NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default OT a little bit. American Beauty thinness....T42

In going through the small original collection, which will be in our next auction, there is a grouping of around a dozen T206 American Beauty baseball players. In addition to the baseball cards there are several hundred various non-sports cards. In the non-sports there are some T42s (T42- Bird Series white or gold border). Out of approximately 40 of them there was 1 American Beauty back. When handling them it is interesting how trimmed the borders are on the AB. This goes to continue to prove the narrowness of the AB packs themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg americanbeauty1 001.jpg (72.9 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-07-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
David M.

If I would have seen that bird card mixed in with the others, I would have figured someone trimmed it. Why were the American Beauty packages so much smaller?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default American Beauty T-type cards

AB cigarette packs containing T206 cards with AB backs were the standard size as the other T-brand packs.

Furthermore, T205 cards with AB backs are the standard size (2 5/8" x 1 7/16") as the T206 cards (except AB ones)..

So, the mystery remains as to why the AB - T206 cards were cut narrower than the other branded T206's, or T205's, or T207's.

TED Z
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

AB cigarette packs containing T206 cards with AB backs were the standard size as the other T-brand packs.

Furthermore, T205 cards with AB backs are the standard size (2 5/8" x 1 7/16") as the T206 cards (except AB ones)..

So, the mystery remains as to why the AB - T206 cards were cut narrower than the other branded T206's, or T205's, or T207's.

TED Z
I believe the AB pack I have is a later version and is narrower. Also, still a mystery why the T42 AB was cut down unless to fit in a pack? I dunno....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Default A slimmer, trimmer Beauty

Nice photo illustration of the American Beauty card in the pack Ted.

Were there other, slimmer AB packs? If so, maybe ATC decided that all AB cards should be cut slimmer so that they could fit either pack no matter what.

Just a thought...that Leon kinda gave a possible answer to while I was slumbering over the keyboard

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-07-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Beaten by Leon once again
Old 02-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Marvellous Mark

Same front with AB and Sovereign backs. Pretty severe trimming required to fit into an AB pack. Virtually all white and most of gold border removed.

T42 Ariel Toucan AB+Sov F+B.jpg
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Perhaps someone decided to add more cards to a sheet

If AB cards weren't cut thinner to fit in narrower packages perhaps the producers of American Beauty Cigarettes decided that wanted more cards per sheet. If the space between cards were decreased more cards could be fit on a sheet. Just a thought. The AB producers may have simply wanted a slightly different look for their product to differentiate it from all the other brands.

Patrick
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Ron Rice

Default AB Packs

Here's the skinnier pack I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0177.jpg (73.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

TED Z
The one AB T205 I have is narrow just like the T206s. I also have a few other T205 and T206s that are in the AB range side to side.

I've also seen a handful of ABs that were normally sized.

Steve B
Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Very thin indeed of all the ones I have…I even recently picked up an uncut two card panel. Perhaps this gives some insight into the printing and cutting process….

Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 AM

Here is my back run of T42's. Even though my AB looks like a bird used it to build a nest you can still it's much thinner than the other brands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I am wondering if the skinnier packs were intended for distribution to US Military personnel. I'm just speculating but do know when Topps had a contract to provide gum for field rations, they had to alter the normal size of the gum tab to meet government specs to fit in the ration kit. Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I am wondering if the skinnier packs were intended for distribution to US Military personnel. I'm just speculating but do know when Topps had a contract to provide gum for field rations, they had to alter the normal size of the gum tab to meet government specs to fit in the ration kit. Just a thought.
Now that is an interesting thought. And if I am not mistaking many, if not MOST, of the narrow packs are circa 1916!!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post

Could this be learned from contacting the military for purchase order records?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Could this be learned from contacting the military for purchase order records?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think your best bet is newspaper accounts or maybe old tobacco journals as a lot of trade information used to me published in them; I'm not sure what records would exist still although there is a lot of esoteric stuff on Google Books that is really just lists and lists of things which are sometimes on point. In my dealings with the military through my job I have not found them to freely provide information about anything to do with logistics, no matter how far in the past.

Last edited by toppcat; 02-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.