NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From my understanding each HA person bidding, and winning, has to pay all BP.
They have profit centers, ya' know. And yes, I guess it does help consignors. Bummer....
I have won plenty of items from HA since selling my collection. I am at a loss in thinking why anyone would expect a bargain at an auction. But it seems as though some feel they are entitled to them. Hey, I like a great bargain too, I just don't feel entitled to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
As others have mentioned I agree it seems inherently unfair to have the auction house competing against bidders that have to pay a 20% premium. I'm sure there are many lots on Heritage I could win and flip for a profit if they'd waive that premium for me.

But I do respect the fact that they disclose and defend the practice. At least it is well known, and does help to protect consignors against the risk of having a lot sell well below market value.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They have profit centers, ya' know. And yes, I guess it does help consignors. Bummer....
I have won plenty of items from HA since selling my collection. I am at a loss in thinking why anyone would expect a bargain at an auction. But it seems as though some feel they are entitled to them. Hey, I like a great bargain too, I just don't feel entitled to them.
The HOUSE does not pay BP, or if it does, it pays it to itself.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes they do. They forego the BP that the underbidder would have paid.

Not saying the practice is right, but they do indirectly pay the BP.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 10-15-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Yes they do. They forego the BP that the underbidder would have paid.

Not saying the practice or right, but they do indirectly pay the BP.
I see the point you and Corey are making about the economics. But I continue to think the concern about the house competing with its customers is a valid one from an optics viewpoint.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-15-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Bob Davies

It's more than just optics. Too much bad can go wrong. Some random thoughts that come to mind:
  • Joe average bidder has to add a 20% premium
  • HA employees have to add a 20% premium if they are bidding for their own collection
  • The AH can bid on the same item at a 20% discount, which reduces the corporations profit for shareholders
  • 20% profit for many business is a reasonably good markup on a wholesale price
  • There is no wholesale price, as there is no "cost of goods" to the AH
  • Using these rules, too many nefarious opportunities can exist for the auction house, such as:
    • Descriptions can be written to limit maximum bids, if the AH really wants to up the item
    • Descriptions can be written to limit maximum bids, if an employee collector really wants to up the item
    • Scans can be tweaked, the scanner glass not cleaned and leave a spot, or other games can be played with the item
    • No "purple sticker" (or type of equivalent) would be given to an item that may deserve one
    • Once the AH owns the item, improved descriptions can be written, or the item can be saved for, say, a "Platinum" type of auction.

I am in no way saying this happens at HA, but it certainly opens up too many possibilities for profiting at the consignor's expense at any AH.

Bottom line, if you are an AH, take the consignment, promote the sh*t out of it, and sell it to the highest bidder on the open market. That is your job. It is not to undermine a lot to resell it or undersell it when you don't own it.

This is my last comment on this issue, and I will not be taking any more questions.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default BP

When the auction house purchases an item, the auction house TEMPORARILY forgoes the BP, until they place it for sale again, and when it sells, they will regain the BP.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Chris did say he and the employees do pay the bp and sales tax.

I would imagine if employees are in the business of buying and selling, they could easily incorporate, fill out resale certificates and not have to pay sales tax.

The small costs of incorporating and maintaining a business could be far smaller than the sales tax Chris mentioned that he and the Heritage employees pay.

But when Heritage the company, buys an item, I would imagine they are not paying sales tax (because the item would be for resale), and if they are writing a check to Heritage or a BP, then the BP fee is a wash since they are writing the check to themselves.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
Chris did say he and the employees do pay the bp and sales tax.

I would imagine if employees are in the business of buying and selling, they could easily incorporate, fill out resale certificates and not have to pay sales tax.

The small costs of incorporating and maintaining a business could be far smaller than the sales tax Chris mentioned that he and the Heritage employees pay.

But when Heritage the company, buys an item, I would imagine they are not paying sales tax (because the item would be for resale), and if they are writing a check to Heritage or a BP, then the BP fee is a wash since they are writing the check to themselves.
Why would they have to incorporate?
I had a tax number for a while, no incorporation, and all I had to do was fill out a form online. Totally free except for the effort to track that I had exactly 0 in-state sales over 2-3 years.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I never said they're not entitled to make a profit, or that I expect a bargain from an AH. I still bid with Heritage despite this policy, as it sounds like many others around here do.

It actually makes sense to me, as the buyers in this hobby, and probably any hobby for that matter, tend to follow the auctions with the best stuff. When deciding where to consign, a policy that offers a bit of insurance against an item falling through the cracks and closing well below market value might be the deciding factor in where to send it.