NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default What’s the obsession with Mickey Mantle?

Seriously. There was this mythology about the 52 card being printed late and scads of them buried at sea. Now all sorts of other Mantle cards seem to be steadily increasing in value. What’s the obsession with Mantle? Are there a few hundred thousand Billy Crystal clones out there. Babe Ruth sure. Jackie sure. I get those. They are part of the fabric of American history. But Mantle was a big strong galoot who hit some amazing dingers. Not denigrating his stats, but don’t understand the collecting obsession around him.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 AM

New York Yankees 12 Pennants in 14 seasons and 7 World Championships. He also had 2 huge years in 1956 and 1957 when Baseball Cards were becoming big with kids. When the hobby took off in the late 70s and early 80s it was fueled by those 50s kids who idolized Mantle and were now grown with disposable income to relive their childhoods.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
David McDonald

I grew up around NYC in the fifties. Saw many games at old Yankee Stadium. In the world I lived in there was Mantle and there was everyone else. Lots of great stars back in those days but no one shined quite the same way as the Mick. Didn't hurt that the Yankees had that dynasty thing going.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Al Richter

We also need links to all the other threads in which someone has raised this question

I collect sets. If he is in a set, I need him. If he has a variation in a set, like 52 and 67 (3), I need those too.

I have seen the debate about why his premium is bigger than other stars both here on the main board and on the post war board, and on CU and other boards

It seems to me people who don't have his cards think they are overpriced and are waiting for the market to correct, while those who have them hope the market continues to climb. So far the haves have it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Agree that the confluence of events regarding world championships, New York, early-mid 50s, rise of baseball card collecting, all of that. But what i see personally, is the aura around the man. My dad grew up in that time through a large portion of the Midwest and even in towns that should be all about Musial, Banks and Aaron, he says there was still talk about Mickey.
My dad (and I assume most boys from that generation) can run for hours with Mantle stories. The time his rookie year he pulled up from a fly ball because he would have run over DiMaggio in the outfield. That gave him a knee injury that slowed him the rest of his career. The jersey number thing, Ruth was three, Gherig was 4, DiMaggio was 5, Mantle knew he was next but chose 7. The stories of towering home runs. Plus, I think the struggles with partying, alcohol, etc. only made him more human to his fans.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
We also need links to all the other threads in which someone has raised this question

I collect sets. If he is in a set, I need him. If he has a variation in a set, like 52 and 67 (3), I need those too.

I have seen the debate about why his premium is bigger than other stars both here on the main board and on the post war board, and on CU and other boards

It seems to me people who don't have his cards think they are overpriced and are waiting for the market to correct, while those who have them hope the market continues to climb. So far the haves have it.
I agree with this a lot, and also, like Babe Ruth, he is a legend, maybe even of epic proportions, and Legends will never be forgotten about.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Y'know, sort of the same thing with Nolan Ryan. A lot would argue he was not the "complete all around" best pitcher in his era (Seaver, Carlton, Palmer), but his card prices sure are head and shoulders above the rest. Why? The sheer overpowering awesomeness, kind of like Mick, that's what sticks in minds...the stuff legends are made of, stuff that no one else can do.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Barry Sloate

I remember opening up packs in the early 1960's, and knew then that if I found a Mickey Mantle, I hit the jackpot. He could be traded for a whole stack of some other kid's cards. Mantle was an iconic figure in the 50's and 60's, and a lot of baby boomers have sunk big money into his cards and memorabilia.

Now it's always possible his star will fade a bit over time, when a new generation takes over the hobby. But for now he is still the post-WWII gold standard.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 AM
B. Schneider
Ben Sch.neider

My Dad was born in 1945 so he was primetime Mantle when he was a kid. He grew up in Cincinnati at a time when there were local stars like Frank Robinson and Ted Kluszewski, but even he worshipped Mickey Mantle.

He was like a god to kids. Good-looking, great baseball name, a 5 tool player, and he played for what was already a dynasty team.

Now when you look at his overall career stats they are good but not god-like like other players of his era like Willie Mays. But I think collectors look at Mantles glory era, during the 50s when he was relatively healthy and not plagued by alcoholism. He played a majority of his career with a torn ACL and in many ways the bottle helped ease the pain.

Mantle is like Mike Trout, but on a higher profile team. Now image if Mike Trout got hurt and found the bottle in the 2020s. That is Mickey Mantle.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 PM
octavio ranzola

love steve but I think hes drinking