NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
I'm waiting for the Atlantic City National.

Looks like a lot of competition on eBay this year during the National with all the others that are passing as well.

Best of luck to all who are attending.

Patrick
As am I.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I was planning on attending. Then I got to thinking about the cost. I estimate it will cost me at least 1.5k in travel and lodging expense so I could walk around and look at over-priced cards. I can stay home, keep that money, and have it to spend on a fairly priced card which I can purchase from the comfort of my living room.

The downside is it is always fun to talk cards with folks and look at some really cool items. Just not sure that is worth the cost. Anyone want to try to convince me I am wrong and should attend?
You must be traveling from the West Coast for those costs. Attended Cleveland about 10 years ago, was not impressed. might show up.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM

I doubt it. I haven't bought much at recent shows, as I already have all the cards that I want and can also afford. Still fun to walk the floor and socialize but hard to justify the trip. May make the Atlantic City show.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
Not this year. Two reasons. 1. Cleveland 2. Cleveland. Plan to be in Chicago next year . . .
+1
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Lots of reasons to go anyway:
  • Indians are in town all 5 days
  • All of the hotels have bars
  • We will be in the bars
  • Re-vamped area next to the burning river is really cool
  • The dealers will all be there, so apparently there will be less competition from fellow collectors
  • Board members who you have never met will be there
  • There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other
  • free autographs from sports figures you have never heard of

(edited to add 5th grudge I had forgotten about)

Last edited by Runscott; 06-16-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Thinking about going, it would be my first time, but don't have the funds to do it myself. Hoping to find a ride/hotel partner.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
...There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other...
I did a spit take when I read this - hilarious Scott!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Al

I will be there, once again set up side by side with my pal Ryan Christoff. I'll be accepting consignments for and displaying material from the summer LOTG auction, and Ryan will be selling and displaying selections from his amazing inventory of Cuban material. As with the last two years, we will have annoying music, a free pack of cards for the kids, and a chair for you to take a rest in while you show us what you bought. Please stop by and say hi.

And of course, when the show floor is closed, I'll be in the bar.

-Al
Old 06-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Tom Boblitt

I'll be there with Cliftons8 (Mike Brockman) part of the usual group I go with. Jeff Drum (HRBAKER) is out this year as are a couple other guys from our group. I'm not sure how many Clevelands this is but this is #23 National in a row. First one, 1992 Atlanta..........more Clevelands and Chicagos than I want to count, some St. Louis, Houston, ACity,2-3 Anaheims and another Atlanta I think.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
No Adam, Bill C., Jim B. and TBob. We may as well cancel the damn thing.
One great regret about missing the National is not having my annual dinner and lots of great hanging around with Ed and Gary Nucherino. Not getting to see Adam, Jim B. and Bill C., even if I went, would seem weird. I know a lot of my friends ARE going so I wish them a fantastic time and hope to see you all in Chicago next summer. With the dearth of cards I need to try to complete sets available at the National, the comeraderie of fellow collectors is the main reason I go the Nationals now...
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Be there Friday and hopefully Saturday. Less than 10 miles away. Can't wait.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Have fun Jon. I almost wish I was going so I could pester you into showing me your amazing Ripken collection in person.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Easy commute for you.

I am there Wed - Sun
Old 06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not looking good for me right now. I hurt my ankle earlier this year and put off an MRI and possible surgery in the hope I could rehab it, but I was on vacation last week and after a few days of moderate city walking it blew up and is still agonizing. I will get it MRI'd and find out what's exactly happening but the MD suspects a shredded tendon that will need to be repaired. So, unless we find some sort of interim solution there is no way to do the show--after a few hours of roaming the floor the first day I'd be toast.
2nd opinion sought out, slightly different diagnosis and treatment, so I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to make the trip, albeit in a leg brace. I won't make the final call until a week or two before the show. Then it's lots of Advil and ice packs...

The only bright spot in this is that I qualify for a temporary handicapped parking permit. That is a huge deal in Los Angeles, especially if I go to the beach, a concert or the ballgame, or virtually any restaurant of note. Plus, I get to pre-board the flight to Cleveland. Sweet!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-18-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
2nd opinion sought out, slightly different diagnosis and treatment, so I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to make the trip, albeit in a leg brace. I won't make the final call until a week or two before the show. Then it's lots of Advil and ice packs...

