NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Default How does one go about finding a rare card?

Is it typically via formal,or informal channels? Are there people that know where supply is? Specifically, I would like to start looking for a 1933 Goudey Lajoie without the pressure to buy tomorrow, but also the possibility to buy when I find the right one.

I just have no idea where or how to start. Any advice?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Is it typically via formal,or informal channels? Are there people that know where supply is? Specifically, I would like to start looking for a 1933 Goudey Lajoie without the pressure to buy tomorrow, but also the possibility to buy when I find the right one.

You're at the right place, start a thread in the B/S/T
Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Mark Medlin

There have been several 33 lajoie's in the major auction houses of late. And by several I can think of 5. But that is the avenue I would look.

Mark
Old 07-04-2016, 02:16 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As mentioned, follow the major auctions and post in the B/S/T. Examples are auctioned with some regularity.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Michael

To find rare cards, look in the attic of some elder relative. That seems to be where most come from. There and estate sales.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
To find rare cards, look in the attic of some elder relative. That seems to be where most come from. There and estate sales.
At least that's what ebay taught me too.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Daryl

Old houses in Ohio.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Unattractive men get very attractive women by letting it be known that they have scads of money to throw their way. Maybe you could let it be known that you want a Lajoie in a certain grade range and that there is scads of money to be thrown the way of the owner and one/some will come your way.

David
Old 07-05-2016, 08:40 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post

You can also contact the auction houses. Sometimes they broker deals that never go to auction, because some sellers don't want to wait months for auctions. In short, just let it know you are looking and get the feelers out there to as many contacts in the hobby.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Al Richter

Default Rare

My problem is not necessarily finding rare cards I want or need, it is that everyone else seems to find them and need and want them too
Old 07-05-2016, 02:19 PM

The stories of uninterested or non-hobby people finding a rare card are rare. They get a lot of press sometimes but that doesn't mean much of anything. For everyone else it comes down to looking through tons of "junk" or other things before you can find something. I go to sales and shops and whatnot all the time and have seen my share of stuff I'm not interested in. You won't find anything if you don't look at everything. Unless you are SUPER lucky and something just falls into your lap.

I personally do not like to look for anything specific. I look for general things and take what I get. Sometimes its common stuff, sometimes its not. Most times I encounter genuinely rare items, they are obscure to the point where their rarity is not a guage of their value. What I mean is that the market for some things do not exist. They are literally rare but have no perceived value because no one collects that particular thing or knows that it exists.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Old houses in Ohio.
You read my mind, except you don't need the caveat of old. It could be a brand new house with a room set aside to make old cards, or any variation of that.

On another note, how sly of the OP to put his feelers out this way!!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Larry

Watch the major auctions, prepare a saved search on ebay, and follow PWCC!

Best of luck in your hunting,

Larry
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

On top of everything else that's been said...

Setting a Google alert sometimes helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-22-2016 at 11:30 PM.