NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2022, 02:07 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
scammers will price at $749 to avoid authentication
Hopefully, that would buyers suspicious and stay away.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:53 PM
Charles Jackson

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but one potential positive of this new authentication service is that it at least requires that an actual physical card is being sold in the first place. Some of the fraudulent ebay listings that have been posted on Net54 recently have been for cards that were not even in the possession of the scammer. For example: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313780

One has to think that at the very least, even if ebay is not great at detecting a fake, that these types of listings go away completely.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 02-01-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:59 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Hahaha. I love it. Grading is such a shit show that now we have 4th party graders. I've been saying it for years....slabs for your slabs are coming.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Hahaha. I love it. Grading is such a shit show that now we have 4th party graders. I've been saying it for years....slabs for your slabs are coming.
They already have stickers, that is just as silly as a slab for a slab.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:22 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
If I’m reading the policy right, since the seller doesn’t accept returns, if someone buys this Cobb, they are still stuck w the card. It gets sent to be authenticated, they say “yep it’s a fake. Here’s the fake card you bought that can’t be returned.” Did I miss something?
That's not correct.

Quote:
What if the item does not pass inspection?
If the authenticator cannot verify the item’s authenticity or if the item is not consistent with its listing, you will be issued a full refund to your original payment method.
That's from the FAQ on here:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...-tradingcards/

Last edited by Tabe; 02-01-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Eric Perry

I left a comment for a YouTube content creator; The Personal Finance Dad. I was pointing out the potential pitfalls of the eBay authentication service. To my amazement, eBay replied to my comment.

EDITED TO ADD: "...Authenticators will check to see if a card is altered..."

So, there we have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eBay-comment-cropped.jpg (17.7 KB, 421 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-01-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:03 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
If I’m reading the policy right, since the seller doesn’t accept returns, if someone buys this Cobb, they are still stuck w the card. It gets sent to be authenticated, they say “yep it’s a fake. Here’s the fake card you bought that can’t be returned.” Did I miss something?
If it fails authentication, the sale is automatically cancelled and the buyer gets their money back with the card returned to the seller.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
If it fails authentication, the sale is automatically cancelled and the buyer gets their money back with the card returned to the seller.
Thought I heard/read that eBay was destroying fakes...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 02-01-2022, 08:25 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Thought I heard/read that eBay was destroying fakes...
I heard this too but found it too crazy to believe.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-01-2022, 08:28 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
I left a comment for a YouTube content creator; The Personal Finance Dad. I was pointing out the potential pitfalls of the eBay authentication service. To my amazement, eBay replied to my comment.

So, there we have it.
I find it comical that eBay will quickly respond to that but won’t pick up a customer service line within 30 minutes.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:13 PM
Andrew

There must be some sort of a “trusted seller” exception - I’m seeing the same blue check mark with “Direct from Greg Morris” and “Direct from Dean’s Cards” on their listings.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:30 PM
Jim Todd

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
That's not correct.

That's from the FAQ on here:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...-tradingcards/
Old 02-01-2022, 10:59 PM
Greg C

3 of these in the mail already. Hope it works out for the better
Old 02-02-2022, 05:12 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
scammers will price at $749 to avoid authentication
Or $689.99 which will be less obvious

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37391285403...UAAOSwH8Bh-jtS
Old 02-02-2022, 12:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
There must be some sort of a “trusted seller” exception - I’m seeing the same blue check mark with “Direct from Greg Morris” and “Direct from Dean’s Cards” on their listings.
Well, that didn't take long. I bet there was some $$ involved in that special treatment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-02-2022, 01:12 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, that didn't take long. I bet there was some $$ involved in that special treatment.
Ya think?
Old 02-02-2022, 04:01 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
That honestly doesn't bother me. It's pretty obvious this new service was NOT put in place to protect buyers from being deceived by big sellers like Greg Morris and Dean's.

It's to stop the scammers. So having "trusted sellers" just prevents unnecessary headaches when buying from them.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:10 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
GM sells 30.000 cards a month on ebay. I am guessing they already get special treatment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2022, 07:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am sure this was probably brought up before but tonight is the first I have seen of this next to a listing..

