NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-25-2023, 05:21 PM

Default Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

Somewhat serious questions:

Will the Swifties have any near term impact on the value of Travis Kelce's cards?

How long will it take for Topps Now (or whoever is licensed to produce NFL cards) to come out with a Taylor Swift / Travis Kelce card memorializing the game over the weekend?

If she marries him, would it be bigger than Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio?

Last edited by bk400; 09-25-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:36 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Q: Who's the great catch and who's the tight end?

(but, seriously, they make a nice looking couple)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-25-2023, 05:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post

Will the Swifties have any near term impact on the value of Travis Kelce's cards?

How long will it take for Topps Now (or whoever is licensed to produce NFL cards) to come out with a Taylor Swift / Travis Kelce card memorializing the game over the weekend?

More like Ja-Lo and A-Rod.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-25-2023, 05:38 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:

1. Doubt it
2. Probably not long
3. No
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

The celebrity worship in this country is really sick IMO. And the vast majority of the celebs are pampered, egomaniacal, self-consumed horror shows. About the last people worthy of that kind of attention. There are exceptions.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-25-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

She is the living embodiment of fingernails on a chalkboard. (The 3 seconds it took to write this is the only time I'll ever waste on that a-hole of a narcissist again.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:23 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisad...h=73d8ee276877

States ranked by number of Taylor Swift fans (https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohio-ha...ort/44477419):
1. Ohio
2. Minnesota
3. Missouri
4. Kentucky
5. Mississippi

To summarize the above, for better or for worse, Taylor Swift is to representative America as Derek Jeter is to Manhattan. If she starts posting about Travis Kelce and the Chiefs, watch out...
Old 09-25-2023, 08:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisad...h=73d8ee276877

States ranked by number of Taylor Swift fans (https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohio-ha...ort/44477419):
1. Ohio
2. Minnesota
3. Missouri
4. Kentucky
5. Mississippi

To summarize the above, for better or for worse, Taylor Swift is to representative America as Derek Jeter is to Manhattan. If she starts posting about Travis Kelce and the Chiefs, watch out...
And how long until their breakup dominates the tabloids and social media and she writes some heartachy song about him? Yawn.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-25-2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:54 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Who????

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:57 AM

Fanatics reported a 400% increase in Kelce sales after the game.

Not sure her fans buy cards though haha.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Who????
Chiefs Tight End and likely future hall-of-famer.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:52 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Pre War.....

Swiftie was born in 1989. I can see the relevance now on this site.

Pre War.

Afghanistan that is!

Old 09-26-2023, 06:07 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
Swiftie was born in 1989. I can see the relevance now on this site.

Pre War.

Afghanistan that is!

Lol !
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-26-2023, 06:14 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Lol !
Swift Disclaimer:

As a US Army Combat Veteran of Afghanistan (2010-11), I'm allowed to make that joke!

lol

Old 09-26-2023, 07:18 PM
Tim Odeen

I'm not a Swiftie, but I applaud her. She is the biggest pop singer in the world and her music is free from drugs and relatively free from sex. But filled with drama! And she is good at creating lines that are memorable.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 09-26-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
Swift Disclaimer:

As a US Army Combat Veteran of Afghanistan (2010-11), I'm allowed to make that joke!

lol

As a guy whose former place of work in Manhattan no longer exists, I'm thankful for people like you who went over there to settle the score. I only wish that we withdrew from Afghanistan in a more honorable way, if at all.

As for Taylor Swift, I am not a fan, but I think if you're looking for pop stars that earn their living through actual musical talent as opposed to other attributes, I think she's pretty on the mark. I just hope for the sake of our youth that she doesn't turn into Britney or Madonna as the years tick on.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

scary but the more she comes to games to more hype for football and related merchandise to him. Be interesting to see if she is at the Sunday Night game and the impact on ratings, talk by the broacasters at the game (and the Sports talk radio the next day of the game. Big talk on ESPN radio and WFAN in NY)