The only bright spot in this is that I qualify for a temporary handicapped parking permit. That is a huge deal in Los Angeles, especially if I go to the beach, a concert or the ballgame, or virtually any restaurant of note. Plus, I get to pre-board the flight to Cleveland. Sweet!
Hope you can make it, Adam. There are enough dealers you know that you can have a rest every several feet if you need to. You have an open invitation to sit behind our table and rest as long as you want to. Going to the National for me is more about seeing old friends than it is picking anything up or selling anything. I do that all of the time online. I know I am in the small minority but I love hanging out and talking cards and stuff more than anything else...

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hope you can make it, Adam. There are enough dealers you know that you can have a rest every several feet if you need to. You have an open invitation to sit behind our table and rest as long as you want to. Going to the National for me is more about seeing old friends than it is picking anything up or selling anything. I do that all of the time online. I know I am in the small minority but I love hanging out and talking cards and stuff more than anything else...
+1 We'll always have an extra chair at our booth for you, Adam.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Lots of reasons to go anyway:
  • Indians are in town all 5 days
  • All of the hotels have bars
  • We will be in the bars
  • Re-vamped area next to the burning river is really cool
  • The dealers will all be there, so apparently there will be less competition from fellow collectors
  • Board members who you have never met will be there
  • There will be at least 6 people there who represent 5 forum grudges, so you can either see happy new friendships or old guys punching each other
  • free autographs from sports figures you have never heard of

(edited to add 5th grudge I had forgotten about)
You know, as one of those grudges, I'm really angry about this post. How do you know I'm old?? Sure, I'm at the far end of middle age, and I have the back of an 80-year old, and I take way too many bathroom breaks through the night, and I can't stand the music these kids listen to these days, and...

Disregard. I'm old.
Since I never could take a punch anyways, I'm just going to plan on being part of a happy new friendship.

Ken

PS: The river burned 40 years ago, so those jokes are passe. We are a new, improved Cleveland. Please keep all jokes fresh. Suggestions: the Browns, the Cavs, Manziel, midges, or the Cleveland Public School System. (OK, that last one has also been a joke for 40 years.)
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Kev1n @1les

This post prompted me to get my hotel locked up (coming from North of Pittsburgh). The Residence Inn and Marriott were sold out and I wanted to use points, so I am staying at the Courtyard Cleveland Airport North - 24901 Country Club Boulevard, North Olmstead.

Me and my two sons will be checking in Friday, hitting the show, going back at it all day on Saturday and then making the late night trek back to Cranberry.

If anyone is staying at the same hotel, let me know.

Kevin
Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
You know, as one of those grudges, I'm really angry about this post. How do you know I'm old?? Sure, I'm at the far end of middle age, and I have the back of an 80-year old, and I take way too many bathroom breaks through the night, and I can't stand the music these kids listen to these days, and...

Disregard. I'm old.
Since I never could take a punch anyways, I'm just going to plan on being part of a happy new friendship.

Ken

PS: The river burned 40 years ago, so those jokes are passe. We are a new, improved Cleveland. Please keep all jokes fresh. Suggestions: the Browns, the Cavs, Manziel, midges, or the Cleveland Public School System. (OK, that last one has also been a joke for 40 years.)
Thanks, Ken - I look forward to meeting you. I wasn't actually poking fun at the burning river thing - I just couldn't remember what that area was called. When I first visited Cleveland (to see a ballgame at the old gigantic stadium), they had fixed up that new area and there were still a lot of references to the river.

Manziel could very well be the new Cleveland joke, but since I went to the same school he did, whatever he does to embarrass Cleveland will further embarrass myself and Texas A&M as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Jamie

I will be there running around with Chris looking for T206 rare backs and errors
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 PM

After getting a few PMs encouraging me to go to my first national, I'll try to make it work. Going to talk to some nearby folks about ride/hotel sharing. I can't really do it by myself (the trip from Raleigh is a tad bit far...I'll fall asleep at the wheel).