Shop with confidence
Authenticity Guarantee
This item is verified by an authenticator before delivery. Free for a limited time. Final sale may apply.
Learn more

We knew it was always about money. It always is.

**it looks like this service is for raw cards valued over 750....for a tiny fee I can see that not being too bad. I don't need it but I could see it, if I have to...

Last edited by Leon; 02-07-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:21 PM
Kris Sweck@rd

The seller made it home from Hawaii. I received an email from eBay this evening stating the seller mailed the card to the authenticator and I would be notified “…as soon as the authenticator finishes their inspection.” So, the clock has officially begun.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:48 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

The card I purchased with this new authentication requirement reached the authentication service in about a week and was inspected in one day and now shows a new tracking # has been assigned so it should be in my possession in 4 days or less. The whole process is going to be about two weeks from date of purchase to delivery. Much better than I expected.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:26 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am sick at the turn this hobby has taken. It is no longer fun anymore.
You don't think it will be fun buying Mantle's and Ruth's from estate sale finds and grandpas attic all day for $750.00, hunting for a real one?

It's what you make of it, I guess. I still try to have fun with it even though it disgusts me most of the time. If I was you and having those imbeciles at PSA make you piss blood for a year and lose 1000's of dollars worth of your cards on top of it, I would not find that fun or funny.

Happy Hunting! and of course popping.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:28 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
The card I purchased with this new authentication requirement reached the authentication service in about a week and was inspected in one day and now shows a new tracking # has been assigned so it should be in my possession in 4 days or less. The whole process is going to be about two weeks from date of purchase to delivery. Much better than I expected.
Better time frame than a few nimrod sellers now. How will Comc do it?
Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Better time frame than a few nimrod sellers now. How will Comc do it?
Has comc ever sold a card for more than $750?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:32 AM
John Donovan

Well, I've been reading some posts on Blowout from some modern collectors that have received their "authenticated" cards already.

There are some alarming pictures of how the cards are being shipped in a pretty non-secure manner.

In particular there is a rare Griffey that supposedly sold for $30,000+ and it arrived partially hanging out of a card saver that had been elastic banded to a cardboard holder.

If that's real, it's pretty disappointing. Guess I better stick to buying any expensive cards already graded for now.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:12 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Well, I've been reading some posts on Blowout from some modern collectors that have received their "authenticated" cards already.

There are some alarming pictures of how the cards are being shipped in a pretty non-secure manner.

In particular there is a rare Griffey that supposedly sold for $30,000+ and it arrived partially hanging out of a card saver that had been elastic banded to a cardboard holder.

If that's real, it's pretty disappointing. Guess I better stick to buying any expensive cards already graded for now.
Who could have possibly predicted that this whole thing would be a disaster? It's not like ebay has a track record of making terrible decisions regarding this hobby or anything...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-09-2022, 12:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post

On forums we will hear about the few problems and never hear about the thousands of success stories that have already happened.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:20 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
On forums we will hear about the few problems and never hear about the thousands of success stories that have already happened.
Yes, that's true. Often times outliers get a lot of attention. Which is why I was hoping to keep a positive spin on this new service, because I think it can (and will) help clean up fraudulent listings on eBay.

But even one or two instances of negligent packaging could sway public opinion and doom the service. Certain things can't be helped (slow postal service, unexpected back log, etc.). But professional, secure packaging on a $30,000 item is something that should be a given.

Of course, anyone can post anything on a message board. It's possible it's not even true (maybe it's just a board eBay hater with nothing better to do). Also, who in the world buys a raw $30,000 card on eBay? That's a world I don't live in.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:22 PM
Justin Burleson

My experience with the new service. Bought this card on 1/30, shipped to authentication service on 1/31. Arrived at hub on 2/3, authenticated on 2/4, and in my hands on 2/7.

Card was presented in an ebay box with elastic straps. It was in a screwdown holder, which is how it was pictured in the original listing. It came in a bag, sealed with a tamper-evident seal, and a QR code that takes you to the listing.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2022, 01:55 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburl View Post
My experience with the new service. Bought this card on 1/30, shipped to authentication service on 1/31. Arrived at hub on 2/3, authenticated on 2/4, and in my hands on 2/7.