meanwhile if he shows up at her concert I do not think anything extra in hype will occurr.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-28-2023, 08:27 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I've never been called a Swiftie and am proud of it, even though I have a couple of Swifties in my extended family. Coordinating the schedules of Travis and Taylor will be difficult at least in the fall. Currently Taylor's carbon foot print is larger than Australia, but the average Swiftie could care less about enlarging it to accommodate Travis. It won't be long, I imagine, before the climate change activists will be protesting at Arrowhead Stadium (aka GEHA). I don't think this is going to end well.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:29 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Swifties are great for reaching those hard-to-clean parts of your kitchen floor.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I've never been called a Swiftie and am proud of it, even though I have a couple of Swifties in my extended family. Coordinating the schedules of Travis and Taylor will be difficult at least in the fall. Currently Taylor's carbon foot print is larger than Australia, but the average Swiftie could care less about enlarging it to accommodate Travis. It won't be long, I imagine, before the climate change activists will be protesting at Arrowhead Stadium (aka GEHA). I don't think this is going to end well.
They will never protest her or her fellow elites, that's not how they roll.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's hard to understand why so many people seem to care. It's also hard to understand why people put their whole lives out on social media for the world to see.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:08 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
scary but the more she comes to games to more hype for football and related merchandise to him. Be interesting to see if she is at the Sunday Night game and the impact on ratings, talk by the broacasters at the game (and the Sports talk radio the next day of the game. Big talk on ESPN radio and WFAN in NY)

meanwhile if he shows up at her concert I do not think anything extra in hype will occurr.
I'm cringing at the thought of Taylor Swift joining Kelce and Mahomes in some of their many TV commercials.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and that one will dislike the next generations popular music.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:31 AM

I think Kelce likes talking about it and is happy to share almost any detail he can. I don't think it's her bringing the attention to herself.

Last edited by packs; 09-28-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and that one will dislike the next generations popular music.
It's interesting but I think people's brains get attuned to what they listened to in their formative years. My parents grew up with classical and the standards, and to them all rock n' roll sounded the same (i.e., noise), which my brothers and I just could not for the life of us understand.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-28-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:36 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And how long until their breakup dominates the tabloids and social media and she writes some heartachy song about him? Yawn.
Really about all there is here in essence.

That said, I ever so slightly prefer this news from Chiefs-land than anything to do with Mahomes wife and/or brother.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Tony

Quote:
The celebrity worship in this country is really sick IMO. And the vast majority of the celebs are pampered, egomaniacal, self-consumed horror shows. About the last people worthy of that kind of attention. There are exceptions.
Agreed Peter. I have feeling this is all a big set up anyway. Interesting that the Kelce brothers have a show out on Amazon Prime, the same company with exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night football and some playoffs. Why not bring the biggest pop start in the world into the mix as she just concluded the US leg of her tour and pick up some headlines, likes and non NFL viewers. Whole thing sounds fixed to me.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Taylor Swift is nowhere even close to being on my list of top one million things wrong with this world.

All I see is a young artist with real music skills who seems to bring joy to the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-29-2023 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
Agreed Peter. I have feeling this is all a big set up anyway. Interesting that the Kelce brothers have a show out on Amazon Prime, the same company with exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night football and some playoffs. Why not bring the biggest pop start in the world into the mix as she just concluded the US leg of her tour and pick up some headlines, likes and non NFL viewers. Whole thing sounds fixed to me.

This is my new favorite conspiracy theory. I can't tell who has anything to gain from it but that's what tells me it's got legs.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:44 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Taylor Swift is nowhere even close to being on my list of top one million things wrong with this world.

All I see is a young artist with real music skills who seems to bring joy to the lives of hundreds of millions of people.
I agree. She actually has musical talent and writes her own songs. I remember when my teen daughter asked me to buy Taylor's first CD at Target. The employee's had never heard of her and had to go in the back to find me a copy. Things have certainly changed.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:24 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I agree. She actually has musical talent and writes her own songs. I remember when my teen daughter asked me to buy Taylor's first CD at Target. The employee's had never heard of her and had to go in the back to find me a copy. Things have certainly changed.
and She takes care of her people.
And when she puts on a show she puts on a long long show and gives her fans their moneys worth

You can see her movie soon. I read that she filmed her show and is turning it into a movie for the swifties that could not get to her shows

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Robert J. Miller

Swiftie fan or not, Kelce fan or not, I would never compare Taylor Swift to Marilyn Monroe or Kelce to Joe DiMaggio. Just no comparison.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
And when she puts on a show she puts on a long long show and gives her fans their moneys worth

You can see her movie soon. I read that she filmed her show and is turning it into a movie for the swifties that could not get to her shows
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/02/busin...rew/index.html
Old 09-29-2023, 11:28 AM
Dave

I started to comment in this thread. Then I caught myself and realized I really had nothing to say. I'm an old man now. This isn't for me.

