NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Bill T.

Default Which non-HoFer do you collect? (and why)

Time to get back to prewar. Which prewar ballplayer do you have a real Jones for? What about him attracts you? Hall-of-Famers need not apply. Show cards if ya got 'em.

For me it's Clyde (Deerfoot) Milan. He was signed on the same scouting trip that brought WaJo to Washington, and was a good enough all-around guy that he and Johnson were roommates for years. Milan led the American League in stolen bases a couple years in the teens, and hit over .300 in 1911-12-13.

Bill

Old 08-19-2016, 04:22 PM

I'd like to start collecting Bill Dahlen. I already have his Boston T206 and would love a Brooklyn.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Dave_Berg

Mathewson, because of who he was as a player and to continue the Mathewson collection my dad started many years ago. I throw in a fair amount of Cobb types and a sprinkling of others.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Mathewson, because of who he was as a player and to continue the Mathewson collection my dad started many years ago. I throw in a fair amount of Cobb types and a sprinkling of others.
Do you have any Non-Hof players that you collect? That was the question posed by the OP.

Brian
Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Billy Sunday. I did a complete OJ run and have several other pieces of paper from his ministry. I doubt I'll ever pop for the super big money required for the other Sunday player issues.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Jackie Jensen. Amazing althlete, Red Sox connection, very honest about life, and for some reason his cards just look like artwork to me.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

"Indian" Bob Johnson. Because he SHOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME!!!

Tom C
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Do you have any Non-Hof players that you collect? That was the question posed by the OP.

Brian
Oops.....and No
Old 08-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Ken McMillan

Elmer Miller of the New York Yankees in 1921 to 1922. Was the Yankees center fielder in the 1921 World Series, first Yankee ever to get a hit in a World Series, and was driven in by Ruth himself becoming the first Yankee to ever score in a World Series. He is also my great great uncle on my mother's side of the family.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Luke Lyon

I don't have a large collection of any certain player, but if I come across a Larry Doyle I usually hang onto it. He was one of the stars of the tobacco card era. 3rd in NL MVP in 1911 and won it in 1912. Then he led the league in hits, doubles and BA in 1915.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doyle with bat Old Mill PSA 4 a.jpg (77.1 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg img951.jpg (78.7 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg img966.jpg (79.0 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg img968.jpg (78.9 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg Doyle throwing SGC 45.jpg (78.4 KB, 708 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Dave Adkins

Doc Adkins is my focus as he was my Grandfather. I have T206 Broadleaf, Pd, PB, SC Fac and Fac 25, hope to upgrade AB and Cycle. Have T205 Hassan and PB as well as Colgans E254. ANy help would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dave
Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Val Kehl

Bill T., fortunately for me, "Deerfoot" Milan's (he led the A.L in stolen bases in 1912 & 1913 and had a career average of .285 with 2,100 hits) last year was 1922, because we might be competitors for his cards if he played a couple of years longer. My collecting focus is cards of ALL the players on the Washington Senators 1924 championship team. I include players who got traded or sent to the minors during the season, some of whom only played a few games with the Senators. I began this collecting focus after many years of collecting WaJo and Sam Rice cards and reaching the frustrating point of being unable to find and/or afford many/most of their cards that didn't have - so, going after cards of all the other players on the 1924 team instantly provided me with lots more card-collecting action.

Hence, I am always looking for tough cards of these non-HOFers (* indicates players who had no cards issued during their playing days, as far as I can determine): Nick Altrock, Ossie Bluege, Carl East*, George Fisher*, Chick Gagnon*, Bert/Buck Griffith* (Matt Williams' grandfather), Billy Hargrave, Joe Judge, Wade Lefler, Nemo Leibold, Firpo Marberry, Joe Martina, Wid Matthews, Slim McGrew, Earl McNeely, Ralph Miller, George Mogridge, Curly Ogden, Roger Peckinpaugh, Doc Prothro, Lance Richbourg, Muddy Ruel, Allen Russell, Mule Shirley, Carr Smith*, Byron Speece, Benny Tate, Tommy Taylor*, Ted Wingfield, Tom Zachary, and Paul Zahniser.

