NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-05-2016, 01:22 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Mini Milestone

I had to share this, as I was putting away the last stack of cards on my desk from recent mailings.

My version of the Topps Run is down to 99 cards to complete !

This is a modified run since I am not collecting 1952 Topps high numbers, and the run stops at 1980.

I also am not collecting every variation along the way, one version is good enough for me (except 1962 green tints, I have those)

It's about 16,700 cards or so in my version from 1952-1980.

I never thought I'd get this close, and the best thing to me is that I really don't need that many of the biggest cards. I have all the Mantles , Aarons etc...I do need Ryan and Rose rookies which will probably be the last ones that I get since I am not a big fan of those guys.

1967 is the one that hurts the most, I need 30 high numbers. Aargh , I will go after those before the year is out.

Anyway, it felt good to be down in double digits after all these years!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Jay D Wi.ley

thats an impressive feat. How many years have you been working on the topps run?
Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

That is huge Brian, congrats!!!

Larry
Old 08-05-2016, 06:48 AM
D0NN1E B

That's a nice run! How did you go about it? Did you buy complete sets for some years , starter sets, childhood sets you made whole? I've started looking at my 70s sets from my youth and maybe finishing them out thru 1989 but 50s-60s seem unattainable.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Al Richter

Default Mini ?

That is not a mini run Brian, that is a major run. Very impressive. I like others would be interested in how you went about it and over what period of time.

You should not have done the greenies because that virtually requires you to go back later and do the catalog listed vatriations for all those sets . I think it is the law.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-06-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Mini

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Three letters describe how I did it... OBC .
I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't have anywhere near this quantity if I was collecting "alone".
OBC is a family to me, having joined in 1997
We encourage each other, help each other and pass cards via "postal karma".
It just works!

Now, trust me...I have spent a fool's fortune on baseball cards for the past 46 years, beginning at age 8. I was lucky that my original cards from the 70's were mostly intact when I found them again in the mid 80's. I bought lots, singles and more lots to jump start all of the older sets and complete holes. But OBC has filled my mailbox with cardboard for nearly two decades!

My strategy has always been to try and acquire the bigger stars along the way.
I secretly want to end each set with easy commons, or reasonable stars like my 64 Niekro RC that would finish me off for that year.

Additionally, The thrill of the chase exceeds the fact that I could go on eBay and buy up the whole group of 99 cards I need tonight and be done.
I have bought starter sets of a hundred cards or so, but no complete sets.
I put them all in binders and read the backs before crossing them off my spreadsheet

So as I look forward to finishing the run, I have added some of the Bowman sets, Kellogg's , Red Hearts & a bunch of football (always seeking 1971 Topps FB) as well as completing my T205, E95, E96, E210-1 and denting C46, E90-1, T212 and E210-2 along the way. Then my real passion is HOF collecting.
My favorite collection is in my signature link. I've got the disease, boys!

Thanks for reading and certainly enjoy your own collections as much as I do mine...tell me YOUR story!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:10 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Brian....you...are...my...hero!!!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete