NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: How many days should an auction house wait to ship items after payment has cleared?
1 day 53 31.74%
2 days 51 30.54%
3-5 days 43 25.75%
6 days to 10 days 17 10.18%
11 days to 14 days 2 1.20%
15 days to 21 days 0 0%
22-30 days 0 0%
31+ days 1 0.60%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Auction House Shipping

How many days do you think it is reasonable for an auction house to wait before shipping your winnings (of course after payment is made)?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default poll

Hey Jeff
I added a poll for you. Could be more interesting that way. Hope you don't mind? I already voted .
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Jeff
I added a poll for you. Could be more interesting that way. Hope you don't mind? I already voted .
Not at all, thanks Leon.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Jason Wells

I think 2 days is fair enough.Albeit you did not take long to pay.So maybe I should say about the same amount of time it takes you pay.I would not expect a day or two turnaround if I took the two weeks to pay.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Pete Sycks

I love the quick shipping by Goodwin, Legendary, Sterling. I'm hoping CSA will be fast, but they assured me they wait an entire 2 weeks to ship the items, which is way too long. It only takes 3-5 days max for a check to clear.

Last edited by sycks22; 10-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Not Ready

I am not ready to out the Auction House that I am annoyed at yet, but it will be a week tomorrow since I paid by paypal. The shipping always seems to be pretty high and they always include a charge for insurance which never is reflected on my packages. I know that they can be using a different service for insurance, but I doubt it. I want to check tomorrow on the status of my package.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

With their excessive Buyers premiums and excessive shipping costs, they should have the staff to ship within 24 hours of "cleared" payment.

I will admit I had an outstanding experience with Legendary who actually shipped my items the same day they received payment!! They didnt even wait for payment to clear! Kudos to Legendary!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Dave

Isn't Legendary the same outfit that shipped 100's of thousands of $'s of memorabilia to a regular bidder before getting fully paid, sued them to recoup, got counter-sued, had consignment payments held up, and nearly going out of business because of it (in a previous incarnation)?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheT206Fiend View Post
I think 2 days is fair enough.Albeit you did not take long to pay.So maybe I should say about the same amount of time it takes you pay.I would not expect a day or two turnaround if I took the two weeks to pay.
Can't necessarily agree with "the same amount of time that ti takes you to pay", unless of course they are looking at postmarks.

Reason: If the auction house doesn't accept credit cards (presumably to maximize their $) then even if I send a check out the following morning, it takes a few days to a week for them to get it. That's their choice. Now, if they are going to wait for the check to clear also . . . just poor customer service, in my opinion.

While they are awaiting the arrival of checks, there is very little reason that everything can't be packed up and ready to go, so at that point it probably shouldn't take more than a day or two to ship.

For the poll, if it takes them more than a day to ship after payment has "cleared" then something is wrong.

Last edited by timzcardz; 10-10-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Added: "For the poll . . . " sentence.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Some houses, like Mastro/Legendary, claim that it takes 14 days for a check to clear -- and only then do they ship.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Auction House Shipping

All sellers should have the right to wait until the funds have cleared before shipping. Problem is, different types of payments take varying times to clear and most financial institutions do not report when an item has cleared; only when it didn't. Hence the long wait times from some auction houses.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Ed, in today's day and age, banks clear checks in a matter of hours or maybe a couple days. When you access your account online it is made very clear what has and what has not cleared. There is not a bank in the country which takes 14 days to clear a check unless if it's perhaps a foreign check.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Ed, in today's day and age, banks clear checks in a matter of hours or maybe a couple days. When you access your account online it is made very clear what has and what has not cleared. There is not a bank in the country which takes 14 days to clear a check unless if it's perhaps a foreign check.
You can see if your check has cleared your account, but you can not see if someone else's check has cleared their account unless you have access to their account. If I deposit a check today it will usually show as part of my available account balance immediately, but that does not mean that the check has cleared the account of the person who wrote the check. According to the manager at my bank, that process can take several days and Ed is correct in that you are not notified when a check has cleared, only when it doesn't.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I can't see how anyone can expect it to go out in 1-2 days if it's the first few days from the auction end when many payments are coming in at once. Either you have hired too many employees to cover the excess, increasing overhead, or you are hiring temps that need to be watched.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