Post-WWII, I collect Pete Runnels and Mickey Vernon, who were my favorite Washington Senators players way back when I was a Little Leaguer in the 1950's.
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Zeenuts - McNeely - fronts.jpg (71.9 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Martina & McGrew - fronts.jpg (62.7 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Zeenut - Zahniser - front.jpg (76.4 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 1943&1944 Centennial Flour - Speece - fronts.jpg (79.2 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg W504 - Judge & Ruel.jpg (80.1 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg E100 Peckinpaugh - front.jpg (76.4 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by ValKehl; 08-19-2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I forgot to explain why I collect these players.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:50 PM
David McDonald

Walter Schmidt was the younger brother of Boss Schmidt. No deep reason as to why I collect his cards but I find it neat that he shows up in a mix of cool sets such as T210s, Contentneas, Zeenuts and Obaks. He even has a Western Playground that I would love to find.

Last edited by Kawika; 08-19-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:21 PM

Default Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be ...

....I have always had a soft spot in my heart for cowboys since I married Leo Carrillo's favorite great-grandniece . Horse people.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Ben North

In pre war it is not so much a player as a team for me. I love the T210 Ft Worth players. I find the red borders with the B/W photos to be the most beautiful T cards. I focused on the Ft Worth team because the inner child in me giggles and I smile from ear to ear when I see that FTW on their jerseys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210(1).jpg (71.5 KB, 523 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Default Which non-HoFer do you collect? (and why)

I'll have to get pics later...

But I have a HOF based collection and the only non-HOFers are the cheaters: Pete rose and the black sox (cicotte, shoeless, chic gandil) getting rid of my rose along w all my post war stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BBB; 08-19-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default My Si Johnson collection

I collected Si Johnson because he is from my home town of Sheridan, IL. One of his claims to fame was that he was the last pitcher to strike out Babe Ruth.

Unfortunately, I never got to meet him. The day I planned on meeting him was at a small local card show, but I got there with an hour to go and he left 15 minutes earlier because no one was stopping by to get his autograph. To his credit, he did leave several autographed 3 1/2 x 5 color photos in case someone, like me, did arrive late. So, I got two different ones, which I cherish.

I made the 33 Goudey card artwork from a vintage local newspaper photo clipping. Not too bad for an amateur, in my humble opinion. I realize the 1947 Tip Top is not Pre-War and certainly not the 1985 National Pastime card. However, my Si Johnson collection wouldn't be complete without them. Enjoy the Si Johnson collection!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:48 PM
pariah1107

Anything and everything that has to do with the early integration of baseball in the Pacific Northwest by Ernie Tanner and Jimmy Claxton (still looking for any image of Ike Ward):

ca. 1904-05 Ernie Tanner with Tacoma Track team:

and the 1925 Edmonds nine, Claxton starting pitcher and clean-up hitter:

Reason, recently completed a book on the subject.

Last edited by pariah1107; 08-19-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Charlie Bennett, catcher, Detroit, National League

The whole concept of Detroit having a team in the National League seemed so weird when I was 12. Bennett Park, named after Charlie, of course eventually became Tiger Stadium. How could a player have a stadium named after him and not be in the Hall of Fame?!

Charlie and his wife supposedly invented the chest protector, and poor Charlie lost his legs in a train accident which ended his career. He, along with fellow Detroit Wolverine Sam Thompson, used to team up to throw out the first pitch of the season well into the 1920's. I find the history of that team, and that era, fascinating. I only have one card of his though. I'd love an Old Judge some day.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Jerry

Glenn was a family friend when I was growing up.

Last edited by TheBig6; 08-19-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Royal "Roy" Castleton, the first LDS/Mormon Major Leaguer and pitched a perfect game in the Minor Leagues for Youngstown, Ohio. Played for the Reds and Yankees.

