NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Adam,
Thanks for the response and all the great scans! I'd never noticed the AM.L.
vs A.L. difference before. It's odd that they didn't use something other than N.L. in 1921 also (like Natl. L.). So, telling which year the NL cards are from requires a lot of knowledge.

Brad,
I love those Lefty Grove cards! He's one of my favorites, no matter what color.

- Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 02-25-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Dmitry D.

Quote:
If there are blank-backed or “correspondence” cards for a particular player who has a putative “rookie” card in the set, only those cards, not later cards with the “not to be used” backs, are their actual rookie year issues. This has a great deal of importance with Gehrig. I have yet to see a blank-backed Gehrig card. I think it very likely that any Gehrig card that has a blank back is a 1925 issue, while any card with a legend on the back is a 1926 or later printing. Since Gehrig’s 1925 regular issue card is a rookie and sells for thousands of dollars, dating the Gehrig in this set is critical.
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but there appears to now be evidence of a blank backed Gehrig in existence.

I wish it wasn't priced into the stratosphere by Dean's (23K!!)... would seriously consider picking it up if it were priced fairly.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 12-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

In my book these are about as cool as cool gets. Love the photos and the color variations are awesome. These are friggin' works of art.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's really interesting. That card does not look right to me. The print quality is lesser than I would expect, like a second generation card.

Also, the back cardboard looks too coarse for an Exhibit card.

I always thought this Gehrig image was taken later and used on later cards. Like for this 4 on 1:

or the W517

Then there is the Gehrig batting and Gehrig silhouette.

I don't know of any silhouette card being preceded by a second pose.

The portrait used to make the card needs further research. Here's why:

--MEARS sold an 11 x 14 portrait from The Sporting News as a 1925 Conlin (7/31/2011 auction...for only $118!).
--The 1991 Conlin cards list it as a 1927.
--It is in the book about Conlin's baseball images too: does anyone have access to one?

Anyone got a handle on other Conlin resources? If we can pin down the date the picture was taken we can rule out any earlier cards using it.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-06-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Adam, you’re the man on these issues. I bought your book and it was a pleasure to read.

One question unrelated to discussion above: it seems to me that
Certain exhibits issues are really prone to browningn that looks like water damage. Like the 1921 Ruth, in my mind one of the absolute beauties. Do you know why that staining seems to affect some cards more than others. Or maybe you don’t agree with this at all.

Steve

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-06-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think they are more vulnerable year over year. One of the nice things about them is the consistency of the card stock. The degree of aging has to do with storage more than anything else. Like any other pulp product, how the acid affects the paper is largely environmental.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Larry

Occasionally, it is very educational to resurrect an old post. Interesting info all the way around, guys, and thanks! Plus, having collected quite a few of the key cards since my original post those years ago, I agree with Adam that the Gehrig portrait does not look right. The print quality does not seem up to par at all, IMO. Might well be worth someone's while to try and pull a fake for big bucks (not pointing fingers at the seller at all, who, if this is the case, is likely an entirely innocent party), as an ExMt example of the card just sold for almost $7300 in a PWCC auction. Those were $1200-$1500 cards 5-6 years ago!

Best wishes to all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-07-2018 at 03:15 AM.