NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Lee

Are T206 prices ever going to go down again? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: peter ullman

no!

pete ullman

Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: James Gallo

I see it as a set that is affordable and mostly attainable. Therefore it is unlikely the prices will ever drop. IMO to be able to get a 1909 card for under $50 is a deal.

Whenever I see Good cards for around $20 I can't help but buy them. I think as more people find these sets perhaps because of all the new stuff like the Topps T-206 and the Allen and Ginter sets that they will only increase in value over time.

A great and classic set, much like that classic car, it will always be a classic and in high if not increasing demand.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Lee,
Probably not very much. Like any market, you will have some slowdowns at certain times of the year, but overall I see prices on vg/ex + continuing to rise. The set is very appealing, very popular and available in all grades for all collectors. Be well Brian

Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Most of my HOF's are 2's and 3's. What about the future value of these? Don't take it wrong, I collect the cards because I really like them. I just don't want a good chunk of money to go down the shoot!

Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Lee,
I wouldn't worry about the 3's, as they remain fairly solid. The 2's on the other hand are a little problematic. As long as you buy the card, and not the holder though, you should be fine. Most collectors don't like paper loss, and most don't like creases through the face, otherwise keep buying, you won't lose a lot of money and you will most likely make some.

Be well Brian

Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: warshawlaw

Unless you overpaid dramatically.

T206s is one of the most stable, demanded sets around. It isn't going anywhere unless the whole darn hobby falls thru the floor.

The nice thing about T206 is that there are enough cards out there that you can shop around for deals and if you are patient you can get most any card you want at a decent price. I've filled in several HOFer holes in my set at very good prices over the last year just by being patient and shopping around.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

This "being patient and shopping around" thing which everyone touts so highly seems a lot like when I look for cards relentlessly, always hoping that the price will be more favorable, but the few times that it is does not outweigh the enormity of times that it ain't - and the value of all the time and effort in a futile pursuit of something which mainly doesn't exist.

I have abandoned that tactic. Too often while I was a-serchin' for a bargain, the market was a-raisin' in value, so I lost ground at the cost of hours and wasted effort.

But I deal with nickel and dime stuff compared to many here. Perhaps if you are talking about three figure or greater items, it could pay off. Because it sure doesn't below that value (or most <$500 cards either).

Edited to add:
But really, I don't have experience in the t-206 nor goudey/playball marketplace.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Thanks for all the quick replies. Anyone elses opionions would be appreciated. Gil, I get the feeling that as I wait for a deal, the market may rise. Waiting is also a good idea because one neve knows what will come up! I deal in mostly low to mid grade T206 hall of famers (Graded 1-5), so it can get into three and four figures.

Lee

Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

The basic rule of thumb should be that buy what you can afford. Most people might disagree with me here but buying these cards as investments may not pan out because nobody really knows where the market's going to go. If you buy because you like it and it's part of your disposable income that you have allotted to the hobby then you really can't get hurt. Buying cards as part of a personal savings plan stinks because at some point in time you'll have to sell the cards for income. I don't know about most people but I like to hold on to what I have. I'm not going to win any prize for having the greatest collection of cards but at least I'll have something to make me smile in my declining health and old age (if I ever get that far).

Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

I don't know, Lee. I view t-206 much like Topps in the aspect that if you want to purchase a player, most have examples available at all times, and sometimes you can also select the grade which you prefer. As I mentioned, I have no experience in these types of markets. However, for cards which come up less frequently, passing on a few has sometimes resulted in a market increase wiping out any potential advantage which shopping could have created.

Certainly, the longer your shopping takes, the greater the potential for market changes.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

It would be hard to get rid of some cards I own, but most I could sell, no problem. I don't have to worry about the declining years yet I hope.....Anyway, when I sell cards, it is just to buy more/other cards. I have put some investment money in T206's, but I have not broke the bank. Cards are a gamble, but I feel that T206's are a safer gamble than most other sets.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

I agree regarding the blue chip nature of t-206. But I do not put any investment money into this hobby.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Thanks for the insight Gilbert, I know where you are coming from in you card buying strategy. Most buys I contemplate making combines your strategy of looking at future rises in price with how much I want the card!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

I look at it as any investment is a gamble, why not have a gamble you enjoy!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Jay

I have just posted a group of 35 in the BST thread, some with better backs.

Jay

Old 09-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Prices

Posted By: Anonymous

And all the more fun when you find a card that you wanted for a very nice price. I recently picked up an Evers Cubs (blue BG) for well under what I'd seen them selling for otherwise. Like I said, there are so many T206s that I still believe you can shop.

That said, obviously, if a rarer card comes up I will grab it if I can afford it. I've never once pulled the trigger on an item like that and been disappointed.