He is back row far left:

I have all of his mainstream issues (not all pictured here), I need to find a Western Playground to complete the run.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 08-20-2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarifying "LDS" designation
Old 08-19-2016, 11:43 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Harry Sutor. I randomly bought this 1911 Gilmartin and an E100 of Sutor when I first started collecting and figured, "Well I have to have his toughest cards, may as well get 'em all." Boy, was I ever wrong. His T4 Obak sits on e-bay at $3000 toying with me for the last few years, but I just can't pay that. And his E100 type 2, well, Leon sold his to someone besides me, as well as his E221 Bishop SF. And his T5 Pinkerton? I haven't seen one with the mount, and only saw one on e-bay about a week after it sold. Then there is the Western Playground. So no, I have some tough ones, but not nearly his toughest (though I've not seen another Gilmartin no idea the total number of each of these).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Sutor Gilmartin.jpg (79.7 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 D310 Sutor Pacific Coast Biscuit-horz.jpg (79.1 KB, 478 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Royal "Roy" Castleton, the first LDS Major Leaguer and pitched a perfect game in the Minor Leagues for Youngstown, Ohio. Played for the Reds and Yankees.

Rhett, I love this Crackers card. Been after one for ever.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Ed,
I have never seen another example of the Castleton but have seen 3-4 examples of Harry "Dick" Bayless. It may have been a 2 person set, one picher and one position player but others on the team may have been issued and just haven't been seen yet. It is an oversized postcard, a bit of an unusual size so that may limit the numbers that survived.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-20-2016, 08:44 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Favorite non-HOF'ers collected: Reynolds, Colavito, Trucks

I pick up Allie "Superchief" Reynolds, Virgil "Fire" Trucks, and Rocky Colavito. All because they were my Dad's favorites. He played with Rocky in the Bronx on a local team called the MoHawks. My dad was a pitcher and his favorites were Allie Reynolds and Virgil Trucks. I buy the 49 Bowman Reynolds and Trucks whenever I see nice ones, and same for 1957 Colavito's. I think I have a hoarding problem, but it is specific to these cards.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Rawn Hill

You could say, I had a fixation on one. Why? Not many Maine baseball players of real note and it pissed off my ex-wife.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:50 PM
M0rrie Mu||ins

Mine is George Mullin. Similar family name and some of the same facial features have always made me think that maybe he's a distant relative. He seems like a distant relative that never signed many autographs, though. Here's a shot of the non-t206 pieces of my "Uncle George" collection.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Frank "Lefty" O'Doul is the greatest eligible position player not in the Hall of Fame. Over 970 games (30 shy of the 1,000 used for official records) from 1919 to 1934, Lefty averaged .349, winning two batting championships and setting the NL record for most hits in a season, which still stands. Not in any way a "homer" like Chuck Klein (whose numbers were greatly aided by playing in a small park in Philly), Lefty hit .352 at home and .347 on the road, proving he belongs among the elite hitters in history. After his days in the majors ended, he returned to the Pacific Coast League, where he was the longtime manager of the San Francisco Seals and later the San Diego and Seattle teams. He had a restaurant in San Francisco and was a bon vivant and man about town. Lefty was instrumental in organizing Japanese baseball, whose premiere team, the Giants, was named in his honor. Lefty is one of only 3 Americans in the Japanese baseball hall of fame. He is also one of the few players to have played for the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants while all 3 were in New York City. Lefty died on December 7, 1969. His epitaph reads "He was here at a good time and had a good time while he was here."

I collect his cards because I used to go to his bar in San Francisco when I was in law school. I got interested in the history. He is also a great choice for a type card collection because he was on so many late 1920s-early 1930s issues and western regional issues.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-20-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I collect several

Pre War: Sunday, Berg, Chase, and the Black Sox
Post War: Connors, Uecker, Rose, Maris

Last edited by glynparson; 08-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:19 AM
GaryPassamonte

Ross Barnes was born in my hometown and should be in the HOF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg na.jpg (31.9 KB, 371 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Jason Wells

