NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Default What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph?

is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?
Guys who died early are tougher to find autographs of, and the longer ago they lived, the rarer they tend to be. I'm not an autograph guy, but I understand that Addie Joss is very tough, with only a couple of autographs known. 19th century HOFers are going to be tough too, especially those who died young such as Kelly and Radbourn.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Jason Seidl

somewhere out there are a few items I signed as batboy and one ball I signed for a little girl in college! Now those would be rare! LOL
Old 10-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Barry Sloate

HOFer George Stacey Davis is extremely rare.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:18 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Not an autograph guy but King Kelly, Addie Joss, Rube Waddell, Ed Delahanty, Ross Youngs all would have to be at or near the top of the list in terms of difficult signatures to find an authentic example of - that doesn't factor in Negro league members, many of whom I am sure are almost impossible to find.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972

Last edited by the-illini; 10-25-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I think your question would be very tough to answer. I would suppose there are numerous guys that played ball that didn't get asked for their autograph all that often. I have a Charlie Deal card being authenticated right now, I wouldn't think there are many of those floating about. I also have a Claude Berry auto, again, I wouldn't expect to see many of those. I also posted a T4 Obak (well, part of one anyway) that has Doc Moskiman written on the front, I have asked around, but no one has anything to compare it to for me to see if he wrote it or not. So there could be a ton of guys that just didn't get asked or were not that great and their auto wasn't kept, and would therefore be rare.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Bry@n

Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Rare Autographs

In terms of rare autographs on baseball cards, I am aware of a Hugh Duffy signed N300 Mayo. I was the underbidder to an N54 board member a number of years ago. I can't imagine there's many of those floating around.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I always thought Rube Foster was tough. Addie Joss too although I am not an autograph guy.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.
That is the name that came to mind when I saw the title. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I think he's the biggest name who's almost impossible to find. I heard it was because he was illiterate and didn't want or really even know how to sign.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That is the name that came to mind when I saw the title. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I think he's the biggest name who's almost impossible to find. I heard it was because he was illiterate and didn't want or really even know how to sign.
Joss and Waddell....
Old 10-25-2017, 05:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of guys who played in the majors for whom there is not a single known example. Guys who played in the 1800's. Died in the 1800's. Played before 1920 in 10 games or less and died young.

If the OP could narrow the question down a bit in terms of HOF or by decade or whatever it would elicit more specific responses.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 10-25-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs?
Nope. They all signed for Coach's Corner.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Anthony B

I’m assuming the question would allude to well known, “popular” or HOF guys. The most expensive and hardest to find is a Josh Gibson. He too was illiterate and I am not sure there are more than 5 examples out there lol. He died at the age of 35 but the only examples are contracts from his career in Cuba.
3/20 Overlooked by Cooperstown 15%
17/86 Minors 19.77%
0/48 Southern Leaguers. 0%

PM if selling HOF RC's and Signed HOF RC's
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
On the same ball even.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Off topic but of interest:

"The three most valuable autographs in the world are Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare and Button Gwinnett. 'Button Gwinnett?,' you say. An obscure Representative from the US State of Georgia, Gwinnett signed the 1776 American Declaration of Independence. The complete 'set' of all 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence is the most coveted in the autograph hobby, and Gwinnett's is by far of the rarest of the signatures with only ten in private hands. The complete set-- which includes George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson-- is valued at around US$1.5-2 million, with Gwinnett's signature making up more than half the value."
Old 10-25-2017, 10:57 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

"The one of whom may not exist"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

Definitely Joe Jackson considering he was illiterate... Heritage had one on display at the National and it was incredible

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It’s amazing how many Joe Jackson autographs have popped up in the last five years. It’s almost as if Joe is still signing.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

"The three most valuable autographs in the world are Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare and Button Gwinnett. 'Button Gwinnett?,' you say. An obscure Representative from the US State of Georgia, Gwinnett signed the 1776 American Declaration of Independence. The complete 'set' of all 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence is the most coveted in the autograph hobby, and Gwinnett's is by far of the rarest of the signatures with only ten in private hands. The complete set-- which includes George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson-- is valued at around US$1.5-2 million, with Gwinnett's signature making up more than half the value."

............... darn ......... you beat me. I was going to ask if Button Gwinnett ever played baseball.

He was shot dead in duel on May 16, 1777 (thus only living well less than a year after signing Declaration of Independence). His adversary was Lachlan McIntosh. You can look up more if interested, but basically, they were long time military and political foes that didn't like each other to much.

Both have streets named after them in Savannah .

.............. carry on
Old 10-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
............... darn ......... you beat me. I was going to ask if Button Gwinnett ever played baseball.

He was shot dead in duel on May 16, 1777 (thus only living well less than a year after signing Declaration of Independence). His adversary was Lachlan McIntosh. You can look up more if interested, but basically, they were long time military and political foes that didn't like each other to much.

.............. carry on
His supply wouldn't even land him in the top 10 of Baseball Hofers. At least he will never be forgotten due to one of the most populous counties in Georgia being named for him.

