NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Default A Pity

What a shame........we're running out of low-life draft dodgers.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Whoa. I am not a prolific poster by any means, but I can't imagine the restraint I would have to have to only post four times in 7 years on this board.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Whoa. I am not a prolific poster by any means, but I can't imagine the restraint I would have to have to only post four times in 7 years on this board.

That's okay. Based on his response less is more...a lot more!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Hmm. Four posts in seven years.

Do us all a favor, George. See if you can't up your average length of time between posts so we don't have to see you scurrying around on the board again any time soon.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM

He refused the draft a year before MLK delivered his major speech against Vietnam and then was assassinated the next day. Neither of them were low lifes. Some see refusing to enter foreign wars without just cause an act of moral courage, not cowardice. Any appreciation of historical context makes his decision understandable, whether you agree or not.

Thanks for the memories Ali, but I always favored Sugar Ray Leonard.
Quote:

Last edited by Dewey; 06-03-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
[REMOVED] This forum used to be great, but it's awful now. Arbitrary enforcement of rules by the moderator, plus people who don't know anything about vintage cards and don't care posting over & over again.

Last edited by bcornell; 06-06-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Virtually every OT thread on this forum is either silly or, like this one, a magnet for stupidity. Thanks, "George".

Leon, the rule should be if you don't put your name to it, you don't get to post at all. No qualifiers.

for 'george':

The statement is appropriate "You can't fix stupid."

- and another one from the same source (Ron White):

"Next time you have an idea, (rather than sharing it)- just let it go."

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Virtually every OT thread on this forum is either silly or, like this one, a magnet for stupidity. Thanks, "George".

Leon, the rule should be if you don't put your name to it, you don't get to post at all. No qualifiers.
George Altemose gave the unneeded opinion. I will say that this board has not always been friendly to the deceased, aka Where art thou now, Brucii?

And for Ali, RIP Champ...

a very good and succinct report is here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/muhamma...042902069.html

Last edited by Leon; 06-04-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Larry P.

RIP

Despite the controversy, a case can be made that he was the greatest athlete in his sport of all time, beyond the wins and losses.

Certainly the most recognizable sports figure world-wide.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Ali was one of the best entertainers inside or outside the ring I've ever seen.

Back in the early 70s my college roommate was visiting and he was catching a ride home in NYC. We went in early and we were just walking around the city when we happened on Ali walking to an engagement. It was amazing. Cabbies were stopping in the street yelling to him. Ali was smiling, talking to everyone. The people parted on the crowded sidewalk like he was Moses walking through the Red Sea. One kid jokingly challenged him to a fight. Ali stopped, dropped his bag, put on that mean "fight face" he did biting his lower lip, and whipped off a flurry of shadow box punches. Everybody laughed including him. My roommate and I both got his autograph. One of the best bits of New York theater I've ever seen.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Mark Rios

Nighty nite, Cassius.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Ben North

As someone who spent a lot of time in the old squared circle he will be missed. He was one of my heroes. The things that man could do in the ring was beyond belief.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:16 AM

RIP. A great fighter and a greater man.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
Ali was one of the best entertainers inside or outside the ring I've ever seen.

Back in the early 70s my college roommate was visiting and he was catching a ride home in NYC. We went in early and we were just walking around the city when we happened on Ali walking to an engagement. It was amazing. Cabbies were stopping in the street yelling to him. Ali was smiling, talking to everyone. The people parted on the crowded sidewalk like he was Moses walking through the Red Sea. One kid jokingly challenged him to a fight. Ali stopped, dropped his bag, put on that mean "fight face" he did biting his lower lip, and whipped off a flurry of shadow box punches. Everybody laughed including him. My roommate and I both got his autograph. One of the best bits of New York theater I've ever seen.
I got the chance to meet him, with a group of others, in what was a complete surprise circumstance a little less than 30 years ago. Quite a thrill. I stayed up late last night and got up early, listening to the discussion about Ali on NY's WFAN (via the Internet). Some great reflections from reporters who covered and knew Ali, but it was striking how many callers detailed their encounters with the man. He was simply great and gracious meeting with normal, regular folks in public. It's amazing to consider how many people he must've touched in this way. RIP
Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM
octavio ranzola

him and cosell were the best omg what a show ,,rip champ
Old 06-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Jeff R

Default RIP Champ

“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my rights here at home.”

- if he's a draft dodger, then put me in jail also.

Jeff Rogoff
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 06-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
I've got to jump in on this. Complete ignorance here. He did not dodge the draft. He refused to be inducted due to his religious convictions. He was arrested and convicted of violating the Selective Service Laws. He appealed and the U.S. Supreme Court agreed by an 8-0 vote (Thurgood Marshall recused himself). That is called courage of your convictions. He was willing to stay in this country and face the consequences of his actions unlike the cowards who hid in Canada. You should educate yourself before you brush your teeth with gunpowder and start shooting off your mouth.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”