NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should there be 2 National Conventions a year?
Yes 91 47.40%
No 101 52.60%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM

No.

I'm on team Rob.

Baltimore was nice, mostly because it wasn't Cleveland. What made the National great back then were the many collectible avenues and the unpredictable nature of the show that surrounded the current card craze (at the time) which ceases to exist. And eBay and auction houses with their thick catalogs. IMO, there is a reason why there are so few card shows today.

I have been going to Willow Grove (now the Hunt debacle) since 1988 and the last show was a disgrace of sorts, and it doesn't appear that it will ever be what that great show once was. If there were no autograph guests, would anyone come? After you pay $80 for Schilling, will you have any money left over to buy and if you are paying that for him, do you care about vintage cards and memorabilia anyways?

I think I will stick to the one National per year.

DanC
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Rich Klein

Default A quick "hobby history" lesson

Circa 1994; just as the Hobby was about to go on a downward slope (circumstances including baseball strike, internet, etc) many of the major dealers were trying to create a group of mini-Nationals each year.

The Late Wanda Marcus was hosting the "Southwest" National and there was one in 1994, Gloria Rothstein already had the "East Coast National" and I believe Jack Petruzelli was going to do the "West Coast National". I can't for my memory remember who was going to host the "Mid-West National".

The concept was, as we were discussing in this thread, the National being too big and too hard to get to each year for everyone, so the National would be brought to them.

Alas, with the confluence of events beginning in August 1994, this set up never occured.

If this did not happen when we were still close to our hobby peak, how we going to pull this off today

One National a year is plenty, but perhaps some local promoters can step up their game to help bring shows back

Regards
Rich Klein
Old 10-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Just curious; so what are (currently) the major shows held . . .

. . . and when/where are they generally held each year ?

Could any of them be considered scaled-down versions of a National show ? I realize that use of the term "scaled-down" is quite vague, so I'll leave it up to you to decide what's acceptable and what's not.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
One National a year is plenty, but perhaps some local promoters can step up their game to help bring shows back

Regards
Rich Klein
I agree with this. One is enough but it sure would be nice to see promoters step up and bring back shows but we have to do our part and support them.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i voted for 2 just in case they'd consider having the west coast on the rotation again...self-serving i guess as that's the only chance i get to meet up with jimb again as he's big-leagued me since stumbling on this board and finding cooler friends...
I am up for coffee and cards again any time when I am in your neck of the woods.
JimB
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default group hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I am up for coffee and cards again any time when I am in your neck of the woods.
JimB
I feel a group hug coming on....duck, quick
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
JimB
hehe just playing around jim...our schedules got crossed up a couple times we couldn't meet. we'll see each other again sometimes down the line, no biggie.

-Q
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
I agree with this. One is enough but it sure would be nice to see promoters step up and bring back shows but we have to do our part and support them.
How would you (and everyone else on the board) go about organizing a show, if given the chance?

And for those of you whom have done shows in the past, what do you usually look for in deciding to book a table. I'm thinking cost of the table, location of event, and type of show?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Default Good idea

Maybe there could be a "Net54 show". Just vintage - cards, memorabilia, autographs, etc,... but only vintage material.

I believe Ed Keetz in Syracuse (?) had done this in the past & I was told it was very successful.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
My suggestion is that the National should be held twice a year.
Perhaps in April and then September.

First, I voted no, in particular because of the suggested months.

There is a lot of discussion about the growth or non-growth of the hobby, but one thing that I believe is that the long term growth of the hobby will not come from people on their death beds, but rather children introduced to the hobby.

April and September, kids are in school, and that would eliminate them from the mix unless they are local to the venue for the weekend.

August is perfect for the national as part of a family vacation. My 16YO had a blast with me in Baltimore this year, and along with my wife we also did many others things during the week that we spent there. It also makes it more financially reasonable for me to incorporate the National as part of a family vacation.

With that said though, looking back on Baltimore, I don't recall seeing many other minors at the convention. So maybe my thoughts that this is a good family type thing are not shared by many.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Jason Jones

With the exception of this year, why is the convention always in Ohio or Illinois? I attended the Atlanta show in the early-/mid-nineties with my dad and had a great time
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I feel a group hug coming on....duck, quick
Come on Leon, join in. The more, the merrier.
After all those Dead shows, I think I am a hippie at heart.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 10-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
There is a lot of discussion about the growth or non-growth of the hobby, but one thing that I believe is that the long term growth of the hobby will not come from people on their death beds, but rather children introduced to the hobby.
I am not sure kids would get into the hobby by themselves. Kids always look for the cool new thing to do whether it's video games, music, etc. Why try to collect a set or a player when there are more rewarding* things to do?

I say this because had my dad not showed/purchased cards for me, I really don't think I'd be into collecting cards now.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Tyler Cox

Currently 52.81% voted NO. Does this mean that Ted is now the contrarian?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

One good show is better than 2 bad shows.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM

All things being equal, who among this group of geeks would not enjoy more Nationals and closer to home? The fact that more than half of us do not think it is a good idea is telling IMHO. I guess all things are not equal.
JimB
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

I voted No as well. And wasn't Keetz out of Albany, New York? I think he still does a few shows a year. I think he did the Mets 86 reunion show.

Here's the million dollar question: The National is in first place, but what show is in second? Doesn't seem like it's King Of Prussia. Anyone been to Chantilly? Anything out West?

Larry