So the banks make it so easy to commit check kiting? You can send me a check for 500K, it clears my bank in a day or two -- without clearing the sender's bank -- then I immediately remove the 500K funds, and then the check is revealed as bad and I walk away with 500K? Wow, didn't realize that in 2011 banks make it that easy to steal.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I personally like Legendary's policy, which may be shared by a few other auction houses also. They say that the first 3 wins, they will take the full 2 weeks for the check to clear. However, any wins after that, they will ship immediately to you upon receipt of your check. I assume that this is within reason, e.g., if you have 3 small wins, but then have a 10K win, they'll probably still wait for your check to fully clear. If you want your wins immediately, you should send a money order or bank cashier's check (or paypal if the auction allows it). For those, I think the auction house should ship immediately. Cashier's checks often have a few, but you may want to check w/ your bank. My bank (Chase) has free cashier's checks because I have a premium checking account w/ them, which is also free since Chase also holds my mortgage. If you have winnings from one of the smaller auction houses, shipping can take a bit of time even if you paid via Paypal. A lot of these don't have a dedicated shipping department, and it might only be one person doing all of the shipping. Therefore, if a bunch of people paid by paypal immediately after auction close, the person is going to be overwhelmed. This happened to me before, which is fully understandable.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Steven Finley

I voted for 3-5 days, as that seems reasonable. I have no prior auction house experience, but I would assume that the largest majority of winning customers pay electronically or by mail within the first two days following the auction. Considering the size of the auction I don't find it unreasonable for the house to take a couple of days to double check winnings, combine won items, package securely, and ship out.

That being said, our hobby is one of wants not necessities. So if waiting two weeks to receive my auction winnings is the largest annoyance I have in a month, I can consider that a good month.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Barry Sloate

Wasn't the survey question how long an auction house should wait to ship after a check has cleared? Once it clears, the orders should be sent ASAP.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
So the banks make it so easy to commit check kiting? You can send me a check for 500K, it clears my bank in a day or two -- without clearing the sender's bank -- then I immediately remove the 500K funds, and then the check is revealed as bad and I walk away with 500K? Wow, didn't realize that in 2011 banks make it that easy to steal.
Banks put a hold on checks at a certain amount.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Auction House Shipping

Jeff,
GemMintAuctions and vintagechris are correct. The funds appear in your account as available within a day or two, but they often haven't cleared the payer's bank by then. They will freeze some larger transactions depending on the history and size of your account. The point was that while most domestic checks do clear in a day or two as you correctly stated, certain types of accounts and checks drawn on off-shore banks can take significantly longer.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I may be cynical after dealing with impatient eBay buyers for so long, but I think anyone demanding same-day shipping service should first have to assemble and pack a hundred or more orders in a day themselves. Keep in mind that in most cases, you're not talking about all individual slabbed cards that you can just toss in a mailer and slap a label on it and you're done. These guys typically have to deal with all different shapes and sizes of items which may be combined in any kind of unpredictable manner depending on who bid on what.

Frankly, I'm surprised by how fast they get my stuff to me as it is, especially when some of these auctions have 1000+ lots in them. My personal philosophy is "get it to me when you can, just pack it well and don't lose it." I would actually expect it to take longer to turn around if I get my payment in quickly since it's going to hit at the same time as who knows how many other buyers', as opposed to those straggling payments that come in after everybody else's stuff has already shipped out.

Without knowing for sure which auction house the OP is referring to, I would point out that most of them give an estimated shipping time from when your payment clears. If they're still within their stated timeframe, I don't think you have any room to complain since you agreed to that when you bid in the auction. You might suggest to them ways they can improve their service, but you can't expect them to tailor their business to the wishes of every individual customer. If you can't wait a couple more days for your cardboard, then don't bid with them.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Dave

I feel auction houses should invest in a time wormhole in order to get me my auction winnings the day before I even bid on the item.

Buyers Premiums, Inflated Shipping.............God knows they have the dollars to invest in such technology.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
All sellers should have the right to wait until the funds have cleared before shipping. Problem is, different types of payments take varying times to clear and most financial institutions do not report when an item has cleared; only when it didn't. Hence the long wait times from some auction houses.
I've been out of the auction house game for a while now, so I'm also curious what's reasonable. I went to the trouble of buying a cashier's check and mailing it priority to the auction house. They received it last Thursday and are apparently sitting on it - they have a very fancy software system that shows they have been paid, but that they haven't shipped. What's up with sitting on cashier's checks? I look at it this way - I hold up my end by paying promptly and in a manner that's risk-free to them, despite the massive shipping charges - they should ship promptly. I'm not even complaining about the Fedex ground that I will end up having to drive an hour to pick up at the Fedex office.

I also won a smaller lot from the same auction house previously and paid by Paypal. Nine days later they finally shipped.

I always paid Mastro by check and the items were always shipped promptly - same for Hunts, Lelands, the Burkes, Lipset, etc. Not sure what's up with these other guys, but it's nice to have plenty of additional choices.

