NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default Who will be more popular 500 years from now: Babe Ruth or John Lennon?

Posted By: identify7

I dunno, but it seems to me that during the period of Ruth's primary reign there were others who vied for the public's attention. Certainly Hornsby put on a show which rivaled the Swat Sultan, and during the 1920 - 1930 period, the only six hitters to compile 250 or more hits in a season (well other than Ichiro) set their mark.

Now looking at Anson's managing achievements, innovations, and coupling that with his on field leadership in action and through direction; a reasonable rival to the throne of supreme entertainer is offered by Dan.

Was Ruth a better entertainer in his time than Anson was in his? How well do you know Anson's activities?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

if someone doesnt like a topic, does that mean you have to respond in a negative way ?....who cares if some dont like it , dont respond and talk about it...doesnt effect you.

Funny that there are posts replies still from those who do not like it ,why you reading on here then ????

Not everyone has the same mind-frame, so let whoever get off their chest whatever they want. I think shill bidding posts are boring ,I just wont comment.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Lennon was more popular than Jesus Christ......just ask him. Oh, right....they are both dead!

Son; fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Dan, you are right. Let's talk about chess - after all, I like chess, so that's what I want to talk about. Anyone who doesn't like it can go check out a chess discussion board where in all likelihood they are talking about vintage baseball cards.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

................never said I did not like it.

She loves you yeah yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Item search for Lennon on ebay results are 5122 items / Babe Ruth 2749 sorry babe.
Still looking for the elusive Jesus Christ rookie card.
Keep on keepen on!

Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

...and there are over 8500 Jeff Gordon items on eBay and he's not in the same league as the Bambino and JL.

DJ

Old 12-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Very good way to put it DJ, ebay does not make someone popular to the public eye.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

1) John Lennon was a pompous idiot who could write music well. Babe Ruth was a loveable person who could hit a baseball well and pitch some too. Ruth all the way.

2) Mike - Jesus Christ is not dead.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

will sell in the year 2525 on a piece of stale pizza?

Barry- this is for you~

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARTIN-ROSEWOOD-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-guild-strings_W0QQitemZ7373284697QQcategoryZ33031QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

click on "who is Danny Zager" then click again on "who is Danny Zager"

the n click on the song you'll know and watch him play it.........

John Lennon wins as music will always be around~

Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

There is a constant mention in this thread that baseball won't be around in 500 years. Does anyone know exactly when baseball will cease to exist? This may play a role into how I want collect for the future. Thank you. May want to change my focus and look to other avenues of collecting.

DJ

Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Andrew is correct that John Lennon was a very difficult person, but imagine how complicated your life would be if you actually were John Lennon. I think being too famous is a burden. George Harrison used to wonder what life would be like not being a Beatle, and admitted he didn't know. That much fame is both a blessing and a curse.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Zagar and Evans are waiting in the year 2525

Old 12-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Nice reference to the one hit wonder! It's on my mix with "Itchycoo Park".

DJ

Old 12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

Babe Ruth transcended baseball and was the most popular American in his time, not just a popular baseball player. John Lennon was a talented musician but was not even the most enduring name of his generation as the deeds of Martin Luther King will outlive the lyrics of Lennon and the Beatles in my opinion.

John Lennon was to the 1960's what Kurt Cobain was to the 1990's. Like it or not, it is the same thing. When my generation grows up a bit more and we control the wealth of this nation Kurt Cobain guitars and memorabilia will be as highly prized as John Lennon stuff is today. The Baby Boomers will probably disagree with me, but it is the same exact thing. Cobain will also loose his status as my generation dies off in 50 years, but the void will be filled with some other brilliant innovater who died too young.

Rhys

Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I am sure I am going to catch a lot of flak amongst Beatles lovers, but I look at it this way. Ruth was one of the greatest at his profession. John Lennon was an average guitarist, singer imo, (OK, he was a decent songwriter), so I give the edge to Ruth.

A better comparison would be Ruth vs. Hendrix (two of the greatest at their craft).

I admit I am a little biased as I always thought the Beatles were overrated.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

If John Lennon was alive today, he'd be just like Bob Dylan. An ignored, brilliant musician for his time and basically ignored in today's music scene. We overvalue those who perish young with the assumption that the potential is there. As a society, didn't we overvalue the likes of James Dean and Marilyn Monroe? My two cents, Beatle fan and Prewar hit it on the head and made some valid points regardless if this is a Baseball Forum or a Beatle Forum or a Lord Of The Rings Forum.