Any suggestions? Should I avoid staying far away despite cheaper rates? What are the best days to go if I can't do all 5?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Pete Costanzo

I'll be going for just my second time. Not sure which days, but looking forward to meeting some new friends from the board!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Thanks, Ken - I look forward to meeting you. I wasn't actually poking fun at the burning river thing - I just couldn't remember what that area was called. When I first visited Cleveland (to see a ballgame at the old gigantic stadium), they had fixed up that new area and there were still a lot of references to the river.

Manziel could very well be the new Cleveland joke, but since I went to the same school he did, whatever he does to embarrass Cleveland will further embarrass myself and Texas A&M as well.
That'd be the flats, but it's not what it was, it's being completely redeveloped now. Probably the best area to hang out or have drinks would be west 4th, just a couple blocks over from the Indians' stadium.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Zach

I wish I could make it but I have a family vacation coming up the week before. I couldn't justify spending more money and missing more work. Maybe next year...
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Cory

I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Should be a good time.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thanks guy I am sure I will take you up on your offers at some point.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Default I cannot wait!

I cannot wait! Since 1980 I have only missed less than a hand-full of Nationals! I look forward to seeing everyone!
Regards, Andy Sandler (845) 331-8610 andy@allsportsauctions.com
Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Bill Scheffel

Default 2014 Net 54 Dinner

Any details on the annual Net 54 dinner for 2014 in Cleveland?
Old 06-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
Any details on the annual Net 54 dinner for 2014 in Cleveland?
Not having one in Cleveland. Will probably resume next year in Chicago.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not having one in Cleveland. Will probably resume next year in Chicago.

So where are we drinking? I heard Shernan30 is buying.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Alex - We will be downtown. Come join us !!!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

That emoticon has grown exponentially since its debut.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Alex - We will be downtown. Come join us !!!

I will. How is the public transport in Cleveland?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Alex Tymchuk

This will be my 5th National and my 3rd Cleveland National. I'll be bringing about 80 OJ and 60 T206 HOFers to sell... have to pay for 3 college tuitions
Alex Tymchuk (Alexcards) / Atlanta
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

My dad and I will be attending. It will be both of ours first National. Kinda excited
Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Joe Drouillard

I plan to be there for a couple of days. Look forward to meeting many of the Net54 faithful.

Joe
Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default National

Just made some last minute plans to attend on Wednesday and Thursday.

I am an old head and more into postwar stuff now a days, so don't know most of you except for Leon, but look forward to possibly meeting others on the NET and putting names to faces and talking cards!

I am getting in to Cleveland VERY early Wednesday AM. Can't even get into my hotel room, so I have nothing to do early Wednesday. Any chance anyone has a dealer badge I could borrow for the day to get into the show before it is open to the public at four ? PM me if so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 07-12-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Cory

Default Dinners

I know Heritage is having a dinner/drinks/auction event Thursday. Does anyone know the other dinner events that are going on at the National?
Thanks,Cory
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Bruce C.

I'll be there Wed-Sun and I'm bringing my nephew. Taking Sat off to go to the football HOF induction.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Matt

Default a day early...

Myself, along with Andy G. and Bill from Detroit will be heading in on Tuesday afternoon to catch the Indians game that night. We'll probably be looking for something to do Wednesday morning/early afternoon, if anybody has any suggestions.

Matt
Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Steven H.

I'll be coming into town Friday mid-morning and staying thru Sunday. Hitting up the Indians game with my wife and another board member Saturday night. Can't wait to get back to Cleveland. Columbus is boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I used to joke I'd go to the National when it was either in Seattle or Portland, but I'm going this time. Have an open mind about Cleveland. A friend says she likes Detroit when she goes there for work, so who knows-- and she works in and is a native of Manhattan. I liked Milwaukee when I visited and am a native to the Midwest. As a classical music fan, I can attest that the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra makes about every, if not every, world's best top ten list. Between that and the world famous Cleveland Clinic, the city obviously has something going for it.

I will be at Scott F's (Belltown Vintage Cards) table plan on 'certifying' photographs and related if anyone's interested. I went so far as buying a personalized embossment stamper just for the National. My first goal is to make back the money I paid for the stamper. I figure if I can do that, the sky's the limit.

