NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Walter Johnson Back

Posted By: Matt

Walter Johnson's own T206 arrived today along with a nice letter of provenance from his grandson. While the value to me is entirely because it was his own card that he kept, the back of the card is intriguing as well.

WoJo pasted the card into his scrapbook before 1914 and it was torn out much more recently. On the back of the card, a newspaper article (seemingly from the other side of the scrapbook page) can be seen at the top and the majority of the back is covered by glued on paper (probably the scrapbook page). However, at the bottom of the card and up along the right edge, the clean back of the card can be seen with some thin glue residue.

As I've never owned a blank backed T206, I'm interested on some feedback whether or not the card could have originally been blank backed.

Here is a high res back scan; it sits in a PSA case:

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think it needs cracking out of whatever it is in, then it needs a good soaking to see what the back is. I'll bet $5 it isn't blank backed.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Matt:

Congrats on winning this one. I found it one of the more intriguing items offered recently. I would not soak it, myself. In addition to potentially compromising the card, I would much prefer to leave it as-is.

The fact that this is just how it came from the Johnson family, should be preserved IMO. As you state, there is great value in owning WoJo's personal example (exactly as it is).

Sorry I can't help with the "Blank back" answer... but bet there are more knowledgeable card guys who can help you in a pinch (unless they're all currently in Chicago...)

Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Crack it and soak it? No way I would do either one of those.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Frank - I would never soak it; it's a piece of history. I do appreciate that we may not know for certain unless I do. Why are you leaning towards it not being a blank-back? Do you think Johnson skinned it before he pasted it into the scrapbook?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd still crack and soak... I understand you won't.

The way to have collected it would have been still on Mr. Johnson's scrapbook page. Once it's off of that, seems that the thing to do is clean it up.

I'm just skeptical about blank backs. I am accepting of the idea that some are out there. I think it is more likely to have a typical back, and if it doesn't, to have been skinned a bit. Those 2 possibilities seem more likely to me than a custom printed blank back. That would be a lot of effort, especially when a branded back could be gleaned easily enough.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Maybe if you soak it you will see a Johnson Tobacco Brand back and have a one of a kind. I bet that would make the card worth a small fortune.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

WoJo? Fish? Bennifer?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Maybe it's a Blank Back Sample ATC sent him to show him what his card looked like.
That would be Sweet, as if it isn't already.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Mark, Jerry - thanks for the kind words.

Bobby - I'm pretty sure it's already one of a kind.