NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Honestly if he was the shop owners friend and honestly felt you were taking advantage of his friend with your offer I have zero problem with him opening his mouth. Were they average hi numbers it were the tougher ones there. Honestly ion the surface I agree with your premise but without knowing all the facts inm not positive he was wrong
Old 09-09-2018, 01:36 PM

If a guy owns a card shop he should reasonably be expected to know what he has and price them for what he wants to sell them for.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I don't think I've experienced that sort of thing directly, but yes, I would be annoyed. But I'd also be kinda annoyed at the dealer if he somehow let that affect his price.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Jonathan Sterling

And let's not forget Net 54 BST. Going on an active thread where a deal has already been struck and telling the seller " you hope he wasn't taken advantage of". When clearly what you mean "is I saw this late and want these cards and will pay more money" is wrong, unethical I think is the correct term.
There have been similar threads about this type of behavior on Ebay before but the recent example on BST is the clearest example of this type of unethical behavior I have seen in a long time.
JMHO
Old 09-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Johnny

From my experience in the hobby when the conversation about cost or money comes along people act very weird/strange. I’ve witnesses excitement, fear, shock and paranoia sometimes all at once.

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-09-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Howard & James (posts 9 & 10)- those are two excellent ways to handle the situation described...bravo!

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-09-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Howard Chasser

Default What!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
And let's not forget Net 54 BST. Going on an active thread where a deal has already been struck and telling the seller " you hope he wasn't taken advantage of". When clearly what you mean "is I saw this late and want these cards and will pay more money" is wrong, unethical I think is the correct term.
There have been similar threads about this type of behavior on Ebay before but the recent example on BST is the clearest example of this type of unethical behavior I have seen in a long time.
JMHO
Is there a thread about it? Who did that? That's messed up!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Howard:
Yes it is Messed up. Leon gave the the offender an infraction. Go to BST under Modern 1980 and newer, the thread is 1979 1981 and 1983 Vending Boxes.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
So I'm at one of my favorite LCS today picking out a few cards for personal collection but also resale purposes. We have a pretty good report over the years and while his prices are usually HIGH END retail he and I have come to an understanding that I don't pay those prices, so long as I buy a larger lot of cards. I typically pick up some off-grade stuff, random miscuts, etc. and so it is in his best interest and mine to come up with a price that works for both us....and for the most part it usually works out.

Anyway, today I had my usual pile of this stuff and as he is flipping through them considering my offer this LOUDMOUTH regular watching the transaction decides to have diarrhea of the mouth and run his mouth on and on about how TOUGH the '61 high numbers I have picked out are to get, especially compared to the '62s, etc. and a couple other pearls of wisdom. Anyway, by the end of the deal, my shop owner buddy needless to say seem slightly disappointed with my offer price, probably in part by HOW TOUGH THESE 61 HIGH NUMBERS were according to the jabber-jaw in the peanut gallery...

Am I right to be upset? I shot an ugly luck towards the blabber-mouth but also wanted to give a swift kick to the cajones.... Am I overreacting????
Dealer seemed "slightly disappointed"

"probably . . . according to the . . . peanut gallery"

Was "slightly disappointed" your perception, or did he tell you so?

Is "probably" your assumption?

Lot's of ways to interpret things or misinterpret things.

Not being there, couldn't say if you are overreacting or not.

The big question is . . .Did you buys the cards at a price the two of you agreed upon?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:19 PM
je.sse @rnot

I agree running your mouth while someone else is trying to make a deal is pretty bad form. Unless some little old lady is about to be ripped off selling her husband's collection I would keep any comments to myself.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80