Last edited by drcy; 07-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I used to joke I'd go to the National when it was either in Seattle or Portland, but I'm going this time. Have an open mind about Cleveland. A friend says she likes Detroit when she goes there for work, so who knows-- and she works in and is a native of Manhattan. I liked Milwaukee when I visited and am a native to the Midwest. As a classical music fan, I can attest that the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra makes about every, if not every, world's best top ten list. Between that and the world famous Cleveland Clinic, the city obviously has something going for it.

I will be at Scott F's (Belltown Vintage Cards) table plan on 'certifying' photographs and related if anyone's interested. I went so far as buying a personalized embossment stamper just for the National. My first goal is to make back the money I paid for the stamper. I figure if I can do that, the sky's the limit.

Cleveland is a phenominal city, with a ton of grit & soul, David.

Spend an afternoon at the art mueseum -- it too is among the best in the world.

The crowd whining about begrudgingly going back to CLE probably didnt leave the 5-mi radius around the I-X center.

Its a fantastic city on many, many levels.

Can't wait to head up 71 in a few weeks!

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 07-13-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Minneapolis, Duluth and Marquette Michigan make my list of favorite cities I've visited, so I have no predilection against Midwestern cities.

Last edited by drcy; 07-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Fred

I'm about 50/50 - do I go to Hawaii (work scheduled at that time) or do I go to Cleveland? I'm actually a little conflicted here...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post
Cleveland is a phenominal city, with a ton of grit & soul, David.

Spend an afternoon at the art mueseum -- it too is among the best in the world.

The crowd whining about begrudgingly going back to CLE probably didnt leave the 5-mi radius around the I-X center.

Its a fantastic city on many, many levels.

Can't wait to head up 71 in a few weeks!
My family is from Sharon PA so I have been to Cleveland numerous times. It's not Seattle but I like it nonetheless. The Rock and Roll HOF is interesting if you have time on your hands. I thought this would be my first National because it's in Cleveland but my son is marrying in six weeks and then starts law school two weeks later. My wallet has been lighter than ever.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Minneapolis, Duluth and Marquette Michigan make my list of favorite cities I've visited, so I have no predilection against Midwestern cities.
Just to be clear - my remarks weren't at all directed at you, DRC.

I can get a little defensive of the city -- esp in lieu of some of the virtual eye-rolling from board-members about Cleveland as a suitable host for the N'tl.

I hope your "open-minded(ness)" is justly rewarded.
(Start with a pint of Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster", & its all downhill from there)

Too, hope you (and all n54 members trekking to Cleveland) have a great National !!

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 07-13-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Default The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I've posted in the past that the day, usually the Friday, I get to go to the National is like Christmas morning to me as a kid. I can't wait for it to get here, I count down the days, I can't sleep the night before, etc. My National day is one of my favorite days of the year. Once again, Jeff and I will be attending and look forward to seeing anyone we know from our Net 54 community. I look forward to putting names with faces again and look forward to relearning some whom I forgotten names. ( I suck at remembering names!, sorry) Bummed, but understand about no 54 Dinner this year, and bummed we won't get to hang out with the boys from Michigan (hi Andy, Bill, and Matt) since they are not going to be there on Friday when we attend and bummed to hear many might not attend (hi Mike, how's your Coupon collecting going?)
But I'm really looking forward to this year in hopes that it will inspire my next collecting passion. Ever since I completed the E98 Master Set, I haven't been into collecting much. Hopefully I will get excited over something new to collect! Look forward to seeing everybody.
Have a safe trip everyone!
Oh, The Christmas Story House is a great place to visit in Cleveland too.
Tim Kindler
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM

I'm one of the very few that actually enjoys when the National is in Cleveland. I actually prefer it over Chicago. Hotels, food, etc,... are all less expensive than Chicago. It is very easy to get around in the city by car or the subway train. There are a lot more tourists attractions than people think and the city has a lot of really nice restaurants, bars, and clubs.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 07-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Default I prefer Cleveland as well.

Alan,
I couldn't agree with you more! Going to Cleveland is a very relaxing trip compared to Chicago for me at least. I love yhe National when it is in Cleveland. Look forward to meeting you and others again this year.
Tim Kindler