NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Bill Cauley

Default I Finally Got It

It's here! It has some rounding on the corners and a crease in the upper right corner but it has what I look for with centering, great color, and just flat out good eye appeal.

THIS has been the card that ever since I saw it for the first time about 10 years ago, decided that I had to have it at some point. For some reason or another, I just never went after it. Well, 2010 hit and I decided I wanted a focus for my collection and I decided on obtaining at least the following three cards during this year.

1) '53 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese
2) T206 Walter Johnson Portrait
3) 1938 Goudey Heads Up Bob Feller

Well, number one is done. I'm thinking I'm going after the Johnson next. I realized that I had too many cards that just don't matter or mean anything to me so what better way to fund my true desires than by selling off my other stuff. I sold off most of my game used and autographed stuff and a few modern RC's that I had dupes of. So, I got what to me is my favorite baseball card ever made in return for some ebay fees and a bunch of stuff that I just did not care about.

I think I'll end up with a lot less of my modern stuff pretty soon only keeping my RC's, Dustin Pedroia, and Nick Markakis cards. I'll get a few others here and there but I'm now finally all about pre/post war vintage.

Last edited by BCauley; 03-16-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Received card, posting scan.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Al Richter

Congrats Bill. I met Reese once in St Louis during the 1982 World Series. I picked up some tickets from him that my wife received from H&B as a shareholder. He was doing some promotional stuff for them at the time.

Good luck on your other two cards
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Paul Carek

Nice going, Bill. I sold off the majority of my HOF collection a while back to finance a smaller group of more "meaningful" cards, and have not regretted doing so for a second. Let's see a scan of your Reese when it arrives!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Jason

Default Congrats, Bill...

Post a scan when you get it!

You mentioned some of the rationale for the Reese purchase, but I'd be interested to hear how you came up with your next 2 targets as well...it's a nice diverse little grouping you're focusing on...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Jason Albregts

Congrats on the Reese. It is on my list too.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Jim K@ne

Congrats. That is a great card. I like your approach. Good luck with the others.

Jim
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Steve

Default Reese Card

Congrats indeed...it's always a rush to finally get that elusive card you've been chasing for years...we all know the feeling. I can still (very vaguely) recall the first time I ever saw that '53 Bowman Reese coming out of a wax pack in the spring of that year. Unfortunately for me, it was some other kid's wax pack and I was envious as hell. That sort of youthful craving can stick in your subconscious craw forever.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Joe

awesome pickup. I am looking for one in the same type of condition. Congrats!

Joe
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Chris Counts

Like so many collectors, I'm in awe of this card. In the 1970s when I was a teenager, I managed to put together a 1953 Bowman set, but I sold it off just before I went off to college. I got back into collecting about 10 years ago, and it was hard to get started again, remembering all the cards I used to have. I decided to start right off and get the '53 Reese to break the ice. With a limited budget, I went on eBay and found what I consider to be a "perfectly flawed" card. In others, a card that will grade poorly, but has great eye appeal. Here it is ...

Here's my collection: http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53reese3.jpg (75.4 KB, 249 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Steve

Default Great Image

With so much nostalgic fondness focused on this classic Reese card, I wonder who the baserunner was. Probably a spring intra-squad game, so must be a Dodger.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

The runner is usually identified as Phil Rizzuto but I do not know if that is true or not.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Chris,

I think it's the simple memories such as the one you expressed that make card collecting so special.

Welcome back.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Frenchy?

I have seen the name Frenchy Bordagaray attached to the sliding player, which would make the photo much older than 1952. Frenchy left the majors after 1945.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards