NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default Cutting Up Full Sheets-What do you think?

Posted By: Scott

I will start with this-I personally believe that full sheets shouldn't be cut up-once something is cut up it can never go back together-I have read postings on other sites where guys were cutting up 1960s Bazooka boxes because a grading company didn't grade full boxes, so they wanted info on what the grading company looks for in a panel. Finding something in its "first" state of existence has to be the most valuable and collectible to me personally.

I know this is a pre-war type site, but on the other hand I can see why some sheets are cut up. In 1967 and 68 Topps made sheets with round disc that where meant to be made into round buttons-this never materialized and a few full sheets made it to the public-owners have had these sheets cut up and it gives collecters a chance to get his/her favorite player-I am okay with this, because I couldn't afford a full sheet,and it gives me a chance to own a card that other wise I would have in my collection.

The question is this: old judge auction has a sheet of 1921 Koester bread cards-if this was cut up into individual cards,they would have extremmely sharp corners and centering and grade very high???

Will a grading company grade these?
How does agrading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921?
Do they mark them hand cut?
Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results?
Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Will a grading company grade these?...yes, but they might just give them an auithentic grade

How does agrading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921?...careful analysis of the cut itself, paper, color etc can be revealing

Do they mark them hand cut?..only with certain issues [eg Post cereal]

Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results?... Personally no, but I've heard stories.

Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet?... Yes, yes and yes.

Frank

Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Will a grading company grade these? Depends. Their standards and practices are inconsistent.
How does a grading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921? It doesn't; if the cards are typically found cut up (i.e., strip cards) and measure ok most will grade regardless of cut age; if not, most likely you will get a refusal to grade on the basis of trimming.
Do they mark them hand cut? Sometimes. PSA seems to do it more.
Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results? I cut down a W565 sheet and had two cards graded: Leonard SGC 80 Heilmann SGC 40. Both accurately.
Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet? Yes. It will likely go so high that there is no profit in it.