I collect Dutch Revelle for the hometown connection and the great image presented on his T210/T206. I only need the T206 Hindu to finish the run. But come to think of it all I collect are non HOF players. I dont have a single prewar HOF card in my collection currently. One of my top goals is to upgrade this card one day.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Frank "Lefty" O'Doul is the greatest eligible position player not in the Hall of Fame. Over 970 games (30 shy of the 1,000 used for official records) from 1919 to 1934, Lefty averaged .349, winning two batting championships and setting the NL record for most hits in a season, which still stands. Not in any way a "homer" like Chuck Klein (whose numbers were greatly aided by playing in a small park in Philly), Lefty hit .352 at home and .347 on the road, proving he belongs among the elite hitters in history. After his days in the majors ended, he returned to the Pacific Coast League, where he was the longtime manager of the San Francisco Seals and later the San Diego and Seattle teams. He had a restaurant in San Francisco and was a bon vivant and man about town. Lefty was instrumental in organizing Japanese baseball, whose premiere team, the Giants, was named in his honor. Lefty is one of only 3 Americans in the Japanese baseball hall of fame. He is also one of the few players to have played for the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants while all 3 were in New York City. Lefty died on December 7, 1969. His epitaph reads "He was here at a good time and had a good time while he was here."

I collect his cards because I used to go to his bar in San Francisco when I was in law school. I got interested in the history. He is also a great choice for a type card collection because he was on so many late 1920s-early 1930s issues and western regional issues.

Hey Adam

Lefty is one of my favorites, also.

His 1929 season with the Phillies.... AB= 638....R= 152....H= 254....HR= 32....RBI= 122....BA= .398 (and struck out only 19 times)....is a season that dreams are made of.

TED Z
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 AM

My non hof collecting interest is jake daubert one of the finest 1st sackers of the dead ball era and a overlooked player who should be in the hof.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Ted Zanidakis

My favorite non-HOFer is Hal Chase.

As a kid I read quite a number of books on Babe Ruth; and, in them Chase's fielding (and hitting) prowess were often mentioned.

Babe Ruth once said.... "Hal Chase is the best 1st baseman he had ever seen".

So when I returned to this wonderful hobby in the late 1970's, my first T206 was this one.........

Does anyone on this forum know of a blue Chase with a DRUM ? ...... I have been searching for 37 years, and have not seen this combo.

------v

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 08-22-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Chris

Default Hero worship

Some wonderful cards displayed here. Congrats to their owners. I realize this is a pre-war site, but even so I am amazed there has been no mention of Rocky Colavito. Where are the late 50's and early 60's boomers from Cleveland and Detroit?

I have a fourth of my curio case dedicated to him. Signed bat, HR Derby card, 59 Bazooka, '57 yearbook I had him sign as "Rocco Domenico Colavito", not just "Rocky". There's a scorecard with him and Maris in the lineup together- wonder how the Tribe woulda done in 61 with them??
Old 08-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Mike Ryan

Default Pat Seerey

1. He is in the 1948-49 Leaf set.
2. He hit 4 homeruns in one game.
3. To my knowledge the Leaf card is his one and only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEEREY 8 001.jpg (78.2 KB, 341 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Default terry turner

Because I picked up his baby photo.
 photo jnjscan0008.jpg
Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Justin

Default Jake Daubert & Nap Rucker

I'm building Daubert and Rucker collections as a result of type collecting a team.

Jake Daubert:

Nap Rucker:

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Paul S

Collect my grandfather and great grandfather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billy swinging.jpg (68.1 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg billy-sullivan.jpg (76.7 KB, 297 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I'm building Daubert and Rucker collections as a result of type collecting a team.

Jake Daubert:

Nap Rucker:
Justin, with your two elegant displays involving Daubert and Rucker, you make a compelling statement on the merits of Type Card Collecting. I've done somewhat the same thing with a half-dozen post-war players I like and admire. Some are HOFers, while others will never be. The point is that if I like them and admire them, I will desire a few cards and coins of them.