DJ

Old 12-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

People wont talk about Lennon in 50 yrs, let alone 500. Ask kids today who they recognize more of a icon Ruth or Lennon. If not for the media every year telling us his death, he would be just another Beatle. Dj and Zach like it or not Jeff Gordon is popular. NASCAR is huge and besides Dale Jr hes the man. I for one cant stand him. Oh yeah Babe gets my vote.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Administrator

I wasn't saying that Jeff Gordon wasn't popular just that it's not a good barometer to decide who is the most popular person in the world.

A quick search: LeBron James (3393), Muhammad Ali (1722), Sidney Crosby (2729), Tony Stewart (2538), George W. Bush (779), Michael Jordan (6893), Elvis Presley (13720), Garth Brooks (1107)....

DJ

Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

There were better singers than John Lennon and better guitarists, but he was a Beatle, and that trumps everything. When we are all dead and buried and 20th century pop culture is a thing of history, the Beatles will always be on the top of the list, and they will remain there unchallenged.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

Lenon and the Beatles are highly overrated. The only people who care about them are the people who were around when they were popular. Five years ago if you asked someone who is more popular, Britney Spears or the Beatles, Britney Spears would have been the answer.

His music will endure in the exact same way as say the Beach Boys' or Michael Jackson's music will endure. Nothing more, nothing less.

Babe Ruth IS baseball. As long as the game is still being played his name will still be mentioned.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Tommy James and the Shondell's ?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I am no fan of the Beatles, but there is no denying their impact on the music scene. 50 years from you will still hear a lot of Beatles songs being played on the oldies stations. I doubt seriously that you will being Britney Spears or other pop stars all that often.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

This thread will not die. We have started to repeat ourselves.

Ok, who will be more popular in 500 years....The Foo Fighters or Judy Johnson?

Kidding.

DJ

Old 12-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

How about DaVinci or Piccaso? My money is on DaVinci

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Davinci

DJ

Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I grew up with the Beatles and was fortunate to see them perform twice- in 1964 and 1966. I think those who are younger can not fully appreciate the impact they had on us all and how the world began to change as they evolved. If you feel the Beatles are overrated, chances are you weren't around when they were. And to say that five years ago Britney Spears was more popular than them is nothing more than a condemnation of today's popular culture, and how barren and superficial it really is.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PoorYorik

I think a lot of people believe Jim Morrison was a better artist than John Lennon. I believe his poetry is actually studied in some college courses. .

As for the Babe...Just ask kids now which of the two they know and you will get a good idea where that trend will continue. Kids weren't alive for either one of them and you already are getting a taste on who is 'remembered' when oneself was not even living then. Since most know Ruth, and most have no idea who Lennon is, it is quite evident on who's fame is being passed on by word of mouth(or by any other means). How many elementary schools have books about Babe Ruth? ALl of them. How about Lennon? Hardly.

As for baseball? If something like baseball isn't being played or remembered, then chances are that something has shattered society as we know it today, and I doubt cd's or John lennon would be on anybody's minds either.

Baseball has been around forever. Not in the form we know it, but in stick and ball games. Lets face it, its fun to whack things with a stick and watch them fly, and I doubt our evolution will change much in 500 years to take away that feeling. I also doubt that the inevitable "who can hit it further" will change either.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

One way to look at it is that Lennon and the Beatles are known for their music and all of it is documented and will be saved for generations to come. Ruth is known for his home runs and they unfortunately are lost to memory and one's imagination. Both are icons in their respective fields, and it's really hard to compare them and say who will be more famous. Do you love sports or do you love music?

Old 12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

A) The beatles were pop culture. Pop culture constantly evolves and unfortunately it evolved into Britney Spears and boy bands. None the less, that is what the beatles will be remembered for.

B) You are right, I wasn't around for them. And once everyone who was around for them is gone, so will the memories of the beatles.

One hundred years from now people will still be talking about the all time great Babe Ruth and the beatles will hardly be a thought.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Administrator

For the sake of this argument, the only way to truly judge one over the other is to have experienced both. To be around in the 1920-1930's and to be around in the 1960's. To say "The Beatles craze was amazing" and not being around when the Bambino was all the rage isn't fair. I'm in my thirties and the only "craze" I ever experienced was maybe Michael Jackson.

