NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Default 1917 Die Cut Flat Top FB Helmet West Point Dance Card – Anyone seen it before?

photo FlatTopFBHelmetDanceCard_zpsfbe4eada.jpg

photo Withinvitationswungout_zpsc849d705.jpg

Picked up this dance card up last night/very early this morning on eBay. The listing didn’t specify the dimensions. I’m hoping it’s about 5” square but if not I like it no matter. Normally I would want to know the size first but it had a BIN and I liked it so much I wanted to make sure I got it so pulled the trigger. I can’t recall seeing another…but I don’t usually do cards. Has anyone seen one of these?

Obviously the invitation swings out…I guess the cord acts to secure the invitation part as a swivel point from the ear…and maybe double as a facsimile chin strap??....all I know is its dynamite and that sucker was coming home.

photo Logo_zpsababc359.jpg

"FALL HOPS 1917" is printed in gold on the side of the helmet and there's some kind of football shaped art work above it that I can't make out...guess it'll have to wait till I get it....but looks like there may be some eagles wings coming out the bottom.

photo sign_zpsa577a690.jpg

I just went to the California International Antiquarian Book Fair in San Francisco last Friday, opening preview day. The quality of stuff is incredible….lots of posters and paper besides just books…It’s one of the richest quality antique shows I’ve ever seen…everywhere you look there’s great quality stuff for sale. However….just to prove how rare antique sports stuff is I didn’t see anything in the whole show that was a killer sports display piece. Had this dance card been there it would have been priced a whole lot more that I had to pay on eBay….and I’d have probably paid it!

I’m not exactly sure how to display it….I’ll have to wait and see once I get it….kind of depends on how big it is….how much of a splash it would make if framed…

photo BackSide-1_zps32d4d3ce.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-17-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 AM
$cotty @.utin

Hi Carlton,
Great find, of course I'm partial to anything from my alma mater. The hop cards were cards that USMA handed out to the ladies (cadets called them "stags") when they arrived to the dance. The inside of the card is simply blank lines. On these lines the ladies would write the names of cadets. She would then dance with these cadets in the order of their names; one dance per song. The fall hop would often fall on homecoming weekend and therefore would often have a football theme. I've seen a few with a football player pictures or shaped like a football, but yours is the first helmet shaped. Great piece.

These dance cards are often about 3x5 and I would imagine your card is slightly smaller than these dimensions. You were right that the string would often hold the cards together but they would also attach a pencil to the end of the dangling tassle.

Also, the emblem is that of helmet of Pallas Athena with a sword through it. The sword signifies war but the helmet signifies "the art of war", meaning its participants must devote themselves to wisdom and learning. Later (after your hop card), USMA will add an eagle and a shield to the coat of arms to create their current crest.

I hope this helps answer your questions. I have a couple of these from 1903-1905 and they are a unique part of USMA history.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football