NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2018, 02:00 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Sorry, the video was not really meant to be a detailed look at the cards. I just thought it would be fun to show my actual reactions. Iíll post a few pics tomorrow. Iím sure there is something Iím missing on the Wilson, I should have looked over it better before sending it in for grading, I admit that.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Fair enough.....

Ok, this is my opinion on the Wilson only.

Without any other defects like OC, Staining, Print Defects etc......,this card is a straight 6. I think you thought the same thing in the video?

However, it does have some slight staining on the borders, and the print dot on the front up top to the right. Print circle? I understand that 1933 Goudey's do have these issues occasionally but to me this card is a 6 PD or a 6 ST which technically puts it 2 grades below a 6. Hence the 4 grade.

I believe if this as sent to PSA it would be a 4 or a PSA 6 (ST) or PSA 6 (PD).

Now why did Probstein call it EX/MT? Because on the surface it does exhibit a strong EX/MT appearance. Of course the ST or the PD could be subjective based on personal opinion or tolerances. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for posting, Mike

Last edited by vtgmsc; 09-09-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:40 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Ok, this is my opinion on the Wilson only.

Without any other defects like OC, Staining, Print Defects etc......,this card is a straight 6. I think you thought the same thing in the video?

However, it does have some slight staining on the borders, and the print dot on the front up top to the right. Print circle? I understand that 1933 Goudey's do have these issues occasionally but to me this card is a 6 PD or a 6 ST which technically puts it 2 grades below a 6. Hence the 4 grade.

I believe if this as sent to PSA it would be a 4 or a PSA 6 (ST) or PSA 6 (PD).

Now why did Probstein call it EX/MT? Because on the surface it does exhibit a strong EX/MT appearance. Of course the ST or the PD could be subjective based on personal opinion or tolerances. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for posting, Mike
Add to that three of the four back corners have noticeable fraying without putting it under light or high magnification and on the back above the 211 there is a small bit of the top border that is flaking off.

That McCovey is nearly missing an entire border. Never gonna 6.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
1972 Icee Bear Basketball PSA 8 Set (16/20, 80%)

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 3
Old 09-09-2018, 04:08 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Yeah, it looked so nice and I put some faith in Probstein.

My experience is to be very careful when buying ungraded cards from Probstein. He has a 30 day return policy, which is great. But he doesnít provide a very good description like PWCC does if it is a nice ungraded card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 05:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1

Again, all of this difference of opinion shoes the value of third party graders...man all of the returns that would happen before them on disagreements on 'EX' etc..

however, isn't a PSA 6 (st) still considered 'EX' So a PSA 4 with no qualifier can still be the same as PSA 6 'EX' with non mentioned qualifier when selling a raw card....so isn't in fact any EX card with a qualifier still considered an EX?

I have not seen anyone ever say their raw card is a 'EX-st-mk' etc...they just say EX... They just say look at the pictures etc and dont mention an 'EX with qualifier, and thats when i email them during the auction to say anything up with the card as i cant tell by the pictures...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-09-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:35 AM
P@trick R.omolo

FWIW it looks like Beckett gave the Wilson a 4 in a raw review before
it was "cleaned up" a little.

Wilson Beckett 4.jpg

Wilson Goudey.jpgWilson Beckett Goudey.jpg

Wilson Goudey Back.jpgWilson Beckett Goudey Back.jpg

Wilson Goudey - Pair.jpg

Wilson Goudey Back - Copy.jpg
Old 09-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Great looking cards!

Despite the grades, if you ever decide to sell them, some potential buyers / buyers will look past the grades and focus solely on the card itself.

They'll buy the card, not the holder.

Niced cards will still bring the price.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM
pete ullman

I just got some results from my latest sgc submissions...and am quite disappointed on a few as well!! I finally got my cj wajo graded...and was not happy!!!
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Anson

I think all TPG are trying to tighten up. Nobody wants the reputation for being the softest. What I've learned is, the toughest grades are on this forum.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Oh wow! How do you know this/how did you find that out? I mean that's definitely the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
FWIW it looks like Beckett gave the Wilson a 4 in a raw review before
it was "cleaned up" a little.

Attachment 328148

Attachment 328141Attachment 328142

Attachment 328143Attachment 328144

Attachment 328145

Attachment 328146