It's amazing how watered down talent is today as the Beatles, Elvis, Bob Dylan have been replaced by the likes of Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears and annoying Hip-Hop (the Ying Yang twins....). What do you expect? We make celebrities out of normal people for the sake of entertaining normal people in reality TV.

DJ

Old 12-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Buddy Holly will be still be remembered long after John Lennon
fades away. Simply because Buddy died suddenly at a very
young age, and we would never know what could have been.

Just like Lou Gehrig, John F. Kennedy, James Dean, Roberto
Clemente, Thurman Munson, and more who have been immortalized
due to their untimely deaths while still relatively young.

By 1980 Lennon's creativity had more or less come to an end.
In 1959 Holly's creativity in the music world looked like it had
no end. And then...."the Music Died"....if I might quote some
well-known artist.

I listen to a lot of "golden oldies" radio stations and I have
noticed recently, that Buddy Holly's music is out-playing the
Beatles songs. I am not sure what this indicates; but, it might
be a trend or just a phase. And, don't get me wrong, I've always
enjoyed the Beatles music.

And, as long as there are Fathers and Sons, Babe Ruth will
live forever in American folklore. Ruth will be remembered
a 1000 years from now when America enters the 4th Millenium.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I think Lennon wrote many of his best songs in 1980.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Have to disagree- the Beatles music will be played and cherished forever, and John Lennon will forever be an icon. They will just be looked at differently, once this generation is gone and they become historical figures instead of contemporary ones. Same with Dylan, Elvis, Babe, and others who transcended their times. Dylan lyrics will be studied in literature classes, Beatles in 20th century pop culture classes, etc. We live in a society that documents everything, and none of these figures will ever be forgotten. They will just be evaluated in a different light than they are today.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Barry

I fully appreciate your view of the Beatles sound, it was just
starting when you were entering your teens. Ten years before
in (1954), as I was entering my teens Bill Haley and the Comets
introduced the "Rock" sound to a larger part of the American
public with "Rock Around the Clock". This song was an instant
success as it was the theme song of the very popular movie....
"The Blackboard Jungle".

Then Elvis and the Platters and Buddy Holly, and too many to
mention here, brought us teenagers some really great sounds in
the '50s. The point I am trying to make is that everyone one of us
will be biased on this subject based upon what we first heard in
our young and impressionable youth.

It's like the very 1st BB cards that we collected are usually our
favorites since we seem to a clearer memory of them than our
subsequent cards.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Ted- I agree that we all have a special affinity for the music we grew up with. Nevertheless, in the pantheon of artists some have clearly made greater contributions than others. To put the Beatles and Platters on equal footing would be silly. I'm not talking about who you like better or who you remember as a kid, but who will have the greater impact on future generations. You might think that Johnny Lindell was a nicer guy than Barry Bonds or that you remember Lindell from when you were a kid, but it would be foolish to say Lindell will be remembered and Bonds will soon be forgotten (let's leave the steroid controversy out for the moment). Why is Walt Whitman still cherished more than a century after his death, and lesser poets forgotten? Because there was something intrinsic in his life and poetry that transcended its time. I believe the Beatles in their own way will be equally revered. The Platters- great voices, fond memories, but not in the same category, and not even close.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Barry

In no way am I comparing Tony Williams and The Platters with the Beatles.
However, it was the "Rock Sound" of the '50s that influenced the Beatles to
greatness. If I recall correctly, Roy Orbison was one of the greats they tried
to emulate. We could go on and on, on this subject, but I am afraid it will be
considered O/T. So, I will end my part of it here.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Absolutely true. John Lennon idolized Elvis and Gene Vincent and all those who came before him. Every artist has a muse who influenced him. And you don't even have to be a fan of the Beatles. But it would be shortsighted not to recognize the monumental impact they had in their heyday, and it would be foolish to think that one day they will be forgotten. You know what- even the Platters will never be forgotten. As long as their music is recorded and played on the radio, they have their place in history. By the way, the best oldies station in NYC was WCBS, and they changed it one day without warning and now play shlock rock they call "Jack" or some such name. I used to love that station. Anyway, sorry for getting so far off topic. Thanks Leon for allowing us this leeway on a quiet Sunday morning.