NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 AM

Default Collectors that only buy cards

I was just wondering if there are any collectors, that are strictly buyers, meaning that they buy individual or groups of cards here and there, but never sell, and would only sell if they absolutely need the money.

I am getting to the point of becoming this way, 95% of my transactions have been buying and I did a little trading here and there, but traded away cards I didn't have doubles of and kind of wish I still had them. I think I sold only a couple of cards but if I did it over again I probably wouldn't have sold them (mind you these were only 10 or 20 dollars cards but I guess the point is they are cards I no longer have)

It's just neat to accumulate a collection and watch it grow I find. The only trading I've done did involve changing my collecting focus, but I've been changing my collecting focus a lot where I put a set I am working on away for 6 months on the back burner, then get into it again, it is at that point I kind of regret trading away some of the cards in that set -- so I think, going forward I am going to avoid trading or selling... not become a hoarder, but slowly adding to my collection here and there and just enjoying the journey.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think a fair number of today's collectors are that way, and I have seen posts on this board from people who just buy. One reason to sell once in a while is to get a real world feel for pricing, but you aren't alone.

I watched a 1940s Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie and there was this old guy who collected rare music boxes. A beautiful brunette woman wanted to buy a particular music box he had and he said he couldn't sell it no matter what the offer, because "a collector never sells." A striking definition I hadn't heard voiced before. The only problem is the woman was a mystery movie femme fatale, shot and killed him and took the music box.

Some of today's collectors sell because they enjoy selling. It's part of their hobby.

Last edited by drcy; 07-24-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Ken McMillan

I will buy cards most of the time and sometimes I find an upgrade leaving me with extras. I will tend to sell or trade duplicate for the right cards or dollars. Don't tend to have too many dupes but why keep them if you do not need them.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 AM
Chris P.

I am strictly a collector/buyer. Even if I was to decide to sell my collection I would probably consign to a big ebayer or someone here on Net54 so I didn't have to bother with it.

I envy many people on here who are buying and selling as a career, or even as a paid hobby. I wish I could do that but I just do not have the patience to deal with all the craziness.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

I'm a collector/buyer and I only sell when I really need the money, which is pretty much all the time.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned

Default reluctant seller

I can't stand selling, but my buying habits make it necessary.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Bruce C.

Can't tell you the last time I sold anything...maybe 8 years ago? I've got a few cards I'd let go because they're somewhat in demand and I could use the funds to buy something I really want, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

I have given quite a few newer items away to kids who are starting collections though.