NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Zach Close

Default 1961 topps with green inside baseball

I have owned the 1961 topps ron fairly with the green inside the baseball and I know psa will slab this card. But I found a #40 bob turley with the same green mark inside the bottom of the baseball. My question is has anyone else seen this with other 61 and will psa recognize this as an error? I had about 5 other turleys and none of them had the green mark.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Every time one of these 1961 Topps "Green in Baseball" discoveries pops up I have to scour eBay and COMC looking through back of card scans trying to find one. I must have looked at 200 Turley cards, but luckily found one. There are at least four that I know of, Ron Fairly, John DeMerit, Jose Pagan, and now Bob Turley. Personally, even though I have found quite a few of them, I don't think PSA should have recognized the Fairly because it is strictly a printing flaw and there are so many varying degrees of the amount of green in the ball. It looks like the Deron Johnson might have a little green in the ball in the scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZ,!jgFEgpTOSfBBRK6C17cUQ~~60_57.jpg (74.6 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 03-22-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Correction and grammar
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Al Richter

Default Green Print defects in 1961

I think this defect occurs in many 1961 Topps cards. Whoever sold PSA on listing the Fairly as a variation in the Registry master list was a good salesman. But once it is added to a master set list, if you collect such sets, you almost have to have one . I admit to getting one of the Fairlys. :-(

The amount of green can vary significantly. A friend has a Fairly in which the entire bottom of the ball is green. Once it becomes obvious how many cards have the defect the initial high prices should drop considerably

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Larry More.y

Default Fairlys cards

I have owned at least 4 different variations of the green in the circle(and have seen additional variations to this card)....would these 61 Topps cards with the green in the ball be considered "uncorrected" print variations, or did Topps actually take the time and "correct" this seemingly insignificant "error"?

Either way, I am not complaining as I sold my 4th copy of the Fairly card for $200 recently. A 501 card recently sold for around $25-30

Here are scans of the three "different" Fairly backs that I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (51.6 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (54.6 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (53.7 KB, 396 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Al Richter

Default 1961 Fairly

Saved--the middle one is a good one, but PSA has been putting labels on any Fairly card with the slightest smudge in the circle. Don't know what they will do if everyone starts turning in all the other cards with this defect. I think they were all just print defects of varying degrees with some of the green ink sloshing over on the plates. I don't they they intended it or corrected it.

On the other hand I guess it is as " prominent" as a missing part of the R on the back of the 57 Bakep " variation", which is, I think, just another unintended print defect. Only difference between these green smudges and the 57 Bakep, the 58 Herrer or the 52 Campos black or partial black star may be the fact they are apparently much more common that the latter

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Those don't look much like overinked cards. Especially the middle one. It's just too neat of a curve. The other two don't look overinked, but don't look like much either.

One way of correcting this sort of thing is by using a special writing thing that's sort of like a limestone crayon. It can be used to erase stuff from the plate or fill scratches and other damage.

I'd guess the two on the sides are incomplete repairs. It's just a bit hard to tell with so little there.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Saved--the middle one is a good one, but PSA has been putting labels on any Fairly card with the slightest smudge in the circle. Don't know what they will do if everyone starts turning in all the other cards with this defect. I think they were all just print defects of varying degrees with some of the green ink sloshing over on the plates. I don't they they intended it or corrected it.

On the other hand I guess it is as " prominent" as a missing part of the R on the back of the 57 Bakep " variation", which is, I think, just another unintended print defect. Only difference between these green smudges and the 57 Bakep, the 58 Herrer or the 52 Campos black or partial black star may be the fact they are apparently much more common that the latter
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

Al- I randomly ended up with 3 of the 4 Fairlys in lots I purchased...I may have gone through 15 total 492 cards to find the 3. If this is indeed an accurate representation of the population of these "green in the ball" cards, then 1 out of 5 does not seem like a very rare defect. The fourth I found at a shop in MI while looking specifically for variations.

Here is a 447 card I found earlier today, I call it the "green everywhere" defect/variation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (75.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Cory

I found a few others. I am not sure how PSA will slab them though. The DeMerit that I have not only has green inside the baseball but several other random green spots/lines on the back borders.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Al Richter

Default Greenies 2

Cory--hard to say, having slabbed the Fairly as a variation and put it in their master set list, what they will do when they realize how many there are like that in the set. Maybe they will rescind their initial decision, or maybe grandfather it. Bob Lemke on occasion removed listed variations from SCD as he developed a more restrictive view of what should define true variations. I think he and maybe Beckett used to be their guide post, but now Bob has retired

Or maybe they will become Greenies 2 ala the 62 set...or 1
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Larry More.y

I found this 501 recently
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 501.jpg (75.3 KB, 174 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Al Richter

Default DeMerit

Saved---I have one like that as well

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-26-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Richard D

Default 1961s

Hi Al and all,
Thanks for this thread! Looking through my 1961 dupes I found only a couple of baseball bleeds and a couple margin bleeds, which I am listing on my variations pages. Also listing all the ones you guys so thoughtfully scanned.
Meanwhile I noticed a handful of my dupes had what looked like two-toned green on the back. Meaning that the large green area around the stats was significantly darker in one area and lighter in the rest. Didn't look like light exposure and varied completely in extent and degree from card to card. I would send scans but don't yet know how. I found this on cards #216, 225, 230, 242 and 246. Curious that the numbers are so close...
Anyone else notice this?
Richard Dingman
https://sites.google.com/site/richar...ns-1960---1969