NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Sebastian

Default t206 collection starting

Whats going on guysI just started collected t206's, and its highly addicting, as of now i have ,eleven ,4 PB ,2 SC, 4 Pied and 1 OM , i know i can start my collection either way but am open to opinions, Backs?, teams? Portraits? or just grab what i can? thanks for reading ,Sebie
Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Jeff

Welcome! This place is top shelf, no sense going elsewhere.

I collect HoF "portraits" from a few different series. I am starting to grab others as well,from those sets/years. I enjoy each card for its one of a kind image/color/pose/background,etc..

I would buy what you like and can budget.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, Sebie.

Though you might change how you collect the set down the road, it's a good idea to narrow down your focus right now, or you may find yourself jumping around a lot, costing you money.

I happen to be collecting just the 520 (minus the big four) without backs being taken into consideration. I look for strong eye appeal more than anything. If and when I complete it, then I might branch out into working on some back runs, but the set itself is so expensive, and adding rare back combinations into the equation is cost prohibitive right now as there are other cards I want beyond the T206 set.

One common way of collecting is to work on the high dollar cards/Hall of Famers first. If you do this, and change your collecting goals at some point in the future, those cards will maintain their value, and could always be resold. It's also more likely they will go up in price more than your average common, so if you knock a Christy Matthewson dark cap out now, for instance, it will ultimately cost you less than if you bought the same card a year from now. I look at white border cards the same way I look at stocks. If a company has strong investment upside, it's better to buy it at IPO, or once it initially hits the secondary market, than a year after it's been on the market. Much better to spend a few hundred per share on Google than $1,000.

Most importantly, collect what you love. If you want to finish the set, and your favorite team is the Chicago Cubs, maybe work on them first. Having the entire Cubs team together to look at might motivate you more. Or, maybe save them to last. Make them the cherry on top of the sundae. Once you have all the other cards, then treat yourself to those Cubbies!

Just have fun with it, and share your collection with us as you go. And be sure to tell Frank what your monster number is. Being able to share your progress with other monster collectors will serve as motivation, too. Seeing that you're not the only warrior trying to slay the beast can only help you.

Good luck!!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-07-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Mike C@.v3

Welcome...and as was stated above...no need to go elsewhere, this is the place to be when it comes to cards and especially pre-war!

Some good advice so far and Bill made a very good point as 206's, especially HOF's, tough commons, SLer's and back variations seem to only be on the rise, so buying them now as opposed to later, could be a good idea. When I first started out a few years ago, I just bought anything and everything that I could...within my grade range that is. I, like many, have a budget and cannot chase all of the expensive cards, so I have a few, but most of mine are moderately priced cards with a splash of premiums added in.

IMO, I would just start collecting ones that appeal to you right away rather than trying to concentrate on anything too specific...this can sometimes make you wait rather than go after those that are just staring at you on the BST or eBay. I look for appeal and price for the most part. Most of us do not have the big bucks to spend on Cobb, Johnson and Mathewson, etc,. so we have to go after what we can. I've found this method works great for me and every once in a while I make sure that I get a HOF or a SL'er so I don't get too watered down with commons. But do what you like...maybe after buying some more, you will have a craving to bear down and collect HOF'ers first or your favorite team, etc,.

Just remember to have fun, learn and ask questions...a lot knowledge about this set! One more thing...I recommend "The T206 Collection" by Tom and Ellen Zappula. Such a great read and the information and pics are priceless...check it out on eBay if you are interested.

Good luck!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Default Sebie!

Welcome friend....you picked the right thing to collect....

snag anything you can at a decent price...

collect the rarities if you can and rare backs...

if you cant afford those, try the rarer backs or hofers...

email me anytime with questions

I collect the printer's scraps/freaks

peace

Johnny V
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Sebastian

This forum definetly feels like the place to be, initially i thought i would prey on backs, but Im from Detroit so collecting that set will be a goal of mine although one will be pretty hard to budget haha, I doubt it is anymore than any other teams but the Detroit players seem to have alot of portraits, which interest me a great deal.
but as of now im taking advice and buying what comes my way and is reasonably priced, other questions i have are about grading, is it worth it? most of these cards are 2 or below, should i expect my cardd worth to increase and offset price of grading? I've read PSA was the way to go, but i would like to know how you guys feel, and personal experiences, pros and cons?
Thanks,Sebie
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Welcome to the mountain--

There's lots of advice to be given, but as someone said, first: narrow your focus:
Do you want to collect graded or ungraded cards, or perhaps both?
Also, what grade are you looking for, and how are you going to display them?

Myself, I collect ungraded cards for several reasons: I like to be able to touch them; they can be less expensive; and I love being able to flip through my binder and easily view my collection. This last, to me, is a great pleasure.

You might want to look at a recent, similar thread that had plenty of great advice, as well.

Good luck on your quest.

Doug

Last edited by dougscats; 02-08-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Alex

Definitely get the "t206 players" book. I have been going at the set for some time now. My advice is to pick a subset like a team. It makes completing the set less overwhelming.

Alex
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Mark Hooks

Welcome aboard Sebie. I started the set about the same time you did last year and it has been a blast. There has been some sound advice given to you from some great guys. Here is my 2 cents:

-Decide what condition you want and stick to it. I am working on 3/4 condition that is centered and crease free. It is easy to deviate but I have pretty much stuck to my guns. You will pass on a lot of cards but you will be happier when you finish.

-There are a thousand ways you can collect the set by team, player, back. portrait, action, etc....... I don't think there is one way better than the other. It just depends on your personality. Personally, I just focus on the cards I find that I don't have and matches what I am looking for in condition.

-Graded/Raw - I collect both. If I go graded I try and go with SGC just because I believe they grade more accurately and LOVE 1000 times better the way they look in the case vs PSA. PSA will probably sell for a little more of a premium than SGC but I am OK with that.

-HOF's vs commons - Depends on your budget. I know I sound like a broken record, but I focus on what is available for sale at the time in the condition I am looking for.

-Just have fun with it. Set goals each year. I wanted to have at least 50 cards after 1 year. I finished the year with 53. One of the things I do to have fun with collecting this set is I track my project here. I started a thread on the main page called "My Quest to Conquer the Monster". Every time I pick up cards, I will scan and post. Just a way for me to share my collection with other collectors (seeing that my three girls at home could really care less....LOL)

Good luck with your "quest" and keep us updated on your progress.

Mark
Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Sebastian

I did pick up the T206 book as you guys recommended and it has helped and put it into focus the collection.
Also i printed a pdf by Scot A. Reader which has been invaluable to me so far , I will probably start a thread and post scans of my cards
Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Alex

Be patient and get cards you like. I have some cards in my collection that I look at and say WTF was I thinking when I bought that (because the card so badly damaged).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.