NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default November pickup thread

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Hey, I finally got something new worth posting so I thought I would start a November thread!

Had a great time at the Wilmington MA show today. Huge turnout. Some awesome pre-war stuff there and tons of cards. Made an ass of myself asking people if they were Net54 members in the dining area at 1:00 where everyone said we would meet up, but what the heck, I was happy as a quahog with this little beauty I picked up from my friend, Chris.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice score Greg! Is it a postcard or a photo?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Congrats Greg. That will look great in your collection.

These are not rare, but for $3.00 what the hey.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Greg-
I knew this would happen! I met Rawn Hill and Steve (I forgot his last name) in front of the food stand at 1:00. We looked around, shared our finds, and talked until about 1:45 and then separated. We never ventured into the dining area! As for me, the show was a success as I sold/traded what I brought and came home with a few goodies that I will post later. Plus, it was great to meet with Rawn, Steve, Marty, and Jimmy P, all forum perusers. Also, for the first time in years (if not ever) there will be a second show, this June or July, that should have most of the same dealers. So hopefully we can coordinate a better meetup next time.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Alan, I must have walked right by you guys. I got to the food area/dining spot/bar about five minutes past one. Asked about four or five guys who were standing around if they were you and Rawn and they all gave me was the hairy eyeball. Next time a photo would be a good idea. Either that or go over to Chris Smith's table. I usually spend half my time there either drooling or shooting the bull. He's a great guy.

Greg

Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I was at the Shriners show yesterday, Rawn and I drove down together. He was the first member I've met from any board, other than my wife. Helluva nice guy, we talked baseball so much we drove past our exit on the way down! I did meet one or two other members there, Steve (met at a table with Rawn) and another gentleman outside. I didn't get a name because I had to drop stuff off in my truck, I hope I didn't come across as rude. Two hours of lugging stuff was getting to me.

Anyway, I picked up a stadium seat from Milwaukee County stadium at the show. And a big thank you to Rawn for helping me lug this heavy seat from the show to my truck.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Nice score Steve. I saw that there.

Forgot all about this one I picked up yesterday as well. Even has Frazee's name in the Upper Left.
I'm assuming everyone knows the the "alleged" story on this.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Niles Crane told me all about it.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Clever addition Greg. I will be fun to explain it to guests of your room. Any Yankees collector should love that musical considering it was responsible for thier success in the 20s and 30s.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike!

There's always been some question as to whether that tale of selling Ruth to pay for this play was legitimate or not. The play actually didn't go into production until 1925, five years after Ruth was sold to the Yankees. Needless to say, it's still a neat little piece of folklore - like the infamous piano! - and it's kind of neat to see Frazee's name on the cover. It's just nice to be able to add something to the collection after a year and a half drought.

Have a great day.
Greg

Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Greg,

That is a great piece! I probably would have bought that if I had seen it too. It is the kind of piece that can fit into any Red Sox or Yankees collection.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Greg,

Nice pickups this weekend. Especially the "Nuf Ced" PC. Hope to make the GBSC next year and meet yourself and fellow board members.

Michael

Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

As far as I know, Frazee needed the money to pay off the loans he took when he bought the Sox. No, No, Nanette had nothing to do with the sale.

But, for your amusement, here's a letter from Frazee in which he mentions the infamous play:

PS Love the McGreevy PC, Greg!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Greg, fantastic pickup. I know it's been awhile since you've been able to add anything. It was well worth the wait.

Clint

Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I picked up the booklet scanned below at the Wilmington MA show. I really like the front cover ( the back shows tennis but there is nothing about baseball inside), although it is dated 1912 (which is why it was cheap). I picked up the reward of merit and the match box at a flea market today for a dollar each (I realize the stick/bat the child is holding was most likely never used for baseball or any similar sport, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up). Any idea how old the match box is? I was guessing 1930s, but I really have no clue.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Great stadium seat Steve. I can't believe that we were so into talking baseball that we drove past the exit. Just to let everyone on the board know, Steve officially has the greatest wife that I have ever heard of and I already asked, she doesn't have a sister.