Edited to add something positive, since it's almost Thanksgiving: I miss the experiences like the one that I had with Leland's back when the Astros were a playoff contender. I won a gorgeous Wilson 1971 Astros jacket and wanted to be able to wear it to the game - I called Lelands and they made sure it was shipped immediately. I had it in plenty of time and I've never forgotten that. Good service goes a long way. I'm looking forward to sporting that same jacket in 2013 when the Astros begin visiting Seattle regularly

Last edited by Runscott; 11-23-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Scott, would it make you feel any differently about the auction house that shipped promptly if you found out someone's dog was an underbidder on your lot?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott, would it make you feel any differently about the auction house that shipped promptly if you found out someone's dog was an underbidder on your lot?
Jeff, I'm grateful that you and others are helping protect us from fraud. Really - thanks. If I can help in any way I will (as I have in the past), but as you can see, I don't currently pull enough weight to even get prompt shipping.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Ahhhh see that's where you're wrong. I get slow shipping too. Paypal? Slow shipping. Wired funds? Slow shipping.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ahhhh see that's where you're wrong. I get slow shipping too. Paypal? Slow shipping. Wired funds? Slow shipping.
Okay, thanks. It was probably always slow for me as well and I've just forgotten over the years. In the future I'll just send personal checks and forget about it.

Have a good Thanksgiving. Time to go start preparing the traditional Thanksgiving meatloaves.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
A Shilltie?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheltie.jpg (66.6 KB, 220 views)

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks
Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well played, sir.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Default Legendary Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
With their excessive Buyers premiums and excessive shipping costs, they should have the staff to ship within 24 hours of "cleared" payment.

I will admit I had an outstanding experience with Legendary who actually shipped my items the same day they received payment!! They didnt even wait for payment to clear! Kudos to Legendary!
I will second that notion Jim. Legendary has always provided me with super fast shipping.

Joe
Old 11-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Zach

Deleted by me

Last edited by zljones; 11-26-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Val Kehl

Zach - I don't believe that many, if any, of the major auction houses use the USPS for their shipments to auction winners.
Val
Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Zach

Oh, I have not bought from an auction house yet, I just thought they would use USPS, now I have no explanation for 30 days shipping.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Doug Allen

Default Shipping Policy

We ship immediately to those we have experience with (our definition is three successful wins and payments) until that time we feel it is responsible identify a pre determined amount of time to allow checks to clear. For the first few wins buyers are welcome to send certified funds if they want immediate shipment. Although we do not guarantee 24 hour turnaround I do believe we have consistently gotten packages out within one working day. I agree in this day an age it does not take 14 days for electronic banking to clear a check but sometimes it takes a bit of time to be notified.

By the way thanks for all who participated in our auction.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen View Post
We ship immediately to those we have experience with (our definition is three successful wins and payments) until that time we feel it is responsible identify a pre determined amount of time to allow checks to clear. For the first few wins buyers are welcome to send certified funds if they want immediate shipment. Although we do not guarantee 24 hour turnaround I do believe we have consistently gotten packages out within one working day. I agree in this day an age it does not take 14 days for electronic banking to clear a check but sometimes it takes a bit of time to be notified.

By the way thanks for all who participated in our auction.
I still have yet to participate in anything besides ebay yet, so I was wondering what are the accepted methods of payment? Paypal, Credit or Debit?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Zach

B.T.W the post I made a few days ago was done after I had had a few too many drinks, so I kinda got carried away and said too much crap. I apologize to anyone that did not like it. I am also hoping to get involved in some auction house auctions soon once I see something I like. I signed up for few but have not bid yet.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Doug Allen

Default Payment method

We accept personal checks, money orders and wire transfers. No Paypal or credit cards.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen View Post
We accept personal checks, money orders and wire transfers. No Paypal or credit cards.
Ok thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I may be cynical after dealing with impatient eBay buyers for so long, but I think anyone demanding same-day shipping service should first have to assemble and pack a hundred or more orders in a day themselves. Keep in mind that in most cases, you're not talking about all individual slabbed cards that you can just toss in a mailer and slap a label on it and you're done. These guys typically have to deal with all different shapes and sizes of items which may be combined in any kind of unpredictable manner depending on who bid on what.

Frankly, I'm surprised by how fast they get my stuff to me as it is, especially when some of these auctions have 1000+ lots in them. My personal philosophy is "get it to me when you can, just pack it well and don't lose it." I would actually expect it to take longer to turn around if I get my payment in quickly since it's going to hit at the same time as who knows how many other buyers', as opposed to those straggling payments that come in after everybody else's stuff has already shipped out.

Without knowing for sure which auction house the OP is referring to, I would point out that most of them give an estimated shipping time from when your payment clears. If they're still within their stated timeframe, I don't think you have any room to complain since you agreed to that when you bid in the auction. You might suggest to them ways they can improve their service, but you can't expect them to tailor their business to the wishes of every individual customer. If you can't wait a couple more days for your cardboard, then don't bid with them.
As usual, Lance is absolutely spot-on.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
As usual, Lance is absolutely spot-on.
I don't think so. He ends his rebuttal with " If you can't wait a couple more days for your cardboard, then don't bid with them."

