NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default I love candy card (e90-3) questions?? Here's one.

Posted By: Robert A

What color variations have you guys/gals seen with the e90-3 set.
So far i've heard tell of or seen variations with cole, payne, and tinker.
Are there others?

Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Robert,

Here is your answer. . .

I too have seen the color "variations" concerning all the players you mentioned plus I know of a variation involving Chance. In EVERY instance the "variation" is caused by the lack of yellow being applied during th printing process.

Sometimes the colors we see, ie. the "green" background of the Tinker, is actully a layer of multiple colors on top of each other. In the Tinker case, it's a layer of blue ink and a layer of yellow ink. Together they appear green. Without the yellow, all you see is the blue, thus the variation.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

I think Brian McQueen said he saw a walsh variation also?

By the way, thanks pete for the explanation.

I love this set.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Walsh too???

I have never seen nor heard of a Walsh variation . . .

Brian? Got something cool to show us?

Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Thanks for the clarification, Pete. Robert and I were discussing this the other day and both of us were really wondering the origins behind these variations in the e90-3 set.

Robert, sorry to confuse you. With the Walsh, I was actually comparing the e90-3 Walsh to its e90-1 counterpart. They use the exact same pose/artwork but they swapped out the color palattes. Meaning, there is an orange background on the e90-1 and a red on the e90-3. Hope that makes a little more sense.

I did have one interesting observation about the e90-3 Walsh however, I've seen several instances of this card where it is offcenter, almost miscut even, from top to bottom. I've noticed this "lack of centering" on several other e90-3s too, it seems to be more prevailant in this set than any other. Another example, Dougherty and Archer are commonly found offcentered left to right it seems. So my question is basically, since caramel cards are not known for having that many examples of miscut/badly offcentered cards, what makes this set different in that regard?

Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

Are the e90-1 and e90-3 poses the same? i don't have the e90-1 anymore but I remember it showing a "younger" looking Walsh comparing to the type 3.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

Here's my two Payne cards with blue and green backgrounds.

http://www.sgccardregistry.com/images.asp?cardid=32432&usetid=753

Old 10-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

i have 2 distinctly different color dougherty's. one blue grayish the other probably with the yellow ink is greenish brown, the regular color i guess.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

Quan,Here's a scan of my e90-1 Walsh. It's larger than my other e90-1's.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Scott,

Add Dougherty. Seems like yellow was a problem with this issue.

Centering of the Dougherty is the one thing that stands out the most to me. I've seen centered Archer cards, I don't think I've seem a Dougherty that is centered. The Walsh poses from E90-1 vs. E90-3 are similar but probably not from the same photo.

Has anyone seen a Steinfeldt or Zeider variation? The Zeider would be the easiest to spot since the background is one color - yellow.