NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:49 AM
iwantitiwinit's Avatar
iwantitiwinit iwantitiwinit is offline
rob.ert int.rieri
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,465
Default T206 cards poised for largest 2 yr. percentage price increase.

Since we have commented a bit over the past 2 weeks on future t206 price increases how about listing 5 t206's you expect to have the largest percentage price increase using a 2 year time horizon.

Here are mine:

1. Plank
2. Johnson portrait
3. Lajoie portrait
4. Mathewson portrait
5. Tinker portrait

Bonus pick: Magee Portrait (as always)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:20 AM
ruth_rookie's Avatar
ruth_rookie ruth_rookie is offline
Jason “the bambino” Babin
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 127
Default

I have a feeling most selections will be cards that folks already own, sort of a way of justifying previous (or upcoming) purchases. In the trading world we call it “talking your book”. So maybe we should include an “own” or “don’t own” designation? And I’m also gonna leave the big four off of my list, since they’re traded so infrequently that one aggressive buyer can skew the data with one outrageous purchase.

Regardless, here are mine in no particular order:

Cobb bat on (own)
Wajo portrait (don’t own)
Matty portrait (own)
Lajoie portrait (don’t own)
Cobb bat off (own)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:37 AM
jasonc's Avatar
jasonc jasonc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 403
Default

Nice thread, Robert.

Just my opinions:

1. Plank
2. Johnson (Portrait)
3. Young (Portrait)
4. Cobb (Bat Off)
5. Demmitt/O'Hara
__________________
T206 Monster #: 166
Also collect: T205, T207, E90-1 and 70's, 80's OPC/Topps Hockey and Baseball.


Excellent people to deal with: Baseball*Collectibles, obcmac, marcdelpercio, Michael Peich, dougscats, jimivintage, trobba, mybuddyinc, Luke, btcarfagno, Bocabirdman, npa589
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Gradedcardman's Avatar
Gradedcardman Gradedcardman is offline
Adam Goldenberg
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,292
Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I have a feeling most selections will be cards that folks already own, sort of a way of justifying previous (or upcoming) purchases. In the trading world we call it “talking your book”. So maybe we should include an “own” or “don’t own” designation? And I’m also gonna leave the big four off of my list, since they’re traded so infrequently that one aggressive buyer can skew the data with one outrageous purchase.

Regardless, here are mine in no particular order:

Cobb bat on (own)
Wajo portrait (don’t own)
Matty portrait (own)
Lajoie portrait (don’t own)
Cobb bat off (own)

I would bet that is why most post anyway !!
__________________
Adam Goldenberg
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2018, 10:28 AM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I have a feeling most selections will be cards that folks already own, sort of a way of justifying previous (or upcoming) purchases. In the trading world we call it “talking your book”.
This just became my favorite new phrase, thanks for the knowledge.

I think this is half the discussion on prices and "future growth". Ever notice how a low sales point is always an anomaly, however a new crazy high oddball brings only the question "is this the new normal?"
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Sean's Avatar
Sean Sean is offline
Sean Costello
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Woodland, California
Posts: 3,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Since we have commented a bit over the past 2 weeks on future t206 price increases how about listing 5 t206's you expect to have the largest percentage price increase using a 2 year time horizon.

Here are mine:

1. Plank
2. Johnson portrait
3. Lajoie portrait
4. Mathewson portrait
5. Tinker portrait

Bonus pick: Magee Portrait (as always)
Here are mine:

1. Plank
2. Cobb bat on shoulder
3. Johnson portrait
4. Young portrait
5. Evers blue sky

PS- I own one of each

And Robert, did you mean Magie?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:04 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
I have a feeling most selections will be cards that folks already own, sort of a way of justifying previous (or upcoming) purchases. In the trading world we call it “talking your book”. So maybe we should include an “own” or “don’t own” designation? And I’m also gonna leave the big four off of my list, since they’re traded so infrequently that one aggressive buyer can skew the data with one outrageous purchase.

Regardless, here are mine in no particular order:

Cobb bat on (own)
Wajo portrait (don’t own)
Matty portrait (own)
Lajoie portrait (don’t own)
Cobb bat off (own)
I appreciate you making that distinction, and I like the phrase “talking your book.” I’ve always thought about it as “pumping a card.” Maybe I’m just skeptical, but it feels like there are many examples of dudes going to great lengths to bring exposure to a card “organically” when, coincidentally, one happens to be up for auction. I don’t think this thread is an example of that at all, but there are others on the main board, I believe.

Also, I agree with this list, but I might replace Nap with Cy portrait.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,432
Default

Wagner
Plank
Cobb Green
Johnson Portrait
Mathewson Portrait
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:48 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is offline
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 4,923
Default

Would anyone have said Titus ten years ago?

I'll go with Puttman.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD.

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Over*700* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-18.
Over 500 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.


All my cards are centered, some are just cut incorrectly.

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data, but still a weird dude.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I appreciate you making that distinction, and I like the phrase “talking your book.” I’ve always thought about it as “pumping a card.” Maybe I’m just skeptical, but it feels like there are many examples of dudes going to great lengths to bring exposure to a card “organically” when, coincidentally, one happens to be up for auction. I don’t think this thread is an example of that at all, but there are others on the main board, I believe.

Also, I agree with this list, but I might replace Nap with Cy portrait.
Better than trashing a card you are secretly hoping to win. The old Hal Lewis playbook.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Percentage of Vintage Cards Have Been Graded? OldOriole Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 36 10-28-2017 02:44 AM
Largest number of cards in a set? irv Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 24 06-13-2017 08:31 PM
The worrying increase in Fake Gum Cards and Wrappers in the marketplace rdwyer Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 05-02-2016 03:40 PM
OT: Signed in person valuable cards decrease or increase value? HOF Auto Rookies Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 07-12-2015 07:15 PM
Percentage of Vintage Cards Slabbed in Hobby Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 39 12-23-2006 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


ebay GSB