Rawn

Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Great additions guys and thanks for the comments as well. We definitely have to get together at the next show. Or, depending on how local you guys are...anyone for a gathering at McGreevy's Third Base in Boston sometime then a trip over to the sports museum or to the BPL for a visit to the McGreevy collection? I've actually never seen it in person. Just an idea for the long winter months that will be upon us.

Greg

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Purchased this tray on ebay last night. Anybody seen one of these before?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I am ecstatic to have added these two items to my Orioles collection. One of the few Brooks Robinson minor league items known. Purchased directly from Brooks. 1956 San Antonio Missions cap.

and a 1963 Jim Palmer trophy for being the best baseball player at Scottsdale High School in Scottsdale, Arizona. This trophy was given just months before Palmer was drafted by the Orioles

James

Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Great Beantown stuff!

Two more for the album. Should be done with this set in just about 43 short years -give or take.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Wow James, that Robinson hat is the best thing I have seen in a while, congrats!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Picked up a few new pieces of equipment.
Nice 35" turn of the century bat with unique knob and in great shape.
[linked image]

And a new catchers mask.
[linked image]

Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Picked up this sheet music "Dream Of Heaven"(1899) with Philip Sousa's baseball team on the back. Funny thing is, I can only find the "Three Strikes Two-Step" as being published in 1902. I think maybe this is an advertisement for the coming issue? Anyway I have copied some info on the team and a reference showing that "Dream Of Heaven" is housed at the National Baseball Library...

"With its popular reputation and good wages, the Sousa Band was able to recruit some of the best musicians around.

For 39 years, this large group toured the country by train. A Sousa Band tour would last for many months, often with several performances each day and only a few days off for travel between cities. The band traveled to every corner of the United States and did several European tours and one world tour. Together they traveled more than 1 million miles, and they still managed to find the time for other fun.

The Sousa band had its own baseball team, and Sousa was often the pitcher. They played against local baseball teams and those of rival bands."

"Dream of Heaven - ? (1899) [NBL]" [NBL] = Included in the Sheet Music Collection at the National Baseball Library located at the Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY.

Any clue on value on this one?
Thanks

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Picked up this early 1940's Wichita State University football letter jacket last night. It's special to me since it's my alma mater and we don't have a football program anymore.

Clint
[linked image]

Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

Picked up a pair of extremely rare 1921 professional football programs from another collector. 1921 Buffalo vs. Akron Pros and 1921 Buffalo vs Cleveland Tigers. Jim Thorpe played for Cleveland in 1921 and he is in the starting lineup for Cleveland. Also found a scarce 1908 Cy Young postcard at a local postcard show this weekend.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Pat, that Cy Young postcard is awesome. Did you get a deal on it?

I picked up this 1920-30s Alamito Dairy (Omaha) photo off of ebay for $12...I got it a couple days ago and it looks great framed.

[linked image]

Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

Dan, I got a pretty good deal on it so I could not pass it up. I have only seen it a few times before.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Great Cy Young pc.

4-11-46 Acme Newspictures, Babe and Benson Ford... "Ruth signs as a consultant to the Ford Motor Co. in connection with it's participation in the American Legion Junior Baseball Program."

[linked image]

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I'm on a November roll....

Just snagged this Game one 1916 World Series photo on ebay for thirty bucks. Although it's not the greatest image, couldn't pass it up for that price.

[linked image]

Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Hart

I picked these up recently.
Matt

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Nice Matt... that's a gorgeous bat and a beautiful trophy! Looks like amazing condition on both!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Picked up this Spalding ad last week and framed it today. Spent less than $20 on the framing. $8 for the custom cut mat and $10 for the 14"x18" frame. Looks great.
[linked image]

Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Picked up this very interesting photo of an airplane with a Western League logo on it from the St Joseph, MO team.

Photobucket

also picked up another Omaha Cards program
Photobucket