A couple more days after 'what'? My guess is that I'm currently waiting for all the dealer wins to get processed. I know this was true in the past, as I would send in a cashier's check immediately, then while waiting to even get a notice of shipment, would see items won by others show up on ebay. This isn't a good way to do business, and with all the options available, it's not something that is forgotten.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Frank Wakefield

One day.

An auction house would already have a winner's address information, so they can easily get a package ready for shipment... so ONE DAY after payment has cleared.

If it takes longer than that, then they have too much going on with too little help, or they've allowed a bidder to bid whom they mistrust...

As for the places that wait 14 days, pay them with a cashiers check or a certified check. Then, if they don't ship in one day, quit participating in their auctions. In this day and time 14 days is inexcusable.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Interesting thing about checks is they never total clear. You can take your check to the bank 2 months after "clearing" and say I did not write this check. The bank will hit the other bank for the funds and you have your money back.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Interesting thing about checks is they never total clear. You can take your check to the bank 2 months after "clearing" and say I did not write this check. The bank will hit the other bank for the funds and you have your money back.
However, at this point you are talking to their fraud prevention dept. and that is a whole different issue.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't think so. He ends his rebuttal with " If you can't wait a couple more days for your cardboard, then don't bid with them."

A couple more days after 'what'? My guess is that I'm currently waiting for all the dealer wins to get processed. I know this was true in the past, as I would send in a cashier's check immediately, then while waiting to even get a notice of shipment, would see items won by others show up on ebay. This isn't a good way to do business, and with all the options available, it's not something that is forgotten.
I stand corrected Scott. Correction: Lance is absolutely spot-on except for the line he ends his rebuttal with, as Scott so precisely pointed out.

You know what... the hell with it. I take that back. In my opinion, I agree with what Lance wrote, up to and including the line he ends his rebuttal with.

BTW... I really don't think it's necessary to add "IMO" or "IMHO" every time I make a comment. The comment is mine and mine alone. No one is speaking for me (except for Lance, of course). It's my comment, so hence it's my opinion. Jeez.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I stand corrected Scott.
Okay, no need for that as everyone's welcome to their opinion, but thanks anyway.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
However, at this point you are talking to their fraud prevention dept. and that is a whole different issue.
I bet that's a department that responds quickly.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No that's not quite as easy as you make it sound.
At this point fraud and the police may be involved.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Payment

Since this is 2011, I can't understand why auction houses don't accept credit and debit cards and Paypal. 17% BP plus high shipping charges should cover the fees. Most businesses wouldn't survive using the old, outdated, time consuming payment methods. Who uses checks anymore? Send me an invoice by email and I will pay it within 5 minutes using PayPal or a debit card and my item can be shipped right away.

As far as not having the staff available to ship items right away. It seems pretty straight forward. Let's see, I'm going to have 1000 items closing on the same day, maybe I should have enough staff on hand to handle the workload. Isn't that why the shipping charges are so high in the first place? To handle the cost of shipping, supplies, and labor?

The other thing I don't understand is why auction houses allow so much time for the winners to pay for their items. In most cases shouldn't the check be in the mail within a day of receiving the invoice?

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Frank Wakefield

I think auction houses don't add services because they don't have to.... We allow them to get away with it by continuing to bid.

As for allowing winners time to pay... the auction folks want that 'one more bid' to add to their commission. And the bidder-whales make that one more bid, then mention reneging on all of their bids if pressured to promptly pay. I've actually had a reputable house admit as much to me once when I was awaiting payment for a sale. I think as a seller you can ask that the house promises to pay you within a certain number of days, or you can ask for an advance on the sale price. The houses don't want to do those things, but I've had them do the latter.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Since this is 2011, I can't understand why auction houses don't accept credit and debit cards and Paypal. 17% BP plus high shipping charges should cover the fees. Most businesses wouldn't survive using the old, outdated, time consuming payment methods. Who uses checks anymore? Send me an invoice by email and I will pay it within 5 minutes using PayPal or a debit card and my item can be shipped right away.

As far as not having the staff available to ship items right away. It seems pretty straight forward. Let's see, I'm going to have 1000 items closing on the same day, maybe I should have enough staff on hand to handle the workload. Isn't that why the shipping charges are so high in the first place? To handle the cost of shipping, supplies, and labor?

The other thing I don't understand is why auction houses allow so much time for the winners to pay for their items. In most cases shouldn't the check be in the mail within a day of receiving the invoice?

Rick
Heritage accepts credit cards.