Not counting those with no known signatures, thus being impossible, it would have to be Buck Ewing. The only known signature is on his will.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Are there any true specimens of Moses "Fleetwood" Walker known? If so, they must be few and far between.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Who is the toughest

Wow so many! I am an HOF autograph guy. Pardon the spelling errors but here you go....19th century and Negro league with a few exceptions will be where the buck stops. Delahanty, Cummings, Hulbert, Ewing, Kelly(King not George), Radbourne, and others Selee, McGinnity. Really any 19th century autograph has my utmost respect. Negro league Josh Gibson, and Rube Foster ....yet they are common compared to some near impossible signs.! Ross Youngs is rare yet he is common compared to Addie Joss! I have had all but 2 I just listed currently own 4 listed. Not fond of cuts but letters documents are great. Bottom line is they do not come around often maybe 1 or 2 Real a decade.....or less! If you are serious about collecting buckle up it can get very expensive! Fortunately I am at the point where I don’t see something I need ortruly desire often, so when I do I am well rested, and ready to play ! Good Luck i5 is a fun and Great hobby!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post

.............. carry on
I have read that Thomas Lynch Jr is the rarest of the DOI signers. Apparently there are less than 14 copies of his sig known, whereas there are 47 of Gwinnett.

But some of the rarest Baseball include Joss and Jose Mendez. Somewhere in Net54 is a Jim Stinson post about how he went to cuba to find a Mendez and apparently no one knows of one or something like that. I am sure there are others where no know example exists. Anyone ever heard of a Jim Creighton autograph?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyebo View Post
I have had all but 2 I just listed currently own 4 listed.
First, welcome to the boards! We have a few collectors here-myself included-that are going for them all with BB Hofers. The toughest I own are probably Thompson and Wilkinson. PS-we love pictures and hope you will share. The owner of the only verified Joss is on here and will post from time to time.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
First, welcome to the boards! We have a few collectors here-myself included-that are going for them all with BB Hofers. The toughest I own are probably Thompson and Wilkinson. PS-we love pictures and hope you will share. The owner of the only verified Joss is on here and will post from time to time.
You are very polite.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Good luck finding a Steve Dalkowski signed rookie. They exist of course but it took me FOREVER to track one down.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:19 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Some just this week!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Michael

would love to see Lipman Pike first Jewish player
Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
would love to see Lipman Pike first Jewish player
Is he the guy with the "autograph sale" that took place for big money and then the sale fell apart for a reason I do not remember?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Michael

Default Lipman Pike

here is his wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lip_Pike
Old 07-07-2018, 05:11 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

Just to be clear, General Washington did not sign the Declaration of Independence as he was busy with the Continental Army defending New York at the time. However, having thrown a silver dollar across the Potomac, he probably would have made a heck of a pitcher. He was a southpaw.

Last edited by bigtrain; 07-07-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Sean Sullivan

My dream signature would be Sockalexis...but I have only heard of two in very private collections.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:59 PM

Default 1912 Red Sox Autographs?

I have been searching everywhere but cannot find the following:

Jake Stahl
Heinie Wagner
Clyde Engle
Hick Cady
Jack Bushelman
Chester Thomas
Les Nunamaker
Olaf Hendricksen

Any leads would be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 PM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of guys who played in the majors for whom there is not a single known example. Guys who played in the 1800's. Died in the 1800's. Played before 1920 in 10 games or less and died young.

If the OP could narrow the question down a bit in terms of HOF or by decade or whatever it would elicit more specific responses.

Tom C
And ironically for some, only one. They are inexpensive on index/post cards. Often $5. I pick them up all the time, and most I can't find anywhere else (except in SABR).
So, need more context around what "rare" means.

Last edited by Case12; 07-29-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 PM
Mike Knight Jr

1955 Topps Harry Agganis!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1952...?ref=bookmarks
Mike Knight Jr
Old 07-30-2020, 06:06 PM
edward

How about James "Swat" McCabe, I've got a possible autograph but can't find any exemplars anywhere.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:59 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Among Negro League greats there are quite a few for whom there are no known examples. Kevin Keating, in his Negro League Autograph Guide has a section that lists a whole bunch of names. I believe over time a couple from the list may have been found, but there are certainly some major names from Negro League history that haven't been found yet.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 AM

Our hometown boy HOF'er Jake Beckley is a tough one. I think in 35 years I've seen 3 up for auction and they were all pencil cut return addresses.
Of course there was an autographed baseball on Ebay this year and people actually bid on it.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Curt

As some have said already, there are probably many lesser known players that only a team collector might covet. Those guys who maybe played 1 game, or played and died long before collecting autographs was popular or never signed anything for whatever reason. Without a strong demand for them though, who knows.

I'm sure that there are plenty of turn of the century Brooklyn players that I would never find if I tried to complete that run. I won't, because I don't have the patience, expertise or funds to do it, but I do enjoy the story of Clancy Smyres. I learned of him from this site. He appeared in 5 games for the 1944 Dodgers and lived to the ripe age of 86, dying in 2007, yet good luck finding his autograph.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Curt

I just started another thread yesterday asking about a specific card signed and if it existed. The player never played in the majors, but he did have a card. Dennis Daboll, who is 1 of 4 rookies on the 1965 Topps Dodgers rookie card. I would love to know of and especially see a signed copy of this card, if any exist.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:30 PM

If we are talking HOF'er's, Franklin Grant. Has to be, right?