Then for some reason, this clip popped into my head.

https://youtu.be/7Ark799XbkI?si=8myGyGyUFJRl6lZg
Old 09-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

Her movie pre-sale tickets have sold out in some locations. I can remember when George Strait came out with his movie, Pure Country. My mom dragged us kids along to get the free promo posters.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-29-2023, 05:25 PM

What will be the title of the song she writes when they break up. I'm thinking "My tight end didn't score."
Old 09-29-2023, 06:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
What will be the title of the song she writes when they break up. I'm thinking "My tight end didn't score."
I split with my end?

Old 09-29-2023, 06:54 PM
Dave

“Heartbreak Huddle”
Old 09-30-2023, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Swiftie fan or not, Kelce fan or not, I would never compare Taylor Swift to Marilyn Monroe or Kelce to Joe DiMaggio. Just no comparison.
I agree that Kelce doesn't (yet) have the athletic track record or broad cultural status that Joe DiMaggio had. Maybe if Tom Brady were the man of the hour, it might be closer.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Taylor Swift is bigger than Marilyn Monroe.

Swift's fan base is demographically broader (not sure how many female fans Marilyn Monroe had, but I suspect her admirers trended heavily male), and her musical talents will resonate far longer than those of Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn Monroe basically had a 12-year career before she died. Taylor Swift has already had a 15-year career, and I'm not sure she's even hit her peak.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:14 AM
Tim Odeen

I don't know if Swift/Kelce equals ARod & JLo, or Brady & Gisele, or even Monroe & Dimaggio. But what I do know is Swift is definitely a bigger cultural symbol than JLo and Monroe. Swift tweeted to her fans to register to vote. The next day 35k Swifties registered to vote. This weekend, Swift has influenced the secondary ticket market for Chiefs tickets for just being in the stadium.

I need to add that my niece, 16, is a Swiftie. My Bro-in-law through his Costco membership received pre-sale perks to buy her Eras Tour tickets at box office prices. He bought two tickets. My sister and niece went and had a spectacular time. My niece bought a semi-formal dress, and made dozens of bracelets to trade with other Swifties. We thought it was weird and worried she might be setting herself up for failure. My sister said when they got to the stadium, at least 50% of the teen girls looked like my niece in gowns and dresses with bracelets up to their elbows. Everyone was trading bracelets and having a good time. Very few men in sight. NYT reported because so few men attended the events, men's bathrooms became de facto women's bathrooms.

Anyway, my niece came home gushing about how awesome the concert was and how great a time she had.

To me, Swift is a great role model for teen girls. She's smart, kinda dorky, very original and creative, business savvy, charitable. She's not a sex symbol as far as I know. She doesn't promote drugs. I can see why my niece follows her. And it's probably why her concert tour was a global smash hit.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'm too old to understand the appeal or the culture, but I agree she doesn't seem trashy and if her worst sin is a series of failed public romances so be it.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:23 PM
Matt G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Swifties are great for reaching those hard-to-clean parts of your kitchen floor.
Under rated joke. Made me laugh out loud!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 10-23-2023, 11:27 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

My wife religiously watches the Bills so that got me through the 1pm games. Swift being at the Chiefs got her interested enough to let a 4pm game play in the house. So thumbs up from me.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

As annoying as all frickin' hell it is to be forced to watch Taylor Swift's reaction to every single play in a football game, at least she's still a far distant second to Joe Buck in the NFL game annoyance factor.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 10-28-2023, 03:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39493226793...3ABFBM0si1gu9i

Old 10-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
As annoying as all frickin' hell it is to be forced to watch Taylor Swift's reaction to every single play in a football game, at least she's still a far distant second to Joe Buck in the NFL game annoyance factor.
+1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-28-2023, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of her earliest videos is, ironically, about the star of the high school FB team falling for her instead of the head cheerleader. And I just read she's now a billionaire.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-28-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Overheard today: "What time's the Taylor Swift game on?"

We are doomed as a society.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-29-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
It's interesting but I think people's brains get attuned to what they listened to in their formative years. My parents grew up with classical and the standards, and to them all rock n' roll sounded the same (i.e., noise), which my brothers and I just could not for the life of us understand.
It has been reported that nursing home residents perk up if they are “forced” to listen to their musical favorites when they were youth.

My choice of nursing homes would be the “American Bandstand Convalescent Center.”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
It has been reported that nursing home residents perk up if they are “forced” to listen to their musical favorites when they were youth.

My choice of nursing homes would be the “American Bandstand Convalescent Center.”
I'm with Bob Seger, still liking that old time rock and roll.