NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default O/T: Willie Davis dead

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_14640429?source=rss
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Barry Sloate

That's sad. Willie was a great ballplayer. I used to love to watch him play.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default very sad

I used to watch him too....very sad.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Chris Counts

As a kid growing up in Southern California in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Willie Davis was just about the best local player we could root for, along with the Angels' Jim Fregosi. I remember being thrilled to get a Willie Davis poster in the second pack of cards I ever opened in the spring of 1970. His stats don't look that impressive next to guys who played in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, but hitting in Dodger Stadium in the 60s was no small challenge. When Maury Wills broke the stolen base record, just about everyone acknowledged that Davis was faster. Rest in peace, Willie ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62wdavis.jpg (57.0 KB, 392 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Chuck Tapia

I used to watch him kick & throw balls all over the place @ Dodger Stadium! Just sold my Willie Davis ball I had signed a couple years ago,. Ouch, sorry Willie. I'm selling maury Wills next week. Good luck Maury
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Default Willie Davis

Loved Willie and the Dodgers as a young fan. Super fast and a cool guy. One of the strangest things I ever saw was Willie smoking a cigarette in the on-deck circle.
RIP Dude
Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Bob Pomilla

Remember Willie well. Saddens me, not a little.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I remember one time talking to Tony Gwynn and asked him who his favorite player was as a kid growing up & he told me that it was Willie Davis
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Willie was a local favorite. He would often show up at local games, Dodger Stadium, and card shows in and around Los Angeles. He was always nice to me and was a wonderful ballplayer. He will be missed.

Joshua
Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Davis

a great loss.
i loved watching him play and loved his baseball cards.

my deepest sympathy to family, friends, and fans

barry
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Kenny Cole

Had he played in a different era he would have had HOF credentials, at least according to Bill James. I grew up watching him too and I think Bill James is right. RIP.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Ed Hans

Default O/T: Willie Davis dead

My favorite player as a kid. Rest in peace, Willie.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Hoping Willie's family can be strong.

ps; Fuddjcal, Please don't ever sell my signature.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

My favorite piece of non-Indians memorabilia is a (cracked) bat that Willie used in the 1965 World Series.

The then-husband of a family friend was a photographer for one of the Pittsburgh papers, and he shot just about every World Series during the 1950s and '60s. His wife (our friend) ran film for him during the games. During one of the games in the '65 Series, she was waiting for her husband to finish a roll and Willie was at bat. He popped up, cracking his bat, and in disgust flung his bat. Apparently with extra gusto, because it rolled all the way over to where our friend was standing. She simply picked it up and placed it behind her. No one noticed, and she kept it for many years until giving it to me when I was in middle school back in the late 1970s.

Even though the bat doesn't have any of the World Series markings, the provenance is priceless to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willie.jpg (39.2 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 03-10-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

my heart goes out to the davis family. what i remember about willie is this,
boy could that guy run!!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Rich Klein

Default When I first saw this

My first thought was of the FB HOFer Willie Davis, who became big as the proverbial house upon completion of his career. I never thought the BB player would go first
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

My first World Series game. Game 2 1963. Top of the first. Wills singled and stole second. Gilliam singled. Willie Davis doubled scoring them both. The only two runs the Dodgers needed. Podres was sharp. Dodgers won 4-1. A sad day for a kid who was a Yankee fan but great memories. Thanks, Willie.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Kevin S.

I have always thought that the 1962 Bell Brand card of Davis is one best card pics ever...right up there with the 53 Reese IMHO.

Kevin Saucier
Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Clayton

RIP Willie
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Joe Jesselli

One of my favorite opposing players to watch ever. When I was a really little boy, I naively thought two things: 1. He and Tommy Davis were brothers. And 2. All great centerfielders were named "Willie". If he'd had some plate discipline he would've been a great hitter. Still, he was a very good hitter: not too many get 2500 hits. Then there was that short comeback after a few years away from the game. I love guys that do that.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Rip

My first memory of Willie was my dad cussing him out for three errors in one inning in the '66 World Series. I always thought that an outfielder making three errors in one inning was remarkable, so I suppose my recollection of him is less "happy" than most, but he always was an excellent player, and as my dad conceded, the Dodgers weren't going to win that Series anyway.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Chris Counts

"I have always thought that the 1962 Bell Brand card of Davis is one best card pics ever...right up there with the 53 Reese IMHO."

I agree, Kevin. The interesting thing about the '62 Bell Brand photo is that Willie wasn't much of a bunter. I can't recall how many times I read that something like, "If he ever learns to drag bunt, he'll win a batting title." And yet he of all players gets the best bunting photo ever ...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM

I saw him play towards the end of his career, but I remember he was still a very good hitter and can run even then. I read some quotes from players who played against him and Felipe Alou said "he was a nightmare when he got on the bases." He also mentioned a great story that one time he finally threw Willie out trying to stretch a single into a double...but then the scoreboard showed that he was credited with a double...Alou said he threw him out...but found out later that he was actually safe on 2nd and got tagged going past the bag....he was that fast...

Condolences to his family..its always sad when your childhood idols passes on...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Jeff

By the time the Redbirds got him the wheels were gone but I enjoyed watching him anyway. RIP Willie D.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm a bit young to have seen him play in his prime so sadly my main memory of Davis is when he made news for threatening his parents w/a samurai sword. Does anyone know if he ever exorcised his demons or how he spent the last ten or fifteen years?

