NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Default B/S/T - Always Posting Scans w/ Listings - too much to ask?!

Posted By: Trae R.

I really don't understand why sellers don't just post scans with their listings. It would make buyer's lives much easier. Think about the logic of it... I likely want the card(s) but would of course like to give the card(s) a once over first instead of making a blind leap into purchasing something that may look like crap. Who knows with grading standards these days, right?

So the situation occurs when you're "first on the scene" in the B/S/T - you fire off an email because requests for scans have to be made before a commitment to buy can happen, but someone commits to buy without a scan before you even get the scans back via email. It's very frustrating and pretty much defeats any "early bird gets the worm" type approach - it becomes a crap-shoot in my opinion.

If I could see the cards in the listing I would know immediately if I want them or not and not waste either of our time. This is not a personal attack on anyone but tonight this very issue came about when I wanted to purchase a few cards. It wasn't the first time it happened to me so it's essentially "the straw that broke the camel's back".

I am interested in the general consensus is on this. Please share your thoughts.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Trae,

It is possible that some people do not post scans simply because they do not know how to. Personally, I just learned how to do it a few months ago. Now if I can post a scan, pretty much anyone can.

But to answer your question, I think some folks, at least those who I've spoken with, do not know how to put up a scan on a webpage.

Josh

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I always post a scan with my BST posts and have had lots of good luck selling over there recently. Anyone who doesn't know how to post photos really needs to get a photobucket account. With the way this message board is set up to automatically make links to your photobucket account it's pretty easy.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Josh, I received an email from someone stating exactly that. You make a good point that makes perfect sense. I got way ahead of myself in thinking everyone on a computer knew how to handle that sort of thing.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Trae,
I agree with you 100%. I have raised this same issue a couple of times. There may be some who don't have or know how to use a scanner, but most people say something like, "scans available on request". WHy not just post them in the ad then? Imageshack.com is simple to use. I am not a computer guy and I have figured it out. If a luddite like me can do it, anyone can.
JimB

Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Yup, please post scans. If you can figure out how to send a scan as an email attachment, imbedding it in a post shouldn't be rocket science. Also, enough with the best offer posts. Shoot the moon with a price, if no one bites, lower it.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 07-20-2007, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

best offers and auctions belong on EBAY not the B/S/T. I love "the i'm taking offers" posts (agree with andrew) list a price!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

If anyone needs a spot for their images for BST, or the Pick Ups thread, or whatever...

feel free to post the images to the museum
http://www.internetville.com/museum/

Its free, its for us, and the more we post to it the more fun it is to visit.

Regards,
Joe

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I use a link for my eBay auctions, for other posts I may use scans or photos

Jimmy

Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish387t

the point you make is a good one. I use the BST thread from time to time and do not know how to post scans in the text. Would like to know how. It would cut down on the e-mails/scans and folks could see the cards and make a decision right away. Maybe a tutorial is in order?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Fouch

In most cases, I agree with the "list a price" comment. But I had a situation where I won an ebay lot of T206s and mixed in were a couple of E97's, a set about which I know nothing. I had no idea what price to list, so I took offers. Good thing I did, because one card was a relative rarity in the set, and the price I had in mind was way below what I could have gotten for it. One board member alerted me that I had a fairly rare card, and another board member, who ended up buying it, made me a more-than-fair offer.

So while I think the "make-me-an-offer" strategy is sometimes abused, I don't think it should be entirely off the table.

Rob

Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Toby or anyone else,

Here is how in 5 steps (using the museum):

1) Join http://www.internetville.com/museum/index.php
by clicking on the "@" symbol then 'register' on that site and filling out the form.

2) After you login to http://www.internetville.com/museum/index.php
go back to that "@" symbol and clicking on "upload file"

3) Go to the image you just uploaded and click on it.

4) Right click the image and choose "copy image location"

5) create your BST listing and click "paste". This will put the image address in your listing and it will show up as an image in your post.

Later,
Joe

Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

edited...joe beat me to it

Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I will give that I try at some point.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

Here is a way to upload photos to be hosted by Net54 that will last for a week. I don't think this works on a Mac so I use Photobucket for that.

Step 1: Click "Insert Object"

Step 2: In the pop-up click "Temporary Files"

Step 3: Click "Upload"

Step 4: 1st Click "Browse" and find the photo on your computer, a "Choose File" window will pop up to search for your photo.
2nd click "Upload"

Step 5: Click "Insert Link" on the right

Step 6: Your link will be in the message text area

Step 7: Very Important

Sean BH

Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If that doesn't work email me, we can get on the phone, and I can walk you through it once on the phone. I generally use the temp folder on Net54. I also use my own website to host pics when they are above 128k, and then paste the url here....let me know if you need help...it's super easy...LL

Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K@sel

I think Trae is right, but I've found it just as easy/accommodating to post a link to a site that has the cards listed like photobucket, or other personal site where the card and price can be viewed. If you are selling 10 - 20 individual cards it's much easier to manage and you don't have to worry about sending out emails. For the seller it makes it a lot easier managing/editing the original post as well. Just my $.02

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

What's really great is when a card is listed for sale with no scan, you e-mail requesting a scan and the seller never gets back to you but updates the ad to say the card has been sold.

Oh wait, that happened to me just this morning.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i will agree with bill, putting the "photobucket.com" link into the posts was the best thing, it is the easiest way to insert your scans/photos...imo

Old 07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Including scans only serves to remove the element of surprise, which makes the buying experience so much more enjoyable.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

ty