NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Help with a ticket stub - Mickey Mantle Major League debut

I just got this item back from PSA - graded Authentic. It's a ticket stub from Opening Day at Yankee Stadium in 1951 - Mickey Mantle's Major League debut, the only Opening Day Mantle and DiMaggio were both in the starting lineup, and also the first game with Bob Sheppard in the PA booth at the Stadium. The Yankees shut out Ted Williams and the Red Sox as they raised a championship flag and began another successful pursuit of a World Series crown.

All in all a significant day in baseball history. PSA had graded a few other games from that season at the Stadium, but this is the first from Opening Day on the registry.

I should add that I'm primarily a vintage card collector -- I don't mind tickets, but I don't really know them or collect them. I'm not desperate for the money but wouldn't mind turning it around for the right price.

So that raises two questions. First, about that right price... Does anyone have a sense of what it might draw on the open market? My quick glance through auctions and Google hasn't turned up any previous examples being sold so I'm not sure what we're talking about here. I brought it to the National this year (unslabbed) and got several on-the-spot cash offers, but I don't know if they were fair or not. Any experts anyone can recommend? Is there a particular auction house, or dealer, that has a good reputation when it comes to tickets or ticket stubs?

Second -- as you can see on the scan, it was encased askew by PSA. It's tilting in its case. It seems to me to detract from its eye appeal. Have others had similar experiences with PSA slabbing off-size items a little sloppily? Is it worth complaining to PSA about, and are they likely to offer a resolution that's worth my while?

Appreciate any thoughts or comments...

Rick

Scan 47.jpg
Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Hi & welcome to net54,

Your picture is too small to offer much detail on the overall condition of this ticket. A better scan would be helpful. Mantle's debut ticket is worth somewhere around $2,000, give or take a few hundred dollars.

You can get the ticket to reposition in the slab by tapping it edgewise on the lower right hand corner. Then it should have the orientation that you're looking for in the PSA case. It probably just got jostled when it was shipped from PSA.

I hope you find this helpful!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Default better scan - I hope

Thanks Scott, and here's a better scan

Scan 3.jpg
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgklein View Post
Thanks Scott, and here's a better scan

Attachment 50785
Much better, thanks!

The ticket appears to be in EX condition assuming it doesn't have writing, stains, glue etc. on the back. The upper two corners are a little soft, otherwise this would grade higher. If the back is clean, I will stand pat on my best guess on the value.

A very nice ticket to own. The absolute beginning to The Mick's great HOF career with the Bronx Bombers!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Default That worked re PSA re-positioning

Thanks, Scott - worked like a charm! (A very satisfied new Net54 customer!)

And yes, back is clean and full ticket is free of marks, tape, glue, etc.

Opted not to for a letter grade from PSA because of rounded corners, general wear, plus their warning about low grades of stubs in general.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Robert Edwards Auctions

Put the ticket in Robert Edwards Auctions next spring. You better hurry up and contact them because they will not accept new items for much longer.

Call REA up next week and talk to Tom D'Alonzo about putting it in their auction. They are one of the best in the business, FYI.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgklein View Post
Thanks, Scott - worked like a charm! (A very satisfied new Net54 customer!)

And yes, back is clean and full ticket is free of marks, tape, glue, etc.

Opted not to for a letter grade from PSA because of rounded corners, general wear, plus their warning about low grades of stubs in general.
Good strategy!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Rick, I sold one on Ebay several years ago. I believe I got just over $4000 for it in ugraded condition, on Ebay! I was shocked. Here is a scan of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle1stgamestub.jpg (35.8 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Yeah, but yours has a palindromic Sec-Row-Seat number, Randy.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Oh, I knew there must have been a reason!

Tags
mantle, ticket stubs, tickets, yankees