGC gets this fixed fast because it will definitely affect their business. I bet many others will wait to send in orders until this issue is fixed.