NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Default Hello Net54, My new member introduction.

Hello Net54,

Now that I have gotten familiar with the site. It is time for my proper introduction.

I was born in 1977. Grew up in the pacific northwest.
My grandest card pull was in 5th grade when I was introduced to the phrase "F*** face".
I didnt even know I had pulled that card from the cello pack until I heard about it and looked in my stash. Immediately knew it's hot market value and traded it to my local hobby shop for a 1978 Eddie Murray RC.

Did the usual collecting through the 1980's and early 90's.

Fast forward to 2008 and I find myself with a career and some money to spend. Ebay was my friend and I began my pursuit of vintage. T206 red portrait cobb, 1933 Goudey #53 Ruth, 1954 Topps Aaron. It was an exciting time for me.

I look back and realize how much the hobby has brought me joy as a kid. It got even better as an adult. I was blessed to be in a situation to purchase cards on a downswing during that 2008-2011 time frame.
It was all meant to be.

I am an active member over on the PSA forums.

Lurked a plenty on net54. I am honored to have finally joined the community of elite vintage collecting knowledge here on Net54.

I realize collecting can be an obsessive and lonely hobby. So I find outlets like these boards are essential to the well being of us crazy collectors.
I look forward to contributing where I can.

Thanks for reading.

Martin.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Welcome. We share a birth year, though I was never lucky enough to pull that particular card in all my trips to the card shop back in '89.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome...and great trade for the Murray RC! Enjoy the great resources on Net54.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:03 PM
J0hn Collin$

I'm also the same age, a '77 Pices. I knew all about the Ripken FF hoopla as an elementary school kid, but had never pulled one from a pack. That Christmas we went up to visit my grandmother in PA, and one stop was for my Dad to see one of his old high-school buddies - who collected cards himself (I remember his Red Man's from the 50's) and knew I was into them. He presented me with a box of '89 Fleer wax that he had purchased at the beginning of the year - and suddenly voila! There were at least 2 FF cards pulled. My Dad and his buddy (who until then didn't know the story) busted a gut laughing over the whole thing.

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-27-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Art Levenson

What exactly is a F*** card? We speaking in code now?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusturd View Post
He’s talking about the 1989 Billy Ripken “Fuck Face” card.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Welcome Martin. Feel free to share some pics. It's always fun looking at eye candy.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
He’s talking about the 1989 Billy Ripken “Fuck Face” card.
Art - the FF was on the bat knob in Billy Ripken's photo. There were at least two corrected versions.

Martin- Welcome aboard! Good to know that someone else realizes that we live in an 'obsessive and lonely hobby'. I may be one of the few collectors remaining in my town of 250K - and if there are others, I don't know them...but, I've 'met' a few Net54 members in my state and a whole bunch from all over...so, Net54 helps with the lonely part, but enables with the obsessive part...and, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-27-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Welcome. We share a birth year, though I was never lucky enough to pull that particular card in all my trips to the card shop back in '89.
Seems a lot of us come from the same age group! Thank you for the welcome!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Welcome...and great trade for the Murray RC! Enjoy the great resources on Net54.
Thank you. If I remember correctly that Murray RC was $50 in trade value. Straight up swap for the FF Ripken.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:21 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
My Dad and his buddy (who until then didn't know the story) busted a gut laughing over the whole thing.

Welcome to the boards!
You know what’s funny I remember my friends dad buying these up like he was going to retire on them. Caused a huge interest in cards even outside the normal crowds!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusturd View Post
I didn’t know if we can say the F word on these boards. Just following the rules.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Welcome Martin. Feel free to share some pics. It's always fun looking at eye candy.
Thanks DeanH3. I’ll share some of my collection one of these days.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Raymond, some of my childhood friends understand the hobby but don’t share my obsession as adults. Lurking on the boards was lonely in itself. I’ll look forward to getting to know some of you on the board.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I didn’t know if we can say the F word on these boards. Just following the rules.
Welcome to the forum. Think of us as PG rated. No F bombs please. But you can still get the point across. We do have pre-teens that read the board occasionally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1933worchbancroft.jpg (38.3 KB, 54 views)