NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Default psa and sgc holders - how protective of the cards inside

for those with experience and or specific knowledge could you please share same?

all questions pertain to the card inside the holder after 10 or 20 years in the holder.

how would both of these card holders react to humidity or dryness in a std house environment over the long term ie what happens to the card in the holder

how would both of these card holders react to dropping the card accidently into a bucket of water, ie what happens to the card in the holder

exposure having the card holder mounted on the wall where natural sunshine comes through the window and shines on the card inside the cardholder, will the cards inside fade or is their a protective uv type coating on the card holder that prevents cards from fading

exposure having the card holder sitting on a table in a room for long periods of time, ie years, and the card thus exposed to normal 5 - 10 hours a day lights on with these lighting sources. will the card fade from.

1. incandesant light bulb lighting
or
2. led light bulb lighting

i can make logical guesses but am seeking someone with real results and or experiences over the most recent 10 or so years or anyone with specific knowledge of what the two card grading companies, psa and sgc, specifically know and share.

anyone got actual experience or seen reports of actual testing by the two card grading companies?

mostly i am trying to understand what happens 10 - 50 years down the road to all the hobbies slabbed cards. the above answers will help me better sate my curiosity.

many thanks,
jsq
Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Archive

jsq

Given the fact that some of these cards are already over 100 years old and survived that long without being encapsulated by any grading company, I think its safe to say that they will last a long time after being slabbed.

As far as sun exposure, well I wouldn't suggest letting cards sit in direct sunlight. Can't really say what would happen since I've never tried it. I have seen some Cracker Jacks that were left sitting in an antique store front window for years. They looked more like leather than cardboard/paper.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Picked this SGC Robinson up a while back - I believe the slab was left out in the sun (maybe a dashboard or something)

photo 050 Robinson 84 1_zpssemaksp7.jpg

I sent in for reslab and the the result is shown below. Fairly remarkable as it appears that the slab and flip were the only thing affected. The flip more than the slab.

photo 050 Robinson 84 2_zpsmapi4h95.jpg
Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Picked this SGC Robinson up a while back - I believe the slab was left out in the sun (maybe a dashboard or something)

photo 050 Robinson 84 1_zpssemaksp7.jpg

I sent in for reslab and the the result is shown below. Fairly remarkable as it appears that the slab and flip were the only thing affected. The flip more than the slab.

photo 050 Robinson 84 2_zpsmapi4h95.jpg
That's amazing, what are the chances of the slab getting ruined by light and the card remaining unharmed?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 AM

thank you for posting the jackie robinson card and faded holder photo.

it is very impressive that the card seems to have not faded.

i wonder if the section over the card has a uv filter or some such thing?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 AM

I know BGS and BVG holders have a UV protective coating on their holders, not sure about the others. That beautiful Robinson above leads me to believe SGC does as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Don't display your cards in the sun above a bucket of water.

A lot of damage, in fact most, is due to handling. Holders don't allow anything near perfect protection, but do allow the owner to handle and look at the cards whenever he or she wants.

Last edited by drcy; 12-08-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's amazing, what are the chances of the slab getting ruined by light and the card remaining unharmed?
The main reason for what happened and what didn't happen has way more to do with the card in the holder. 1955 Topps cards do not fade very easy.

EDIT: If it was the so called UV protection of the holder the flip wouldn't have faded.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-08-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM
J1m C0chran

Here is a card that has faded from exposure. The original owner said he displayed it in direct sunlight for 3 to 4 years. Bottom card is from the PSA website for comparisons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 DAVEY O'BRIEN (8) 14859176 FF.jpg (76.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Here is a card that has faded from exposure. The original owner said he displayed it in direct sunlight for 3 to 4 years. Bottom card is from the PSA website for comparisons.
That is cool, thanks for sharing. I don't know about football cards and what years fade easily. Baseball varies greatly from year to year and even front to back on a few years.

I would think that the card you posted is also hard to fade if it sat out in direct sunlight for that long and still has that much color. The 58 Topps baseball cards fade very easily and would change that much in that many months. That is why all those fake/altered Blue Front Hank Aaron cards showed up.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I had a friend that had a large collection on display, most of the SGC flips turned brown under the florescent lighting. It was due to the paper that SGC uses, more like the old thermal fax paper. A few of the cards faded badly and some of the wax packs and boxes, but most didn't.

There was a guy that posted a video on CU years ago of him taking a PSA holder to home depot, attaching it to a paint can, and turning the shaker on for 3 minutes. No damage at all. He then threw a few holders in the dryer and let it go for half an hour, again, no issues.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 PM

this is fascinating that some years fade easily and others do not.

thanks so much to the person who posted the faded fb card comparison. most educational.

has anyone figured out what the difference is from those prone to fading and the non faders?

also, since you seem pretty well versed on this, what years/makes are really robust in terms of sun and what years/makes are wussies when it comes to sun fading??

thanks,
jsq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is cool, thanks for sharing. I don't know about football cards and what years fade easily. Baseball varies greatly from year to year and even front to back on a few years.

I would think that the card you posted is also hard to fade if it sat out in direct sunlight for that long and still has that much color. The 58 Topps baseball cards fade very easily and would change that much in that many months. That is why all those fake/altered Blue Front Hank Aaron cards showed up.