Last edited by howard38; 03-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

For those who remember Willie Davis he was a good player but underrated. The early 60,s Dodgers seemed to be Willie and Maury Wills on base and Tommy Davis knocking them in and Drysdale and Koufax sealing the game. I can recall when he was on his downslide that the Expos traded for him and marketed their whole off season around him and he had a decent season but was definitely on his way down. He had a wierd career almost like Bill Buckner since he will probably be remembered for his 3 errors in one inning in Koufaxs last game in the 1966 WS than his overall play and his 3 Gold Gloves. CN
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Here's a great link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8UBQezEDc

The New York Times has the best obit on Davis so far, and if you notice, they print A BUNCH of corrections at the end... because... on a phony L.A. self-promotion level, the Dodgers put out BOGUS information on his career, saying that he was the all-time Dodger leader in many statistic departments. Problem was, THEY DON'T COUNT BROOKLYN!!! This "phenomenon" about the Dodger office pretending the bums, and the bum image, didn't exist is so prevalent in SoCal. Immediately Dodger fans in New York slammed the L.A. Times with facts and figures about Zack Wheat, etc. The L.A. Dodgers only promote L.A. Dodger history, not Dodger history, and this shit don't fly in New York, no fuckin' way. That said, it is also why that damn World Series DVD with all the Dodger Wold Series victories on it, from the World Series Films, lacks 1955! Ugh!

That said, I've looked at the L.A. Times and I can write better memories of Koufax than they have in there, this one I read is totally bogus, some kid who grew up in Garden Grove, whose parents were Angels fans, trying to talk Willie D. and almost having nothing to say.

The vid above has a GREAT interview with Willie about his Boyle Heights days, getting drafted right out of Roosevelt High, replacing Duke Snider and sweeping the Yanks. He doesn't talk about his personal best years, 1969-1971, when he was a golden glove and hit over .300 every year, though. But it is an unselfish interview.

I did notice one of the obits said he stole something like 44 bases in 1964. There is a video of Joe Torre talking about how Wills was faster from first to second, but if Davis was at first, and a ball was hit to the outfield, it was much tougher to catch Willie going from first to third. There is another thing about him tagging up from second base and scoring, and... how often in the minors he scored from first base on a single.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-Chidester View Post
Here's a great link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8UBQezEDc

The New York Times has the best obit on Davis so far, and if you notice, they print A BUNCH of corrections at the end... because... on a phony L.A. self-promotion level, the Dodgers put out BOGUS information on his career, saying that he was the all-time Dodger leader in many statistic departments. Problem was, THEY DON'T COUNT BROOKLYN!!! This "phenomenon" about the Dodger office pretending the bums, and the bum image, didn't exist is so prevalent in SoCal. Immediately Dodger fans in New York slammed the L.A. Times with facts and figures about Zack Wheat, etc. The L.A. Dodgers only promote L.A. Dodger history, not Dodger history, and this shit don't fly in New York, no fuckin' way. That said, it is also why that damn World Series DVD with all the Dodger Wold Series victories on it, from the World Series Films, lacks 1955! Ugh!

That said, I've looked at the L.A. Times and I can write better memories of Koufax than they have in there, this one I read is totally bogus, some kid who grew up in Garden Grove, whose parents were Angels fans, trying to talk Willie D. and almost having nothing to say.

The vid above has a GREAT interview with Willie about his Boyle Heights days, getting drafted right out of Roosevelt High, replacing Duke Snider and sweeping the Yanks. He doesn't talk about his personal best years, 1969-1971, when he was a golden glove and hit over .300 every year, though. But it is an unselfish interview.

I did notice one of the obits said he stole something like 44 bases in 1964. There is a video of Joe Torre talking about how Wills was faster from first to second, but if Davis was at first, and a ball was hit to the outfield, it was much tougher to catch Willie going from first to third. There is another thing about him tagging up from second base and scoring, and... how often in the minors he scored from first base on a single.
I wouldn't expect L.A. fans to care about Brooklyn history, completely different city and time. I can see why Brooklyn fans are a bit sensitive about it though. It's much the same situation here in Baltimore with the Colts and Indianapolis. Losing a franchise that you love kind of breeds an inferiority complex of sorts.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 03-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, one reason is that many of those early L.A. Dodgers players started out in Brooklyn, so if you are a fan of the actual players, Brooklyn counts. Also, the Dodgers franchise was the first to integrate black players. If you look at a team like the 1963 Dodgers, who swept the Yankees in the World Series that year, the style of play was a direct continuation of the Jackie Robinson integration. The Yankees had not made the same leap, and therefore, the Negro League style of play that was a part of the 1963 Dodgers lineup, plus the Drysdale/Koufax dominance, made them the better team by far.

No one ever sees the lineage of playing style from Robinson up through Wills/Davis/Davis, but it's there.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Besides, as a journalist, the story is beyond your own backyard.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=HRBAKER;789282]By the time the Redbirds got him the wheels were gone but I enjoyed watching him anyway. RIP Willie D.

When he came to the Redbirds in 75,I remember how as a 12 year old I thought with Lou Brock and him we couldn't lose. In the midwest he was kind of legendary in the pre ESPN days, I'd never seen him play. Turned out he was just about done.

Looking at his stats at www.baseball.reference.com

he was real close to the hall of fame. He's one of the all time "IF" players. He never hit 300 till they lowered the mound, then did it 3 years in a row. He played in a lousy hitters park and still got 2500 hits.

He'd have stolen twice the bases if Wills wasn't stealing all of them.