Card was presented in an ebay box with elastic straps. It was in a screwdown holder, which is how it was pictured in the original listing. It came in a bag, sealed with a tamper-evident seal, and a QR code that takes you to the listing.
Wait, so you mean someone on Blowhard was lying about their "$30k raw Griffey dangling from a piece of cardboard"? I'm shocked.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:21 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Wait, so you mean someone on Blowhard was lying about their "$30k raw Griffey dangling from a piece of cardboard"? I'm shocked.
It is like plane crashes. The press makes sure everyone hears about the plane that crashed and killed 250 people. However, not once do you hear them speak of the THOUSANDS of planes that landed safely that very same day, or any other day. I would guess the person on Blowhole is insignificant and wanted to get some attention by fanning the flames of mass hysteria.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-10-2022 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:30 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:

Isn't that actually a 1935 Diamond Stars Hank "Greenburg" (Greenberg) rather than a 1951 as ebay has indicated? Awesome card by the way. Been looking for one myself.

I guess ebay is just listing what the seller listed, which was 1951: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13400690492...p2047675.l2557
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greenburg.jpg (7.1 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 02-10-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:34 AM
Jeff Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Or $689.99 which will be less obvious

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37391285403...UAAOSwH8Bh-jtS
But they have been doing such a great job with sneakers.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:40 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Isn't that actually a 1935 Diamond Stars Hank "Greenburg" (Greenberg) rather than a 1951 as ebay has indicated?
Incorrect. It has been certified by eBay and CSG that it was printed in 1951.

Add: But that leads to an interesting question. Since it was described improperly, should they have returned it to the seller for a full refund of the buyer's purchase price?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 02-10-2022 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:19 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Incorrect. It has been certified by eBay and CSG that it was printed in 1951.

Add: But that leads to an interesting question. Since it was described improperly, should they have returned it to the seller for a full refund of the buyer's purchase price?

Sorry, but how does ebay/CSG know it was printed in 1951? It says the copyright is 1935 on the back of the card. Wasn't it just an incorrect description in the ebay listing that was then repeated during the Authentication process when they simply showed the original listing title?
Old 02-10-2022, 06:12 AM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Isn't that actually a 1935 Diamond Stars Hank "Greenburg" (Greenberg) rather than a 1951 as ebay has indicated? Awesome card by the way. Been looking for one myself.

I guess ebay is just listing what the seller listed, which was 1951: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13400690492...p2047675.l2557
That's just the listing title, which is why i was able to get it for a dedent price. It does raise some questions, but I'm just thankful I got the card!

Old 02-10-2022, 07:59 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:

Wow, that's actually pretty cool. Maybe I'll wait a bit to pass judgment on this new service.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:11 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
That's just the listing title, which is why i was able to get it for a dedent price. It does raise some questions, but I'm just thankful I got the card!
Yeah, nice find! So its not like ebay is authenticating the listing description, which was incorrect, they are just saying the card itself is authentic.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:13 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
You don't think it will be fun buying Mantle's and Ruth's from estate sale finds and grandpas attic all day for $750.00, hunting for a real one?

It's what you make of it, I guess. I still try to have fun with it even though it disgusts me most of the time. If I was you and having those imbeciles at PSA make you piss blood for a year and lose 1000's of dollars worth of your cards on top of it, I would not find that fun or funny.

Happy Hunting! and of course popping.
I'm skilled enough to tell a fake card from a picture. I know not everyone is like that.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:58 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Doesn't this really beg the question of what is it ebay is authenticating? If it doesn't, it should. Ebay is just mimicking what was in the title, so what did they actually "authenticate"? I get that mistakes happen, but this isn't even close.

Quote:

Old 02-10-2022, 10:13 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Sorry, but how does ebay/CSG know it was printed in 1951? It says the copyright is 1935 on the back of the card. Wasn't it just an incorrect description in the ebay listing that was then repeated during the Authentication process when they simply showed the original listing title?
Your sarcasm detector isn't working.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:33 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I just want to know where to apply for this job. Christ, eBay is stepping into authentication and soon grading services.

