NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 AM
bgar3 bgar3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: new jersey
Posts: 620
Default Books

Baseball books are a great collecting area, with many potential concentration, including history, fiction, poetry, older, recent, instructional, biographies illustrated and many more. You can also read them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-01-2018, 12:34 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,253
Default

As a photo person, I think, beyond overprints and alterations for grades, forgeries of Pre-War baseball cards is not an issue, meaning that undetectable counterfeits will not happen. Some posters opine about modern printing technology and experts in China being able to create perfect counterfeits, but that's not true.

I also think provenance will become more and more important-- and something I've talked about often here--, because if you can establish that a card, including autograph card, pre-dated the forgery wave, that will be significant. I've often told people to establish the date of their overprinted card in case there is a future wave of overprinting forgeries.

Last edited by drcy; 12-01-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-01-2018, 04:09 PM
rhettyeakley's Avatar
rhettyeakley rhettyeakley is offline
Rhett Yeakley
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,092
Default

Hard to go wrong with mid to lower grade vintage baseball cards. They can easily be determined to be real or fake and the money just isn’t there to enhance a card to any great degree. This is one of my favorite things about collecting sets like the Zeenut series. Typically lower grade so eye appeal becomes more important than technical grade. Hard to fake those types of cards.
__________________
Check out my website www.StarsOfTheDiamond.com

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-01-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 AM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As a photo person, I think, beyond overprints and alterations for grades, forgeries of Pre-War baseball cards is not an issue, meaning that undetectable counterfeits will not happen. Some posters opine about modern printing technology and experts in China being able to create perfect counterfeits, but that's not true.

I also think provenance will become more and more important-- and something I've talked about often here--, because if you can establish that a card, including autograph card, pre-dated the forgery wave, that will be significant. I've often told people to establish the date of their overprinted card in case there is a future wave of overprinting forgeries.
+1. IMHO, undetectable counterfeits of pre-war cards will not be a significant issue. Cards made through different processes at significantly distinct times have always left substantially different footprints. As to autographs on cards or otherwise, there will always be forgers as long as they have significant value. Some really thorough detective work re the latter has/is being done on the other thread!

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-02-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:01 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,253
Default

I think alterations and high graded graded cards is likely an issues. But that's not stuff that interests me (collecting-wise).

As someone said, mid to grade cards are nice.

There will be forgeries (and I know of another problem which I've subtly alluded to before), but I think photos are safe if you know what you're doing. News photos are generally safe. For the record, of what I've seen, PSA does a good job with photos. I'm sure there's lots of other memorabilia too that's safe if you know what you're doing. The areas that are more "scary" are autographs and game used-- but I deal in neither.

Last edited by drcy; 12-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 26,164
Default

Hey David
Quick question sort of in line with this thread. Have you ever seen a real albumen print be faked? In other words it is a fake real albumen card? For example, a fake Old Judge that is a real albumen photo and it's fake? This question is about to be more pertinent, to me, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think alterations and high graded graded cards is likely an issues. But that's not stuff that interests me (collecting-wise).

As someone said, mid to grade cards are nice.

There will be forgeries (and I know of another problem which I've subtly alluded to before), but I think photos are safe if you know what you're doing. News photos are generally safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackiemovie2.jpg (73.9 KB, 374 views)
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,253
Default

I've seen original albumen photos remounted (I think there were remounted Kalamazoo bats out there-- with obviously different mounts, and a matter of restoration), but have never seen a forgery using albumen.

I know there was questioning about one big albumen baseball photo a while back in an auction. But it wasn't about the photographic print itself-- no one doubted it was original--, it was about the mount. Some thought it was remounted. But it was an esoteric, early photo, not a trading card like an Old Judge. Whether remounted or not, it still had a lot of value.

The good deal with photos is the older they are, the easier they are to authenticate. The older the materials, the older the processes, etc. Also albumens get wear and aging signs distinct to the process and materials. Theoretically, modern photos are easier to forge, because the original and forger-used materials and processes are from the same era.

Last edited by drcy; 12-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-02-2018, 03:50 PM
maddux31 maddux31 is offline
J@son C@rter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think alterations and high graded graded cards is likely an issues. But that's not stuff that interests me (collecting-wise).

As someone said, mid to grade cards are nice.

There will be forgeries (and I know of another problem which I've subtly alluded to before), but I think photos are safe if you know what you're doing. News photos are generally safe. For the record, of what I've seen, PSA does a good job with photos. I'm sure there's lots of other memorabilia too that's safe if you know what you're doing. The areas that are more "scary" are autographs and game used-- but I deal in neither.
PSA may do a good job, but the authentication fees are high in respect to declared values. Unless the photo is on the high end of the first tier it is cost prohibitive to get the photo authenticated. I have a type 1 photo that would sell in the $300 range and I can't see any reason to have it authenticated when they charge $50 to authenticate, $30 to encapsulate and the shipping on top of that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Bpm0014's Avatar
Bpm0014 Bpm0014 is offline
Brendan Mullen
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,036
Default

The good deal with photos is the older they are, the easier they are to authenticate. The older the materials, the older the processes, etc. Also albumens get wear and aging signs distinct to the process and materials.

I would never get out of collecting cards, but this is why I love old photos so much!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM
benjulmag benjulmag is online now
CoreyRS.hanus
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I've seen original albumen photos remounted (I think there were remounted Kalamazoo bats out there-- with obviously different mounts, and a matter of restoration), but have never seen a forgery using albumen.

I know there was questioning about one big albumen baseball photo a while back in an auction. But it wasn't about the photographic print itself-- no one doubted it was original--, it was about the mount. Some thought it was remounted. But it was an esoteric, early photo, not a trading card like an Old Judge. Whether remounted or not, it still had a lot of value.

The good deal with photos is the older they are, the easier they are to authenticate. The older the materials, the older the processes, etc. Also albumens get wear and aging signs distinct to the process and materials. Theoretically, modern photos are easier to forge, because the original and forger-used materials and processes are from the same era.
Are you referring to the 1865 Atlantics CdV?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desktop upgrade of the hobby type mjkm90 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 4 08-16-2016 04:33 PM
Difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Press Photos... jgmp123 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 26 04-25-2014 04:01 PM
Are 70's unopened wax packs safe to buy or are there problems in the hobby? mutoscope Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 8 08-23-2012 04:46 PM
Original Photos / Type I photos and Autographs CharleyBrown Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 12 12-05-2011 02:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


ebay GSB