Again, a very nice collection, bro. Viewing your assemblages reminds me of why I prefer displays of cards in All-State Display Cases. Trust me, I love your display, and it was probably done for the thread, but it still reminded me of a display in one of those cases. They look so cool.

Happy hunting, friend. Thanks for sharing. --Brian Powell
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM

I collect Dots Miller because I have relatives in common with him, his house in Kearny, NJ was two blocks from my first house, and I'm a Pirates fan. Here is most of the stuff I have, or better known as all of the stuff I have scanned. The newspaper article with the original "big glove" photo is now framed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13494756_10154242209865349_6754107694062663622_n.jpg (32.5 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (64.8 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqFHJE4FGNV2GFfCBRkC+COMuQ--60_57.jpg (74.0 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (1).jpg (28.0 KB, 343 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 08-22-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM

Harry Thomas Smith. Has a few cards but not a ton. Most I can't afford (E107, W600). Related to my wife this I have picked up a few items for my son and mines collection.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Ron

[QUOTE=bwbc917;1575142]Some wonderful cards displayed here. Congrats to their owners. I realize this is a pre-war site, but even so I am amazed there has been no mention of Rocky Colavito. Where are the late 50's and early 60's boomers from Cleveland and Detroit?

My extensively-collected non Hall of Famer player is also a post-war guy. Steve Garvey was my favorite player growing up. Was a complete gentleman and somehow, despite the pedestal I had put him on, didn't disappoint when I met him at the age of 10 in 1975. Met him again about 5 years ago and had the pleasure of talking to him for about 30 minutes...another awesome experience! My black-bordered 1971 Topps is a PSA 9. Best I've been able to get (so far) on the even crueler O-Pee-Chee rookie card is a PSA 6.

Now back to our regularly scheduled pre-war programming...
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Default Tim Jordan

Tim Jordan, (Washington 1901, New York AL 1903, Brooklyn 1906-10), because he died the day I was born.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Er1k Greeń.w00d

Oscar Stanage for me. I picked up my first T206 (Stanage) in 1982.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Justin, with your two elegant displays involving Daubert and Rucker, you make a compelling statement on the merits of Type Card Collecting. I've done somewhat the same thing with a half-dozen post-war players I like and admire. Some are HOFers, while others will never be. The point is that if I like them and admire them, I will desire a few cards and coins of them.

Again, a very nice collection, bro. Viewing your assemblages reminds me of why I prefer displays of cards in All-State Display Cases. Trust me, I love your display, and it was probably done for the thread, but it still reminded me of a display in one of those cases. They look so cool.

Happy hunting, friend. Thanks for sharing. --Brian Powell

Thanks Brian. I love a good type card collection (or player, rookie, HoF, etc). I think a little focus makes a display more interesting. No wrong way to collect, except angry and stressful imo.

I love seeing collections like Dots Miller above. He was somebody who was never on my radar, but after seeing that I went to SABR to read his bio. Great thread.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

I collect Doc Oberlander cards. No relation, but the only Oberlander to play in the majors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Judge Doc 348-3 PSA 4-5.jpg (41.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Oberlander Old Judge 4 Syracuse.jpg (51.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Old Judge 348-1.jpg (68.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Old Judge 348-2 and 3.jpg (68.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Old Judge 348-4.jpg (67.1 KB, 234 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 AM
Phil Garry

Many of the great Negro League players who are not yet enshrined in Cooperstown, including: Alejandro Oms, Dick Lundy, Cannonball Redding and others.....
Old 08-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't have a good picture of the collection, but I collect Whitey Glazner, because once you have these two you might as well go for all of them. Mainly I just need the Lou Gertenrich now to finish the collection. Unfortunately, there's almost certainly only one of them out there, and I have no idea who owns it. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz Glazner.jpg (76.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg W573 CdM front.jpg (16.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg W573 CdM back.jpg (14.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
I collect Doc Oberlander cards. No relation, but the only Oberlander to play in the majors.
I'm fairly certain that having 11 cards of the same Old Judge player is considered hoarding. Nice collection though, especially the Syracuse version at the top
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 08-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.