Member since 2009
Old 02-10-2022, 10:37 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Doesn't this really beg the question of what is it ebay is authenticating? If it doesn't, it should. Ebay is just mimicking what was in the title, so what did they actually "authenticate"? I get that mistakes happen, but this isn't even close.
Exactly. Did the "authenticator" even look at the card? If CSG is the authenticator, this is a terrible look for them, too.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Dave

I'm beyond annoyed that Ebay is doing this, but to be fair, I believe the spirit of the service is that they are authenticating that the card is actually what it is supposed to be. Pictures are there, we know what the card is SUPPOSED to be.

I don't think anybody wants Ebay/CSG to cancel the transaction and send the card back to the seller because there was a typo in the title/description.

Unless you want Ebay to start charging "research" fees like other "authentication" companies, I think they are fine to stick with the title given. No need to complicate things further. It doesn't add any value to the card, like a traditional TPG service would.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
From my perspective (as the person who bought the card), the authenticator didn't make a mistake. The person who listed the item title (which is the only thing that shows up on eBay) made an error. The "authenticator" verified that the card is, indeed, "authentic," meaning that it isn't a forgery. That's all I would expect out of the service, that I admittedly don't really want.

-Justin (Burl) Burleson
Old 02-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Eric Perry

The story nobody is discussing:

A card in a screwdown holder listed on eBay was actually authenitic.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 02-10-2022, 02:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It is an interesting (and odd) test case, with the seller saying it is from 1951. What happens if the seller instead said 1915 or 1885? The seller describes it as being 1951 four times, so it's questionable that it's a typo. It appears the seller may have really believed it is from 1951.

It appears the authenticator is identifying if the card is original or reprint, which is a reasonable and good service that I like. It also appears to be working under the assumption that "anyone who's a collector knows the Diamond Stars are from the 1930s, not the 1950s," which is largely but not entirely true. However, authentic means the item matches the description and "1951" is way off. Technically speaking, a reprint is authentic if it's described as a reprint.

It can be argued both ways, but I think authentication should correct such blatant description errors. A buyer may be a newbie who assumes that it's from 1951. It's also such an unusual, odd case that it may not be worth debating too much.

Last edited by drcy; 02-10-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Marcos

Default “…check to see if a card is altered”

Quote:

So, there we have it.
This response from eBay is very interesting — but I’d like further clarification/confirmation from the company regarding the authentication process. Does it really mean that, in addition to determining whether or not a raw card is an outright fake – the review process also determines whether the card has been trimmed, recolored, or in other ways doctored? If the process covers all of the above, then the concept might have wings.

Also, if the authentication service eventually drops down to include lesser value cards (see post #55 - interview with eBay’s Director of Trading Cards), I think it might be good news for the “raw card” segment of eBay buyers and sellers. Many collectors are not interested in slabbed cards. They just want to know that a raw eBay card – that they can’t hold and inspect – is not fake or doctored. For raw cards, it seems like this authentication review service would evoke more confidence in buyers – and stimulate more transactions for sellers.

I realize there are a lot of “ifs” involved here.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
From my perspective (as the person who bought the card), the authenticator didn't make a mistake. The person who listed the item title (which is the only thing that shows up on eBay) made an error. The "authenticator" verified that the card is, indeed, "authentic," meaning that it isn't a forgery. That's all I would expect out of the service, that I admittedly don't really want.

-Justin (Burl) Burleson
But then technically isn't the card "Not As Described" in the Ebay listing, and also not an authentic ""1951" Diamond Star card? I understand about a listing error/typo by the seller, but come on!!!!

And also, if you specifically bought the card raw so you could put it in a binder with the rest of set, how does that work with the screwdown holder and the guarantee seal/tape they put on the holder? So if you remove the card from the sealed holder the guarantee is gone? That really kind of sucks. But I guess for now it's no big deal as no one's paying for the authentication service..............yet!
Old 02-10-2022, 03:12 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

...if you remove the card from the sealed holder the guarantee is gone? That really kind of sucks...
As far as I know, removing the card from its sealed holder would void any guarantee it might have had before removal. It's analogous to cracking a PSA/SGC card out of its case.

I mostly agree with this stance; however, I'm hopeful they'll make exceptions for cards sent (still sealed, of course) to third party graders.

Perhaps a cottage industry will spring forth wherein a bulk submitter will examine the eBay seal - before inspecting the card for authenticity - before removing the seal - before submitting the card to PSA. (nothing could possibly go wrong with that, right?)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra